LaScala's

Speed

Hey,

Good news. My employer had a pair used as p.a. speakers in a rec. center. I noticed they were no longer there, and asked about there whereabouts. They bought a portable p.a. system, and moved the LaScala's to a storage barn. I asked if I could give them a new home, and was told I could have them. I loaded them up, took them home, and I am now a proud owner of 1977 LaScala's !!! I am using a Yamaha mx-2 amp, and they sound great. My Chorus 2's will be my rear speakers now. I just need a Heresy for a center channel and my system will be complete. Happy day...post-54992-0-94280000-1383873157_thumb.jpost-54992-0-58360000-1383873128_thumb.j

Have them? WOW!! That has to be the best deal possible and they appear to be in mint condition to boot! I thought I got a good deal when I got a ratty looking pair for $500. CONGRATULATIONS!!

If you have the room I would be patient and keep an eye out for a single LaScala... I think you will like it better than the Heresy for the center. Heresy would be great IMO for heights, and surrounds.

Edited by ellisr63

Congratulations and Welcome to the Klipsch Family! :emotion-19:

Are the Crossovers original? If so, they will need to be updated. Sure, they sound good now, but wait until you get them back into spec., they will blow your mind.

I waited a year or so to update the crossovers and once I did, I was kicking myself for waiting so long. I've never heard bass like La Scala bass, in my life. WOW! But the old Crossovers won't do it.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Thanks everyone ! The crossovers are original. Should I ship them to Bob for a rebuild, or buy his replacements ? I have heard LaScala's don't play bass. It sounds awesome to me, not super low, but impressive. Better bass than my Chorus 2's for sure. Chorus plays heavy bass parts well, but if there is subtle bass, it seems to have a lack response for softer bass lines or bass drums.

As for a center channel, another Scala would be ideal, but size wise I'm not sure I could pull it off. In 1985, I heard a pair of Klipschorns in a night club while stationed in Korea. I was amazed. I said , one day I will get a pair. Can't deal with the corner placement, so Scala's will do fine. I love them ! Can't stop looking at them...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone ! The crossovers are original. Should I ship them to Bob for a rebuild, or buy his replacements ? I have heard LaScala's don't play bass. It sounds awesome to me, not super low, but impressive. Better bass than my Chorus 2's for sure. Chorus plays heavy bass parts well, but if there is subtle bass, it seems to have a lack response for softer bass lines or bass drums.

As for a center channel, another Scala would be ideal, but size wise I'm not sure I could pull it off. In 1985, I heard a pair of Klipschorns in a night club while stationed in Korea. I was amazed. I said , one day I will get a pair. Can't deal with the corner placement, so Scala's will do fine. I love them ! Can't stop looking at them...

Why not get a sub to go deeper on the bass?

Those look to be in remarkably good shape. Don't get sucked into the whole 'you really need subs' debate. Just enjoy them for a while.

Even $500 would have been a great deal.

Bruce

I am happy with the bass on mine... But if you want more then a sub is the way to go IMO.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the great score! That's a good-looking pair of La Scalas.

As for the crossovers, just listen to the speakers for a while and get used to their sound, as a baseline, or you won't know what any changes you make will have done. There's no need to buy new crossovers, either. All that goes bad (after 15-20 years) is the capacitors, and Bob Crites sells sets of them. It's an easy soldering job to replace them, and they don't cost all that much.

When setting up your sub, you'll want to have its roll-off set pretty high, since La Scalas start to roll off their bass at about 100 Hz, and by 50 Hz or so, there's not much there. To allow some overlap to cover the high-end roll-off of the sub and the low-end roll-off of the Scalas, it's good to set the sub's top end as high as 120-150 Hz.

Different rooms have different effects on bass response, so some experimenting will be necessary to get the best sound in your particular room.

For the centre channel, a Belle makes a great TV stand and an ideal centre between a pair of La Scalas. An actual La Scala is great, too, obviously. I used a Heresy III as a centre for a few years, and it sounded fine. When I found a good deal on a pair of Belles, and swapped out the Heresy III for a Belle, it was a definite improvement, but the previous combo was okay, too.

Happy listening!

Edited by Islander