Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

working on the tan

OK I just have to ask, did you catch the neighbor looking your way ? :D

Lady friend had huge bags of limes left over from the derby party

This lady friend sounds better and better every day.

Not that neighbor since I was on the patio at the rear of the house. Last winter my other neighbor (in her 60s) knocked on the door one morning while I was making coffee.....in the nude. French doors....like in all glass :emotion-41:

Its hard being me :wacko2:

Okay enough about me....what do you guys have planned for the day?

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

At least you weren't frying bacon.

Did you at least invite her in for coffee? :unsure:

• Like 2

Morning folks, I woke up to my house a little cooler then what I had the ac set to. Turns out if is fairly cooler at side, which I don't think has been good for my magnolia plant. I havent seen this thing bloom in 2 years. I was hoping this year, but now it even is taking a while to get some green leaves, turns out the morning sun can trick it to bloom, but then colder weather damages the blooms. I am sure it will turn out, just need to be patient.

• Like 2

Morning folks, I woke up to my house a little cooler then what I had the ac set to. Turns out if is fairly cooler at side, which I don't think has been good for my magnolia plant. I havent seen this thing bloom in 2 years. I was hoping this year, but now it even is taking a while to get some green leaves, turns out the morning sun can trick it to bloom, but then colder weather damages the blooms. I am sure it will turn out, just need to be patient.

Did not know you had native(?) magnolia plant/trees in Nebraska of all places. Amazing!

We have a tree here and she says it has to be around 15 foot or so to start blooming.

Must be a hybrid plant?

Sorry for the 3rd degree.

• Like 3

That is what I will call the neighbor.....Coffee Pot Patina :) I almost dropped the carafe when I heard her knock some ten feet away.

And why would she not make eye contact anyway?

Its Friday....which is a lot like Thursday or Tuesday here in retirement land. No big plans. Do need to make a coffee run today. Lady friend commented that there was never anything in my refrigerator but peanuts, pickles, and beer :mellow:

Cheers :emotion-44: Gents

• Like 3

Did not know you had native(?) magnolia plant/trees in Nebraska of all places. Amazing!

We have a tree here and she says it has to be around 15 foot or so to start blooming.

Must be a hybrid plant?

I don't know if it's native to Nebraska or not. I have seen quite a few around, and they sell many at the nurseries. I all so read it takes them 10-15 years to start flowering, maybe that's how long it all so takes them to grow 10-15 feet. I know the first year we planted it, it bloomed flowers the following year.

We will have to wait and see.

• Like 3

Second time waking up today. I really should get the second Khorn gutted and rewired, did one last week, and figured what the h-ll is the hurry no crossovers yet, however the Crites are do in today, sooo, I better fire up a pot of Decalf, crank some tunes and get down to it.

Ya know it's one thing to look at that Green Monster wire it's another thing to cut it out, it is also slimy, EeeeK!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Must be a hybrid plant?

I don't know if it's native to Nebraska or not. I have seen quite a few around, and they sell many at the nurseries. I all so read it takes them 10-15 years to start flowering, maybe that's how long it all so takes them to grow 10-15 feet. I know the first year we planted it, it bloomed flowers the following year.

If it's the Magnolia tree your talking about it's the state tree here, and they can get very big, we have two we planted in the yard about 20' tall and they make flowers, but there not the fastest growers. We usually bring in a few flowers and put them in water but it's rare to be able to reach them.

Check and see if you can grow a Sweet Olive where you live, they can grow into a tree but most people keep them trimmed into a large bush. They bloom tiny little flowers, the plant and flowers are nothing great to look at but the smell is unbelievable. They smell somewhat like a Gardenia but better and it will make your whole yard smell great, also they bloom a few times a year. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

• Moderators
Ya know it's one thing to look at that Green Monster wire it's another thing to cut it out, it is also slimy, EeeeK!

Didn't know it got slimy also, that's not good.

Must be a hybrid plant?

If it's the Magnolia tree your talking about it's the state tree here, and they can get very big, we have two we planted in the yard about 20' tall and they make flowers, but there not the fastest growers. We usually bring in a few flowers and put them in water but it's rare to be able to reach them.

Check and see if you can grow a Sweet Olive where you live, they can grow into a tree but most people keep them trimmed into a large bush. They bloom tiny little flowers, the plant and flowers are nothing great to look at but the smell is unbelievable. They smell somewhat like a Gardenia but better and it will make your whole yard smell great, also they bloom a few times a year. :emotion-21:

Those trees may need a boost of some kind in the northern environs to get them growing good. Guessing taking precautions somehow against the weather if even in a greenhouse. One brother would bring a bloom to my mom who would put it in water, for a nice magnolia aroma for a coupla days. We have a big one here, trying to bloom.

Think the Tea Olive plant is the same as it has a very nice perfumey aroma, by our deck. Had to do some pruning to be able to paint deck recently. Friend said to GF that she should cut it down so as to not be in the way. of the deck steps. No way that is going to happen.

• Moderators
Think the Tea Olive plant is the same as it has a very nice perfumey aroma, by our deck. Had to do some pruning to be able to paint deck recently. Friend said to GF that she should cut it down so as to not be in the way. of the deck steps. No way that is going to happen.

Had to look it up, it's the same plant, I didn't know it by that name. You rarely ever see it but I know where there is one with a single trunk about 100' tall.

We were working in someone's yard and could smell it but couldn't find it. We never thought to look, up but was very surprised when we had found it, I had no idea it could get that big.

We have one in the normal bush shape right in front the house about 15' tall and the smell can get very strong.

• Like 1

• Moderators
ours is around 12 foot, and well worth it.

There not anything special to look at but like you said there well worth it. There kind of strange you never know when it's going to bloom and the flowers are small, you usually smell it before you see the flowers. It's a little different than the gardenias the tea olive smell really sticks around the area more, you definitely don't have to walk up to it to smell it like most flowers.

• Like 2

I was told the magnolia was a bush as well, and needed to be trimmed into a tree. I will take a look at the olive tree, as I need something to cover the smell of the dogs bi products. That way the wife doesn't have a reason not to go out there and clean it up.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 2