Cornscalas Arrive

Shakeydeal

Are you sure they're hooked up correctly? Is Bob Crites the one you'd check with?

I believe that everything new -- speakers, wires, electronics -- sounds a little ragged initially, and requires a break-in period. So, depending on just what you're hearing, I would expect them to sound better after 50 to 100 hours from new. MHO, YMMV.

They are certainly more refined and detailed than the Cornwalls. And they don't sound "bad", show much potential. Bass is fine, especially after installing the risers.

But they are a little sharp and relentless. If the midrange settles down a little, I think they will be perfectly fine.

Shakey

There was distinct break-in on the brand new drivers and wire in the AK-4 kits I got several years ago, even in short segments of the Monster Cable wire Klipsch furnished at the time. Perhaps it was just the wire, not the drivers, but then there are the voice coils.

The break-in effect in the AK-4s was mostly increased bass by around 40 hours. However, I usually hear a tamed midrange with new wire, so I'm not pessimistic about this. We'll see.

• Moderators

There is a huge difference in the midrange from what you are use to, also let your ears adjust to the differences, different always sounds off a little but not always wrong ?

Also a little break in can not hurt, even considering some say it should only be a very short time I did notice a big difference from brand new Clll's to how they sounded after many hours, my wife even noticed and commented on the change.

Believe me when I say that have more than a little experience at doing this. I'm not one to drop a pair of speakers into a room and declare it done. I don't give up until I have exhausted all options.

OTOH, you see way too many people in this forum and many other forums, that just flank the ole big screen TV with a pair of speakers and call it a day.Sad......

Shakey

Some good points. 1) Placement and 2) Letting your ears adjust...

I once replaced Cornwalls with Belles and immediately freaked out. I made a HUGE mistake! A few months and a one subwoofer later, I sold the Belles and bought another pair of Cornwalls. What a mistake that was! It wasn't until I put Cornwalls back in the system that I realized just how good those Belles sounded. My ears eventually adjusted back to the Cornwalls and we lived happily ever after but you get my point....

Those mid horns are so different, it just takes a while to adjust to the new sound. Give it some time and play with placement. Most important of all, relax and enjoy the tunes!

I did something similar once. Back in the mid 90s I had a pair of Def Tech BP2000s. I ordered a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Silver loudspeakers and waited six weeks for delivery. No sooner than the dealer had gotten out of my driveway did I think I made a mistake. I was on the verge of calling him the next day and asking him to bring the DT speakers back. In the end, the VR4s were head and shoulders above the BP2000s. But it took almost a month to figure that out. You can call it me getting used to the speakers, or the speakers breaking in. Either way, I was happy when it was all said and done.

That was almost 20 years and over 30 pairs of speakers ago.....................

You must have known what the range of answers to your question would be, yes, no, maybe and I dont't knoow. You have almost 20 years of experience with over 30 pairs of Loudspeakers. What has your experience over all this time and all those loudspeakers told you?

What configuration Cornscala did you buy? Three way or two way? What drivers are you using? What amplifier are you using with them? How loud will they play brefore they get bent out of shape?Do you have any other amplifiers to play with? Just because your existing amp was a good match for your old speakers does not mean it will be so for these. There is no such thing as one amp for all speakers. You are going to do exactly what you are going to do. So get on with it and try to have some fun, consider this just another learning experience. Best regards Moray James.

You must have known what the range of answers to your question would be, yes, no, maybe and I dont't knoow. You have almost 20 years of experience with over 30 pairs of Loudspeakers. What has your experience over all this time and all those loudspeakers told you?

What configuration Cornscala did you buy? Three way or two way? What drivers are you using? What amplifier are you using with them? How loud will they play brefore they get bent out of shape?Do you have any other amplifiers to play with? Just because your existing amp was a good match for your old speakers does not mean it will be so for these. There is no such thing as one amp for all speakers. You are going to do exactly what you are going to do. So get on with it and try to have some fun, consider this just another learning experience. Best regards Moray James.

and this is why i love the klipsch forum above all others. :)

My experience with other loudspeakers confirms break in (IMHO). But this is my first foray into horn speakers, hence the OP.

I am currently using a VTL amplifier, push-pull 75 watts/channel in triode but I'm not sure it's the best fit for the Cornwalls or the Conrscalas. I just took delivery of a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos today and will give them a spin tonight.

Shakey

Another thing to keep in mind is that if these are your first 104db
speakers the Amplifiers and Source become even more important. The first
watt of the Amplifier is paramount and any Grunge in the source will be ruthlessly revealed.

I use 2a3 and 45 SET amps. They only have 2 to 3 watts per channel.