Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I'm having a hangover today, had a visit from a friend yesterday, he came in the afternoon, we listened to music and played backgammon, early in the evening I start cooking.  We had roast goose breast in an onion, orange honey sauce, brocolli with Sause Bernaise and homemade bread dumplings, we drank Spanish red wine with it. We both drank 4 bottles of red wine til 1 o´clock at night. We were pretty drunk, laughed a lot that night, this morning he went home again after breakfast and I have to recover now .

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

... when I was flying electric R/C helicopters, that was a real problem.

The batteries we used were a single cell, capable of discharging 10A @4v and were the size of a book of matches. 

And YES they would light up if you shorted them. Multi-cell packs were supposed to be stored in ammo cans.

see lithium polymer [li-po] batteries

• Like 4

Welllllll, I had both of my daughters here today and they said everything is fine w/the fridge and to not worry about it.  😂  Thing's running 24/7 so I'll start nosin tomorrow.  No ice and the freezer contents are now in the chest freezer in the garage "just in case."  😂  Suppiosed to drop this week into the 30'si so no hurry.  This teachin of the youngin's is funny.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt AND the bumper sticker but I'll listen.   hahaha 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Welllllll, I had both of my daughters here today and they said everything is fine w/the fridge and to not worry about it.  😂  Thing's running 24/7 so I'll start nosin tomorrow.  No ice and the freezer contents are now in the chest freezer in the garage "just in case."  😂  Suppiosed to drop this week into the 30'si so no hurry.  This teachin of the youngin's is funny.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt AND the bumper sticker but I'll listen.   hahaha 

It’s kinda funny, almost every time I tell @Marvel about some annoying/goofy things the kids are doing, he just kinda laughs and says it sounds familiar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I normally make some roast duck for Christmas dinner.

We had cracked open a ham on Christmas Eve so I didn’t end up making the duck until yesterday.

Brined in a pineapple-orange juice and fresh Thyme mixture and then steamed before a high temp sear in a cast iron skillet in the oven.

Shallots and Chard were then cooked in a balsamic glaze made from the pan drippings.

IMG_2122.jpeg.e92c9bf3074c6ea44fb0a5ee52643867.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg.c8f46156a7094b4a124e49fd73aa3087.jpeg

IMG_2123.jpeg.061058fea9438e53a30995066ca6c0c5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Talked w/@JohnJ for a couple tonite after his road trip to the storage lockers.  He's got what he had there in his place but more to come.  Gonna hit the bed tonight at his place and back on the boxes & sortin tomorrow.  @grasshopper he told me to tell ya he's fillin his doghouse full of cardboard boxes.  He'll be round like a donut when he's ready so there's that update.

Temps dropping this week in Duckburg with nothing else to report!  lol  Carry on!  :)

• Like 4

Dec 28, 2005

I ran into town with my younger brother Zachary to try to find some things at the store.
Gifts that I hadn't quite had time to purchase before Christmas rolled around due to how busy things were at the house with Mom being sick.
The store was closed anyway so I'd have to wait until after new years.
My cell phone rang, an indestructible Kyocera that I'd gotten a a year and a half earlier when the old Motorola had died while everyone was out west for A.G.'s graduation.
It was the home number but when I picked up it was my uncle George, " I'm sorry son, She's gone."
I told him we'd be there in a little while and hung up.
Zachary and I said a word or two and then drove the rest of the way home in near silence.

Earlier in the week Zachary and I had been at the house when Mom woke up from one of her many naps.
She wasn't feeling well started yelling and trying to remove her catheter.
We went in and helped her sit up on the edge of the bed and I put my arms around her in a big hug and tried to hold her still.
Because of the tumors that had been growing in her brain it had been some time since she was able to form coherent sentences.
She babbled some gibberish for a few minutes before seeming to calm down.
I gave her a squeeze and she looked up at me and Zachary and as clear as ever said "I want you to know that I love you. I always will love you."

093F18FC-3ABA-4FFB-8160-1DA5E95F4DBD.thumb.jpeg.bb7e5b1d936ec58d21bd621a4722b668.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

On 12/28/2023 at 10:47 AM, Invidiosulus said:

I gave her a squeeze and she looked up at me and Zachary and as clear as ever said "I want you to know that I love you. I always will love you."

That morning, I was sitting in the bedroom, reading a couple of emails and cards that friends had sent. I read some prayers out loud, and told her that we would miss her, but we would all be ok and  it was alright for her to go.

About that time, the hospice nurse pulled up the driveway, and I told Barbara that I needed to go let her in. She was bringing a morphine pump, as the capsules were too hard for her to swallow. I went out to the kitchen and let the nurse in. She showed me how the pump would work, and then headed down the hall to the bedroom.

She was gone when we got into the room. The nurse said "I think our angel has flown away." 

Anna Grace came with one of her roommates, and we all sat around the table telling stories and drinking the second bottle wine that @fini had sent us from California. That night I fired up the ST70 and Juicy Music Merlin and listened to her favorite music. I'll be forever grateful to the forum members who bought the refurbed Merlin from Mark and sent to us to enjoy the music together while we could. I think of Barbara and you all every time I fire it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Round? What's that Dave? Naaa never!

Oh. 'round here! He, he, he. ;)

I did fill it up several times. Then between downpours I went to the dump six times with the seats folded down again and the back 2/3 of the RDX filled with boxes.

It got colder today as the day went on. When the clouds started spittin' around 3 pm I heard some sleet hitting the cars outside the Kroger. The flurries they called for never came this evening like they called for though.

• Like 3