Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

bust out the KLIT and give them the full show !

I always wanted a utilikilt.

http://www.utilikilts.com/

I thought about cast iron but you cant find any quality pans built today even lodge are very rough surface (cooking surface)

If those are the ones they sell at Cabelas, then that is what I have.  I have been using it for 4 or 5 years with no problems. 

Well Smoking some ribs, I have been practing every weekend.  Well last weekend and today, for a competition in 2 weeks.  I have never been big into competition smoking.  But a budy of mine convinced me to do so this time.  I will say it has forced me to finally write down what I do and come up a with plan to be consistent with my cooking.  Though I have enjoyed this every weekend, I don't know if I will do one again.  Now where is that bbq thread we had, all so time for a beer.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 4

Wow, just drinking my first cup before work today and after reading here, I am starving for some reason.

Quite the cook there Joe. When you get a good cookware, you keep it. Have dabbled in cooking since 15,

and Nancy always wanting my pasta dishes. Me, I can handle a couple of bangers just about anytime. :emotion-44:

Edited by billybob
  • Like 4

• Moderators
joessportster, on 11 Jan 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

I thought about cast iron but you cant find any quality pans built today even lodge are very rough surface (cooking surface) Most people with a good pan want to keep them or want a pretty penny as they seem to be somewhat collectible now days

Went to the Lodge outlet store in Tennessee last time we were up there. The selection was great, anything you could want in cast iron, we picked out one that was the size and shape we wanted, strange thing was I found it on a rack which was supposedly seconds, it was perfect and smooth couldn't figure out why it was on that rack ?

Overall they all looked fine and were smooth, I don't know if that is normal or the outlet stores get the better quality ? I have a Martin and this Lodge is just as smooth, luck maby ?

I liked this model (P12S) because it's 12" and has rounded sides which is different form most cast iron.

post-9700-0-42440000-1421001533_thumb.jp

• Like 6

No thats right alright. Somethings are only good with a cast iron pan.

You can do it but...modern tech.

Swamp cabbage cooked in an iron kettle over a nice wood fire.

Bacon drippings also called for in the recipe. Some do black pepper.

Cayenne is easier on my digestion I found, while not making hot to taste.

Perfect according to Justin Wilson while adding fatback bacon. Ahh-eee'

Edited by billybob
  • Like 4

Turned warm and damp overnight.  I do warm very well by the way.  Rain several days this week predicted.  May be a good week to check off some new movies (Sniper, Taken, Gambler).....guy flicks.

Jake went to the dog park Sunday and then a long walk in the afternoon with me and LF.  Poor boy was tuckered out and stiff getting up this morning.

Coffee in bed with LF :)  Get back with you guys later.

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

• Like 7

Good Morning, school delayed 2 hours for rain (WTF),  Oh Well, breakfast and first cup down the hatch soon as the boys hit the bus its off to the DR.  The lodge I am talking about is the stuff sold locally and on amazon, they are terrible likely a b stock for both as the prices are pretty low,  I will look and see if they have a lodge store online they should carry the best quality.

Since I am not able to work I enjoy cooking alot more....................(the wife secretly enjoys it also :D )

• Like 3

Mornin' everybody ... Good news for us .... Aubrey came home from the hospital yesterday much improved. Hoping this is the end of it. There were some 40 other kids at Children's for the same viral respiratory illness. Really bad stuff. Thanks again for all your prayers and encouragement. :)

Yesterday was pretty average ... finally got rid of the Xmas decorations for another year, watched our Broncos stink it up and pampered ourselves with a great rib eye roast. Love to cook. Gotta get some of the cast iron you've been talking about. Back later .....

• Like 7

Too Much Coffee

I was addicted to coffee. Probably my own fault. When I was married, my wife was a little coffee hound, despite her high blood pressure and sleepless nights. I researched how to make good coffee. Used a water filter. Got the beans. Got a oval grinder. Made it fresh every day. Delicious. But I got headaches, stomach aches, nasty and cravings if I didn’t have a cup every morning. My mother’s and restaurant coffee made me sick; didn’t seem to be strong enough! Felt like my body was rejecting it. Then I got headaches, stomachaches, jitters, nauseousness and diarrhea when I did drink mine!

I was working at Applied Bank in Boca Raton when the planes hit the Twin Towers on 9/11. The bank treated everybody like cheap phone slaves in a call center, even professional programmers and Tech Writers. It charged for coffee. Something no business should do. I decided that taking a break, walking down a floor and paying for it was a good time to quit. I think I had to talk an aspirin or two every day for a while for the headaches. I know I gained weight with the munchies. Switching to tea helped.  Now I can have a cup with no problems. Two makes me jittery again. 

Coffee & Ice Cream Diet

When I was young, I had one of the worst possible diets. If I was one pound over weight that day. I would run out the door, grabbing a cup of hot coffee to drink on the cold commute. Grinding my own fresh beans was the single greatest increase in my coffee drinking experience. The coffee broke my overnight fast, gave me something to digest and energy for the busy day. I skipped lunch and sipped cold coffee through the day. Filled up with fluids.

At night, I might have a dinner later, but first I grabbed something quick, easy, cold, smooth and creamy. That’s right, ice cream. Always tasty, always fun to eat, ice cream cut my cravings. I’d go easy on the big late night dinner (no time left for late night exercise). I’d drop a pound that day (probably expulsion of roughage as much as anything else).

The girlfriend out of town recently. She doesn’t like coffee or ice cream snacks. So I revert back to short-term bad habits. Drop a few pounds. Turns out, ice cream is one of the 10 lowest glycemic foods! A diet of narrow food choices is NOT healthy – the widest diversity and selection is best for nutrition and taste - but as a short-term fix to start losing weight, The Coffee and Ice Cream Diet gets me started down the path.  

Favorite ice cream? Hagen Daz Swiss Vanilla Almond, with coconut flakes and chocolate chips, topped with whipped cream  

• Like 7