Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Hey @dirtmudd I've grown to like side b of that one almost as much as the first side.

Starting to feel more like a home in here. The color I picked for the walls in the main part of the house has a gray hue in the early morning light or any light when it's reflecting the off of all the snow we still have on the ground. In the evening light, without the bright reflections, it has a tan hue to it. Heck, I can see a difference with the back wall and the walls on the right towards the pantry in this pic.

With the flooring in today, it looks better! The current lot does have a lot of the lighter color in there, but I still like it. Walls will need a second coat to satisfy this former painter.

PXL-20240118-150937655.jpg

PXL-20240117-204901691.jpg

• Like 7

Had an old beautiful brick for my first house.  Quarter sawn oak, sliding panel doors, built in quarter sawn kitchen cabinets and I loved that house.  Built in 1920 by a guy who owned the brickyard in that area of town  His superintendant built one exactly like it next door but had one less window.  If you could turn back time...

Did I ever tell you how I abhor plumbing?  That was the start of it all.  I'll paint, shovel snow, wash cars, climb telephone poles, rig, jump outta airplanes, do PLF's off a chicken coop roof and just about anything else on the planet EXCEPT plumb!

Couple weeks ago the ice maker stopped making ice.  Oldest daughter was all over it and replaced the water line on the back of the fridge.  Perfect! 

Today I got a card from the Duckburg water dept hangin on my front door telling me to check for leaks.  Yup, I'm on it and made the call only to find out I had a 300$ water bill this month.  Normally it's 60$.

Checked the crawl space out and yup.the ice maker line had broken down in the basement too.  Oldest daughter was here in a flash and made quick work of it. 

On the upside when I checked in at the Water Dept they said I'd signed up for some water leak insurance.  Must of had a weak moment but they said they'd pay the majority of it when I filed a claim.  Crazy day in Duckburg.  See why I hate plumbing?  I'll do anything BUT plumb! 

Sure glad that stripper pole in the crawl space is made outta brass!  She asked and I told her.  She was laffin and gonna tell her sister!  I told her to go price a 12' lond 3-inch brass stripper pole with all the hardware.  😂😂😂

Called the youngest in Phoenix to wish her a Happy Birthday and yup she was out having dinner w/friends and asked me about my stripper pole after I sang happy birthday to her.  Her dinner gaggle was loving me on speaker phone.  Lotsa great comments in the background.  lol  

Carry on! 

• Haha 4

So, I'm kinda stuck in my boom box coffee phase and need an upgrade. I'm a two-cup morning person, not too loyal to brands, and my idea of expensive coffee is anything over 10 bucks a pound. Don't grind my own beans, rocking a Keurig, and occasionally a Mr. Coffee.

• Like 1

Mornin' All

No complaints about our weather ... this week.Low 70's. That's tolerable. A bit cool, but ... no snow

Been working in the garden. Yeah, it's that time already. I have green out there, in spite of a few 17` AMs.

Feeling a little older. Aside from tripping over a b'day [lucky 69], a younger friend passed -- going on 2 weeks ago. Pancreatic cancer. That one bothered me ... which is why I've been kinda quiet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry about that @grasshopper 

Do you have your greens planted and covered with newspaper at night? When and if I can get my stuff I'll see what I can get growing here! 

My neighbor was up here the other day and she told me there were particularly nice herbs growing in the big pots left here at the house.

Told her I'd leave them where the sun hits the most and see if any seedlings come up this spring that would be real nice:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Do you have your greens planted and covered with newspaper at night?

Nah. 

I don't actively garden at this time of year. If I am, it is in starter pots, indoors at night. Most things can't take the cold. I'm doing soil prep. I can start direct seeding next month.

I'm cooking today. Bread needs to be made.Doing some pasta. Abbreviated spaghetti.... sorta. Home-made hamburger helper. The pasta is elbows and I add cheddar cheese to the "sauce".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

she told me there were particularly nice herbs growing in the big pots left here at the house.

Oh????? What kind of "particularly nice herbs" might they be LOL. 

those don't require shelter here. The seedlings can handle cold pretty well

• Haha 2

I really didn't think so but with the fluctuations in temperature y'all have I just didn't know. Where I'm from I cannot plant lettuce or turnip greens until about April when we're only in the 40s at night time.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MassiveG said:

So, I'm kinda stuck in my boom box coffee phase and need an upgrade.

Gotta watch this place.  Be warned in advance.    😂

13 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Feeling a little older. Aside from tripping over a b'day [lucky 69], a younger friend passed -- going on 2 weeks ago. Pancreatic cancer. That one bothered me ... which is why I've been kinda quiet.

Happy Birthday!  Friends start passing it can truly mess ya up for a while.  Soooo many good friends are gone.  I just smile when I hear the news and thing of all the good times we used to have.  Then every once in a while something hits ya outta no where and y laff some more.  Just crazy for me anyway.  My tombstone is already taken care of.  All they have to do is add the date and this:  "Whatever they say don't believe it.  It's all a lie!"  with a smiley face added.  :)

11 hours ago, JohnJ said:

My neighbor was up here the other day and she told me there were particularly nice herbs growing in the big pots left here at the house.

Those "herbs" will prolly be 8' tall small trees by fall.  Make sure ya cover them w/cheese cloth in the hot sun.  Keep an eye on your neighbor w/her Fiskars pruning too!  😂

• Haha 2

On 1/18/2024 at 7:02 AM, MassiveG said:

So, I'm kinda stuck in my boom box coffee phase and need an upgrade. I'm a two-cup morning person, not too loyal to brands, and my idea of expensive coffee is anything over 10 bucks a pound. Don't grind my own beans, rocking a Keurig, and occasionally a Mr. Coffee.

Where have I read this before?  Maybe on page 1 first post?

• Haha 3

I boiled some hamburgers last night and woke up this morning to some more snow coming down as the temp continued to drop all day.

A friend of mine up in VA grows some of those big herb plants.

I told him he must be doing something wrong as I still haven’t seen any tomatoes on the bushes he has staked up out back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Shouldn't be any fruit on mine if they come up either, maybe some red buds though!

Our snow didn't come today but there have been snowflakes flying around all day long.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Finally in the 20’s here. I’m ready for spring. 

Anyone live close to Nashville? There is a concert I want to go to on Tuesday. Wondering how the roads are. 

Screenshot_20240120_171557_AccuWeather.jpg

• Like 1