Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I should post here once in a while, or at least until ya'll kick me out :)

Cables...Coffee....Cycles (?Lunar?) and Cocktails (Neat bird) wow what a line up that is.

I thunk it over today and since I was working on something related to the title here, figured I would share... poor souls

Working on things here (the system) and notice someone in this place was humming and just wouldn't shut up! I mean I like music n all but I do get tired of the monastic single note single tone hummmmmmmm, at least put some rhythm to it!

Yep, I was hearing that dreadful noise of some "CABLE" or loose connection hum in the system. Dreadful thing since I have been doing a LOT of rewiring and arranging of things. Couple days ago had an amp go Pop, well more like "BOOOMMM" of course right as I was turning a switch knob, causing all kinds of fear of "What did I just do??" Just a timing thing though as the amp power filter decided to short out at that very moment. Or.. the extra hum, a symptom? or coincidence? The hum was the worst of course on the phono setting so unplug the phono box should indicate if that is the root. Still some hum, but nowhere near as bad. Decided it was time to replace my lost shorting plugs and get into it. Shorted the inputs and absolute silence, so the amp repair was fine. Back to the issue then, and started going backwards along the lines feeding the amp, one section at a time with the shorting plugs. This was a good thing to do as it sounds out the cables for any degradation from use over the years. With each step replacing cables one at a time and one switch box, the hum was beginning to become bearable maybe, until I checked and tightened the grounding wing nuts at the turntables, and blown off my feet from the very loud (Full volume) radio station, at least it was playing ZZ Tops but a boot load of hum in it as well. I tell ya when I find this guy that's humming, gonna hang'im upside down by his GO &%^$ ....

Removed the ground from the wing nut to find almost silence, yeah a bit of hum but at full volume it being almost inaudible, I am happy with that, as it almost definitely and pretty sure is a hum of induction of lengthy cables... until I went to get a "Coffee" Remember the title?, and as I poured the coffee, the BLAST of at least 120 decibel hum, coffee everywhere now, running (2 canes) to the volume control I forgot to turn down. The Heresies faired ok fine through it (Whew) and the tremors ceased a few hours later. Waited for the cops to show up but I guess they were not interested.

Tomorrow is another day, and I will tackle this fella insisting on humming monotone at me, and I shall ship the remains to @Abomb to feed his awfully cute pet he acquired while on vacation. Yes that's right... fresh meat!

• Haha 5

@Tim Sr.  I see you sneakin in here now.  😂  Welcome to the "other" side of this place.  It's @Tarheel's brain child and we all try to emulate him.  He never breaks or loses his composure.  A born leader!  Something blows, pour another cuppa, put your feet up, go on line and use that gold card.  :)

Rainbow Robin Hood GIF - Rainbow Robin Hood Roban Had GIFs

Pied Piper Hamelin GIF - Pied Piper Hamelin Hameln GIFs

Kenxaviouspope R Kelly Cigar GIF - Kenxaviouspope R Kelly Cigar R Kelly GIFs

85 today and I'm thinking about trimming bushes?  Ummm, no!  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Don't be a stranger!

Uh oh... It is way too late for that, I have it on the authority of several hundred of opinions...(chuckling while wringing hands together)  thanks for the Welcome :)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

WOW!

Missed a lot in here the last few days...

They weren't the best I've had...

Got several bottles collecting dust that I'd like a nip or two in the evening (nip = 1 shot here) but I can not now so that sweet Bookers with the long name looks tasty half empty up there. Full Proof Wellers too!

Stagg Jr #16 rounds out that triumvirate. 

Warm milk just does not do the same when I need to relax & crash for the day.

@Abomb played with one about about foot log in front of my place once years ago. He was so cool!

It was about 30 seconds before I wondered where his sixteen foot mama was !

PXL-20240521-230926719.jpg

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Useless Fact Of The Day: In Australia, high temperatures can cause flower nectar to ferment and turn into alcohol, which can make bees "drunk".
When bees drink the fermented nectar, they may become wobbly, have trouble flying, or stumble around. "Bouncer" bees at the hive may block the entry of drunk bees until they sober up.

