Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Ventured into the heart of Duckburg to pick up a few things and made a command decision.  Wind?  It's insane.  Rain?  Kinda maybe.  Temp?  Dropping.  Thought of you though @JohnJ.  The girls from Little Athens told me to tell ya hi and they missed you.  They missed you?  Seriously?   😂

Coupled with the Sauce Master's hot sauce?  Honolululululy Pepper @oldtimer?

BOOM!

image.png

Of course I had to.  John was like a kid in a candy shop and has become a repeat offender I think.  Really was sad when they were asking how he was doing.  All I got was a check and a bag.  Just sad!    😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I could tell they were great gals when I met them and asked them how they put those Gyros together! Shredded lettuce check, then sliced onions check, tzatziki sauce check... they make their own there !Didn't know until you told me one of them was the wife of the owner. And they did have the peppercinis that come stock on a Gyro where I'm from. But nobody can put that amount of meat into a little pita like they can!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the back story on their fam @JohnJ.  Two brothers and their family immigrated to the US from Greece.  Both served in WWII then returned to Duckburg and their family. 

Ole Pete ran a shoe shine/hat blocking store on the main drag til he retired and passed.  He never married.  His brother and his wife started the Gyro business and they've always just killed it around here.  Great people and a great family.  His son Chris is running the business now with his wife and daughter.  Those are the two gals you met.  They pretty much run the place cause Chris isn't really a people person like the rest of the family is.

With the girls in there the place is ALWAYS busy cause they take the time to talk and get to know people.  They're just sociable and good peeps.  Chris is all business and doesn't talk much to anyone unless he really knows them. 

Chris's daughter has carried a 4.0 average the entire way thru high school and is now going to college doing the same thing.  4.0 all the way.  The entire family is a plus for the community and everyone loves them so they support them.  EVERYlthing is great they have they make it all from scratch.  All the pastry, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Tarheel well ya did it again.  Yesterday I broke out the big Henckel's and went to work on a "Chuck" roast for a big crockpot of chili.  Threw it into a big skillet and hit it HARD w/the hot sauce Master's best.  Sent the daughter a pic and naturally she wanted some until I told her I hit it with the hot sauce.  😂  💪

Picked up a quarter in August and just had to make a call and snag another 20# of ground beef???  What's wrong with the picture?  lol  Sure she's got a crock pot but it must take too long to get things ready.  lol  We got this!  😂

Cold as sheet here in Duckburg, just enough snow for ground cover.  Still have all my fingers intact and thinking about blowins some dust outta the LS.  Had to clean the coffee pot sooooo we're chill.  No cabin fever here yet!   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

our weather was not stellar last week. Windy and cold... It's visiting y'all now.

I'm liking the iron man football games. The way it's supposed to be.

today, the temps are approaching normal. .

I split wood for the week. Reclaimed area in the garden from the Bermuda grass ... lot of digging.

gonna pay for this tomorrow....

the line from "Old Folk's Boogie" come to mind

"With the right medication ... won't be lazy..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's cold here and been snowing since before I got up at 6:00. I could see it on my vehicle. Now on my second pot of coffee, I've got a pound of dark roast I'm halfway done with. Had to increase the diameter of the grind because it kept getting gummed up.

The guys are here to level the difference between the tiles and the slab so that's good. We're getting our coldest weather yet the next couple of days around here. Wind? We had wind about 45 miles an hour for the best part of the last couple of days. More branches down. It will be a heck of a chore and probably a couple weeks worth of three or four hours a day to clean the limbs out of this place.

• Like 2

Well... the temperature has stayed at 32 since I got up and it looks like we might get a couple inches. @MicroMara remember when we talked about making PWK proud? That's my friend's house over there across the creek. I'd need fully horn loaded speakers!

PXL-20240115-200646336.jpg

• Like 4

Gray skies, a bit more snow and cold af outside.  Middle of next week they're calling for mid-40's?  Crazy.

Neighbor kid next door sent me a txt to see what was shakin.  Told him no cabin fever yet.  Then I asked if his 12 yr old had been out deer hunting w/his 40# compound bow he got for Christmas. lolol  All I need is a kid with a compound bow and 8 arrows next door.  Can't wait til spring and he's out in HIS back yard with it.  I'm a dead man!

