Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I would never drive in NYC.  Talk about stupid.

There's something solid forming in the air, The wall of death is lowered in Times Square. No-one seems to care, They carry on as if nothing was there. The wind is blowing harder now, Blowing dust into my eyes. The dust settles on my skin, Making a crust I cannot move in And I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I would never drive in NYC.  Talk about stupid.

One of my first trips to the Jersey/NYC area found me turned around heading to Newark. Called the customer to explain I’m off course and would be late, he asked what hiway/road sign I was near and said the Lincoln Tunnel exit was approaching. He told me to do whatever was necessary to get back on xxx hiway and if I couldn’t and ended up in Manhattan he wouldn’t see me at all that day. I actually backed up on an off ramp going the wrong way to get back to the correct road. Yep, finally made it - 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richieb said:

One of my first trips to the Jersey/NYC area found me turned around hole heading to Newark. Called the customer to explain I’m off course and would be late, he asked what hiway/road sign I was near and said the Lincoln Tunnel exit was approaching. He told me to do whatever was necessary to get back on xxx hiway and if I couldn’t and ended up in Manhattan he wouldn’t see me at all that day. I actually backed up on an off ramp going the wrong way to get back to the correct road. Yep, finally made it - 

Driving in the NYC isn't that bad...

it finding parking is the problem

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

I've been thru Atlanta and Houston..... Atlanta was scary. People driving 80, bumper to bumper... in the rain. The time I went by NewOrleans, it was near grid lock.... it was slow, but not scary.

Slow (#$*s, Remember the Lincoln Continentals of the early 70s with the huge vertical wheel cover over the rear bumper? On 485 in the 80s there I was in the backseat of one of those and a freakin" van rode over the trunk right behind me then left us in the dust! Must have been a 70s van also to keep on truckin' like that.

Inlaws near Boston had an extra car for going to the airport. they would not drive that pretty Impala SS or the other car through that tunnel. It was older and steel, perfect for that real life smash-up-derby.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

a freakin" van rode over the trunk right behind me then left us in the dust! Must have been a 70s van also to keep on truckin' like that.

lucky it was a Continental ,with real steel  --

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtel said:

I wonder how those drivers would do driving around Atlanta, New Orleans or the loop around Houston, it may make them nervous, it does for me.  

I remember driving the big ring road around Atlanta in early March, on my way to Daytona Speed Week (for the bike race, the 200, not the car race, which is the 500), half a dozen times.  One time, it was raining heavily, no big deal, but what amazed me was the number of cars that had spun out and slid away across the grass, finding themselves 50-100 yards away from the road.

It was good to see that none of them were upside down, and it was great to see that the highway was not surrounded by trees, so the amusing sight was not a grim sight.  Does that road get really greasy when it’s wet, or do the drivers forget how to drive in the rain every time there’s a sunny spell?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Islander said:

It was good to see that none of them were upside down, and it was great to see that the highway was not surrounded by trees, so the amusing sight was not a grim sight.  Does that road get really greasy when it’s wet, or do the drivers forget how to drive in the rain every time there’s a sunny spell?

"Can't fix Stupid":lol:

I slid my `73 SE Charger once after an hour or two of sleet so I guess I can't laugh at them too much.

When I lived beachside in Daytona the island would shake, my place would shake, the bed, my fridge, my feet would shake for two weeks with all those bikes running the whole time the first few years.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Islander said:

I remember driving the big ring road around Atlanta in early March, on my way to Daytona Speed Week (for the bike race, the 200, not the car race, which is the 500), half a dozen times.  

I hate driving around Atlanta.  I've been through there countless times at all times of the day and night.  Its always packed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I hate driving around Atlanta.  I've been through there countless times at all times of the day and night.  Its always packed.

And the bypass is just as bad now.

The problem with Houston is the speed everyone is going,  you better get in the turning lane you want way before or you will not get in. I remember when the circle that at one time went around the city was on the outside of the city, far from it now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dtel said:

And the bypass is just as bad now.

The problem with Houston is the speed everyone is going,  you better get in the turning lane you want way before or you will not get in. I remember when the circle that at one time went around the city was on the outside of the city, far from it now.

Yep. 610 circled the city proper at one time.  Now its beltway 8 which is way outside 610.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Islander said:

do the drivers forget how to drive in the rain every time there’s a sunny spell?

every time it rains here... the roads get real slick until the oil and crap wash off. You should see the fun when it snows. One reason I do not go out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

we're approaching normal temps. Getting warm. 95`F.... That 80` day was cold for the time of year.

I have to come up with an excuse to not go up on the roof. Wife brought 15gal of roof coating home yesterday. If I can't find an empty 5gal bucket, I'm good. I cannot get a full 5er up the ladder [it weighs 60lb or so... I weight a buck and a quarter.... soaking wet].... and I can see bad things happening if I try to haul it up on a rope.

Garden is coming along. Have some tomatoes coming. Need to do some thinning/culling. A lot of odds and ends popping up in the compost heap. Mostly squash and tomatoes or peppers. Can't tell. Just seedlings. No true leaves yet.

• Like 5

I've always kind of got adjusted to driving where I was after some experience. Traffic congestion the last few years here isn't half as bad as it was twenty years ago. It's the unreasonable/queer driving habits, stopping in the middle of a 45mph boulevard, or changing lanes without a warning signal. Or the the one sure to send you to hades... pulling out onto a quick moving road/hwy and dragging your a$%!

But, being from somewhere else after driving on the road for 18 hours straight except for gas and pit-stops it can be different. The DC beltway was one of those, 5pm on a hot Friday back in the late 90s just approaching NJ with NY, CT, RI then MA coming up was unsettling a couple times

• Like 2