Ok, time to call in the member from the land down under for clarification.  @Full Range, so what's the skinny on this?  You're the man with the beehive.  Buzz Buzzed GIF - Buzz Buzzed Drinking GIFs 

Good Morning Waking Up GIF - Good Morning Waking Up Get Ready GIFs

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Yellowjackets are evil when you step on `em!

Wear heavier boots and kill those evil little bastards. Sorry...bee allergy. Nothing life threatening, but I swell up like a balloon. I stepped on one as a kid and the arch of my foot looked the rocker on a rocking chair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I stepped in a patch of evergreen ground cover about twenty 

*here's my old age creeping in... it was thirty years ago in my `89 Silverado... 

years ago next to a driveway. Was wearing boots like I have forever & not tight jeans.

Needless to say the neighborhood got a free shot.

I was young and just had jeans, socks and boots below my belly-button. They stung me a dozen times before I had shucked the boots and jeans!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, Dave1291 said:
Useless Fact Of The Day: In Australia, high temperatures can cause flower nectar to ferment and turn into alcohol, which can make bees "drunk".
When bees drink the fermented nectar, they may become wobbly, have trouble flying, or stumble around. "Bouncer" bees at the hive may block the entry of drunk bees until they sober up.

Ok, time to call in the member from the land down under for clarification.  @Full Range, so what's the skinny on this?

That is actually a fact — they get paralytic or smashed or what ever the term is in one’s home country 

PS I actually keep stingless native bees in my yard - 3 hives 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I had a nest in the yard at the last house. I sat on the porch in early evening and saw where they were going underground. I poured 4 to 6 ounces of gas down the hole. Didn't light it... just let the fumes do all the work. Hmmm, probably not legal, but it was quick and effective.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I had a nest in the yard at the last house. I sat on the porch in early evening and saw where they were going underground. I poured 4 to 6 ounces of gas down the hole. Didn't light it... just let the fumes do all the work. Hmmm, probably not legal, but it was quick and effective.

Lighting it could give one a big surprise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Many years ago I thought I would chop up a stump to get rid of it and get some exercise to boot.  On the second chop I felt a sting and by the second sting realized what was going on.  I ran to the back porch with the ax still in my hand.  The door was locked and my late wife with her hands to her face panicked and just stood there.  Seven stings and after a call to my neighbor, a doctor, took a couple of antihistamines and all was good.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Many years ago I thought I would chop up a stump to get rid of it and get some exercise to boot.  On the second chop I felt a sting and by the second sting realized what was going on.  I ran to the back porch with the ax still in my hand.  The door was locked and my late wife with her hands to her face panicked and just stood there.  Seven stings and after a call to my neighbor, a doctor, took a couple of antihistamines and all was good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Lighting it could give one a big surprise!

160404-A-BE343-006A.JPGC4 Explosives

U.S. Army Sgt. Eric Wallace places C4 explosives onto a stack of unexploded ordnances during a joint mine clearing operation at Orahovac Demolition Range in Kosovo, April 4, 2016. Wallace is an explosive ordnance disposal technician assigned to the Multinational Battle Group-East. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Thomas Duval

💪💪💪   :)

• Like 3

Callin for rain here today but blah.  Mid 80's kinda sunny and runnin on empty.   Blah.  lol.

This spring I ordered some outta the box bulb's to plant in some patio pots that are kinda outta the box.   New place started up a couple years ago run by a young couple called Groovy Plants Ranch.  Kind of the "In" place for a lot of people I guess so have to venture 40 miles down for a pick up and look see. 

Saved a strip along the back side of the house for an insane lil flower garden.  Gonna theme the area in a misical motif since I'm always serenading the hood.  Goin totally outta the box w/it yet keeping it simple cause I'm not crawlin around plantin & weedin.  lol  Do bananna trees really grow bannannannanna's?  Asking for a friend.  :)

Gotta get outta this house!  It's only money right?   😂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Do bananna trees really grow bannannannanna's?

Not sure you will have a long enough season, but some of the varieties you can get will produce fruit. It also may take a couple years or so, too. Lady down the street put some in and they died off every winter here in north Georgia. Next year they were up to roof height.

• Like 3