Arrow GIF - Arrow GIFs

• Haha 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That's my friend's house over there across the creek. I'd need fully horn loaded speakers!

Easy enough to cover his house and surrounding 5-10 acres in that valley your above.

4 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

All I need is a kid with a compound bow and 8 arrows next door.

Almost spit coffee on my counter when I read that.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dtel said:

Almost spit coffee on my counter when I read that.  

Kid's dad is an electrical engineer so that kid has everything electric you can imagine.  Got an electric bike last spring.  I'm sittin out back and there he is. grinnin at me.  Then it was the collection of toy guns to shoot targets with.  Not dart guns but something that fires lil wads.  So he's gonna show me how to shoot.  Then it was hit football he kicked up on the roof, which took out 3 pieces of soffit.  His dad was gonna fix it but that never happened so now there are 4 pieces after the high winds.  So Dad wonders how I am?  Pray for me cause those arrows are the real deal.  :) 

Maybe his dad could make me an electric chair? :)

Ouchie Arrow GIF - Ouchie Ouch Arrow GIFs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Years ago my brother and I were hanging out in our back yard and we heard our neighbors shooting their .22 at something.

we didn’t think much of it since they were always shooting at squirrels or snakes around the property.

A moment later we hear a wizzzzz right past us and a leaf on the branch next to my head pops loose and drifts to the ground.

Apparently they were shooting at a squirrel in a tree in the vacant area between our houses and weren’t paying attention to what was beyond their target.

IIRC @Marvel offered to shoot at the squirrel from our direction with his Mini-14.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

A moment later we hear a wizzzzz right past us and a leaf on the branch next to my head pops loose and drifts to the ground.

Sounds like fun!  The first arrow that lands in my back yard?  Going out to get it when the range is clear, snap it over my knee and give it back to him in two pieces.  This kid has zero common sense but I get that too.  lol

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Years ago my brother and I were hanging out in our back yard and we heard our neighbors shooting their .22 at something.

we didn’t think much of it since they were always shooting at squirrels or snakes around the property.

Apparently they were shooting at a squirrel in a tree in the vacant area between our houses and weren’t paying attention to what was beyond their target.

IIRC @Marvel offered to shoot at the squirrel from our direction with his Mini-14.

I think it bounced off a branch to come our way.

He's the one that killed the kingsnake, too... after that we had copperheads in the yard.

• Sad 2

We managed to somehow avoid the big snow event yesterday.

Friends of mine 30 minutes north of here got about 10 inches and we got zilch, just lots of rain yesterday as our temps stayed in the upper 30’s until the precipitation passed us by.

This afternoon after the temp dropped into the low 20’s we started getting some flurries.

The kids have a remote day for school tomorrow so we decided to go out for a walk around town while there was still some snow on the ground.

it was around 11° by the time we got back to the house after stopping by the grocery store for some donuts and bacon for breakfast in the morning.

IMG_2239.jpeg.22e53ede24f4bd408a931905e0bb893c.jpeg

IMG_2242.jpeg.0e94cabba3e131f52974c15bbbacd291.jpeg

• Like 6

On 1/15/2024 at 9:17 PM, JohnJ said:

PXL-20240115-200646336.jpg

looks so familliar to me JJ , could be the same forest like the one where I lived 2 decades , the nearest neigbour house was approx. 1.700 feet distance to mine

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

looks so familliar to me JJ , could be the same forest like the one where I lived 2 decades , the nearest neigbour house was approx. 1.700 feet distance to mine

Same here, without the elevation change, snow and large rocks. Ok just lack of close neighbors is as close as we get to that pic. 

• Like 4

Well across the street from me is one of the normal homes around here. Three or four thousand square feet and in a higher tax bracket. I've waved a couple times with no reciprocation so I really don't want to bug them. Besides that, there aren't too many windows in the den where I'll be set up.

Believe me with the 10° this morning, I like more brick around me!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Well across the street from me is one of the normal homes around here. Three or four thousand square feet and in a higher tax bracket. I've waved a couple times with no reciprocation so I really don't want to bug them. Besides that, there aren't too many windows in the den where I'll be set up.

Believe me with the 10° this morning, I like more brick around me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1