Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I see that 1700 has 325 wpc...what pre are you using?  Is his stuff restored or just "tested & working"?  I like the $179 price tag.

Surplus, tested and working, im sure if you got something that quit, they would work with you. iv had nothing butr great luck with these guys.

They seem to buy recording studios and theater stuff. my Pre is a import Xiang Sheng 728A from the Bay, and works so well, i bought one for the wife.

That's an interesting unit...tube pre and affordable with one out there for $150.  You have commented that you have experimented with a lot of gear and are finally happy (I think).  What is the benefit of the tube pre with the ss amps?  Oh BTW, there would be cables involved with separates and I had my coffee late morning, so I hope this is acceptable communication for this thread.  :unsure: 

• Like 3

Happy Wednesday, all. Taking some positive steps today to get me closer to full (instead of "semi") retirement. Will fill in later. Probably out of pocket most of the day and will try to check in later.

Adjusting the Active bi-amped EAW stacks, if i pizz off a neighbor with this one, then the neighbor has NO class.

Onward to 32Wpc and .....

• Like 2

• Moderators
What is the benefit of the tube pre with the ss amps?

To me the pre amp can flavor the sound more than the amps do at times. Part of the reason different brands of HT receivers sound so different, among other things. 

Of course this is just a generalization, we all know each part does something to the sound.

• Like 3

What is the benefit of the tube pre with the ss amps?

To me the pre amp can flavor the sound more than the amps do at times. Part of the reason different brands of HT receivers sound so different, among other things. 

Of course this is just a generalization, we all know each part does something to the sound.

If you have an Amp, you need a preamp, correct?

You just cannot run anything direct input to your amp, mine, as well with most have a volume knob, comes in handy.

In my case going Active Bi-Amped Stacks from hell, i never touch my volume knob, 15 knobs on the Active Crossover keep me pretty busy. i use my windows 7 task bar volume input for all feeds.

My lil mouse rules the neighborhood :)  :ph34r:  :emotion-21:

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I use a DAC with a volume knob works great............but a DAC with a volume knob is really like a pre without some of the pre features. :unsure:

Works great with my mini stacks, like starter stacks, not the 8' tall monsters like in your cave.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 3

I use a DAC with a volume knob works great............but a DAC with a volume knob is really like a pre without some of the pre features. :unsure:

My DAC is by the same guys (Imported) and tube, yes it does have a volume knob, it it stays at 3/4 at all times, feed the pre is what it does next, then to the Carvin Active crossover, then to the Amp(s), then to the Stacks, then to my front door with :ph34r: the cops...... 

Edited by minermark
  • Like 2

• Moderators
minermark, on 04 Dec 2014 - 7:21 PM, said: , then to my front door with the cops......

Not sure about the rest but that is for sure.

I use the streaming Br player into the DAC, out to a EV DX 38 (2 in 4 out) active crossover then on to 2 Crown D75's. With one amp for bass bins and one for 402's.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 3

minermark, on 04 Dec 2014 - 7:21 PM, said: , then to my front door with the cops......

Not sure about the rest but that is for sure.

I use the streaming Br player into the DAC, out to a EV DX 38 (2 in 4 out) active crossover then on to 2 Crown D75's. With one amp for bass bins and one for 402's.

Well dam man , your running with the same set up. and im sure, you just cannot run the volume knob too high. you know the power you have in reserve. :ph34r:

• Like 3

• Moderators

Your right the little Crowns are only like 40wpc but I have to be careful with it. I use the DX controls to be able to use the DAC at a pretty good output and the amps volume knobs only at about 75%. This way it's easy to control without anything close to it's limits, the DAC has a remote which is handy.

The speakers are right at 108db efficiency so it doesn't take much at all, you know how that is.

• Like 3

I Should have experimented with Bi-Amping 30 years ago, after this last year of going that route, i will NEVER go back.

At the same time running with active crossover, holy cow, i still have a hundred setting(s) to play with, but i really need to move to the desert first.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Yes the adjustments that can be made are ridicules, but I can't lie, I leave it set with the exact settings that were decided on by Roy Delgado after they were ran in the anechoic chamber. I'm not really a tinkerer with this stuff, I just want the music. :D A little embarrassing considering everything, I wouldn't know where to start with a setup like yours.    :mellow:

Looks like this

post-9700-0-93720000-1417746997_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

According to our local newspaper, gas will be below $2 a gal by summers end.

I’m still paying $3.05 here in SoCal--more if i go to one of the big guys (Chevron, Mobil, Shell, etc…)

i should point out that is for Premium as that as what BMW claims i should use (although i don’t know if that is true. grease monkey at work told me that legally cars must run perfectly fine on the lowest octane).  But, since i’m closer to a brain surgeon than a mechanic--i buy the expensive stuff.

• Like 1

According to our local newspaper, gas will be below $2 a gal by summers end.

I’m still paying $3.05 here in SoCal--more if i go to one of the big guys (Chevron, Mobil, Shell, etc…)

i should point out that is for Premium as that as what BMW claims i should use (although i don’t know if that is true. grease monkey at work told me that legally cars must run perfectly fine on the lowest octane).  But, since i’m closer to a brain surgeon than a mechanic--i buy the expensive stuff.

Yeah, well my problem was/is, i was on day number three of adjusting the active crossover, when i had my visit from The Wacco Nam Vet, so i never got to dial in my current system at any kind of wattage, im thinkin New Years Day, fk them, im crankin it.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 5

Yeah, well my problem was/is, i was on day number three when i had my visit from The Wacco Nam Vet, so i never got to dial in my current system at any kind of wattage, im thinkin New Years Day, fk them, im crankin it.

If they complain give them that old Raider George Atkinson quote from opening day 1976 i believe, when he punched Russ Francis in the face through the face mask, on the first play of the game and when they were no where near the play. Broke Francis’ nose. Kenny Stabler asked George why he did it. George said ...

“He’s 6’6’ 240 lbs, I’m 5’8” 185 lbs, i just had to let him know that’s how it’s gonna be today." 

• Like 3

grease monkey at work told me that legally cars must run perfectly fine on the lowest octane

Though this could be true, it seems I get better gas mileage then when I run premium.  Think about it it only cost $5-$6 more to fill up a 16 gallon tank with premium.  If I could get 14-28 miles more out of premium that makes up the difference and I feel better about running higher octane that is recommended for my Jeep.  Even if I don't get the extra mileage, I still feel better about it.  

• Like 3

grease monkey at work told me that legally cars must run perfectly fine on the lowest octane

Though this could be true, it seems I get better gas mileage then when I run premium.  Think about it it only cost $5-$6 more to fill up a 16 gallon tank with premium.  If I could get 14-28 miles more out of premium that makes up the difference and I feel better about running higher octane that is recommended for my Jeep.  Even if I don't get the extra mileage, I still feel better about it.  

I don't think I would get 14-28 miles more, I don't know where I came up with that but it sure sounds good. 

• Like 5