DAC unit, starting to look into one, any ideas?

minermark

Guest David H

I use Emotiva DACs; one XDA-1 and one XDA-2. The -1 supposedly had volume pot issues if you didn't have it turned all the way up (the way I used it) but I never had an issue. I use one with my Logitech Squeezebox for patio speakers and one on my PC. You can get the -2 new for half your budget.

or go with the Stealth DC-1 @ $499.

My experience with Emo is pretty good. Only issue was trying to use their 500 watt per channel mono block with Belles and had a floor noise issue due to high gain. The XPA-5 amp currently in use (last 3-4 years) for surround has been flawless. When I witnessed the brown truck driver dropping the XPA-1 amp out of the truck they immediately sent me a new one even though it appeared undamaged except for the shipping box.

I would probably never buy their surround processor but the amps and DACs have been really nice.

I have also used the Emotiva DAC's with good success.

IMO great bang for the $

I replaced the Emotiva with an Oppo 105 which can also be used as a sand alone.

I have spent a good amount of listening time with Johnny 5's Havana tube DAC, definitely a quality piece. BTW his second system uses an Emotiva.

Though I am a huge fan of tubes, I have not had great success with the tube DAC's I have tried, my least favorite being the Jolida Glass FX. :wacko:

Dave

While I don't doubt the units being discussed are better than the tiny Dragonfly, I'd like to point out that the D/F, which appears to be about the size of a thumb drive, can easily be transported with a laptop without needing a separate chassis and power source.

wondering if maybe I need a DAC as well? When listening to Pandora or Radio stations on-line, I simply run a patch from headphone jack on computer to RCA input on the pre-amp.

Very likely improvement. You're now hearing via the computer's internal DAC, and even a Mac's DAC isn't as good as, for example, a Dragonfly (the only one I've heard).

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

wondering if maybe I need a DAC as well? When listening to Pandora or Radio stations on-line, I simply run a patch from headphone jack on computer to RCA input on the pre-amp.

Very likely improvement. You're now hearing via the computer's internal DAC, and even a Mac's DAC isn't as good as, for example, a Dragonfly (the only one I've heard).

This is exactly how im feeding my preamp, and the the wifes system also, with volume all the way down you can hear the movement of the mouse on the pc.

Iv been studying up on all these units and then polking around on craigs , and man-o-man there are a lot for sale.

• Like 2

Been very happy with my Maverick Audio D2, but I if I were in the market now I would be looking hard at a DAC using the ESS Sabre chip. That is what Oppo is using in their new units, and Pioneer is now spec-ing in their upper end units as well (I believe it is in the Dragonfly?).

I would be looking hard at a DAC using the ESS Sabre chip. That is what Oppo is using in their new units (I believe it is in the Dragonfly?)

Yup, the Dragonfly also uses the Sabre ESS chip. It seems to be a premiere chip these days.

Edited by LarryC

audioengine usb dac=169 (made with top of the line conponets)

backup battery for USB charger=20

this will allow you to run the dac off a battery....thus eliminating all the power supply introduced quirks

audioengine usb dac=169 (made with top of the line conponets)

backup battery for USB charger=20

this will allow you to run the dac off a battery....thus eliminating all the power supply introduced quirks

Hummm, interesting, im on Ebay right now, will look into this also. really do wish to use the USB out of my PC, so I like this.

I use Emotiva DACs; one XDA-1 and one XDA-2. The -1 supposedly had volume pot issues if you didn't have it turned all the way up (the way I used it) but I never had an issue. I use one with my Logitech Squeezebox for patio speakers and one on my PC. You can get the -2 new for half your budget.

or go with the Stealth DC-1 @ $499.

My experience with Emo is pretty good. Only issue was trying to use their 500 watt per channel mono block with Belles and had a floor noise issue due to high gain. The XPA-5 amp currently in use (last 3-4 years) for surround has been flawless. When I witnessed the brown truck driver dropping the XPA-1 amp out of the truck they immediately sent me a new one even though it appeared undamaged except for the shipping box.

I would probably never buy their surround processor but the amps and DACs have been really nice.

I have also used the Emotiva DAC's with good success.

IMO great bang for the $

I replaced the Emotiva with an Oppo 105 which can also be used as a sand alone.

I have spent a good amount of listening time with Johnny 5's Havana tube DAC, definitely a quality piece. BTW his second system uses an Emotiva.

Though I am a huge fan of tubes, I have not had great success with the tube DAC's I have tried, my least favorite being the Jolida Glass FX. :wacko:

Dave

I will be buying an OPPO very soon. Is is worth it to get the 105 over the 103?

Not trying to hijack the thread, this is a DAC question. I think the 105 also functions as a DAC and it seems like if it does, it may be worth the extra $$ instead of buying a separate DAC.

I too second the emotiva XDA-1 and XDA-2. Having owned both... I perfer the XDA-1... Both do not require use of external drivers, but the XDA-1 was a bit simplier... (Both plug and play). That said... I use my XDA-2 daily. Both the XDA-1 and XDA-2 allow multiple inputs... CD player and Compuer... and have full func remotes.

For my 2nd rig, I just bought a Modi USB Digital/Analog Convertor by Schiit. (Schit has a good rep. Super simply... no extra power suplies and does Red Book 16/44.1. I used to own a HRT+ and loved it too... again for simplicity. The HRT is $70 more. The Modi is $110 to the door.

I use a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC. Works very well, came packed well

Audiokarma has a Gruop dedicated to Grant.

How could I forget the Grant Fidelity! I have one in the bedroom. It uses the same tube as the Havana and has a very similar sound. The Havana is a step beyond for sure but didn't have the flexibility of sources and features that I needed in that system where I have the Grant.

Glad you started this thread

A simple DAC unit

DO I NEED A "DAC" TOO???

A DAC will improve upon the sound direct from your computers headphone jack, I just went thru this as i listen to only lossless from my computer thru headphones. My issue is now that how much differrent can the different DAC chips sound. It looks to me like alot of what you pay for in a DAC is options IE... how many different types of connections are avail.

for someone looking to jusst play pandora and the like from there computer i would suggest a USB DAC they can be had relatively cheap and are a substantial improvement over sound cards. of course the bit rate of the source will also affect the quality of the sound from your system

If anyone here on the forum wants to try a USB DAC i have just upgraded mine and so i have a Schiit Modi DAC just setting here and would loan it out, This way you can get an idea of improvement without spending anything except shipping

Here are the particulars on the DAC i would loan

http://schiit.com/products/modi

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

Glad you started this thread

A simple DAC unit

DO I NEED A "DAC" TOO???

A DAC will improve upon the sound direct from your computers headphone jack, I just went thru this as i listen to only lossless from my computer thru headphones. My issue is now that how much differrent can the different DAC chips sound. It looks to me like alot of what you pay for in a DAC is options IE... how many different types of connections are avail.

for someone looking to jusst play pandora and the like from there computer i would suggest a USB DAC they can be had relatively cheap and are a substantial improvement over sound cards. of course the bit rate of the source will also affect the quality of the sound from your system

If anyone here on the forum wants to try a USB DAC i have just upgraded mine and so i have a Schiit Modi DAC just setting here and would loan it out, This way you can get an idea of improvement without spending anything except shipping

Here are the particulars on the DAC i would loan

http://schiit.com/products/modi

Great offer for someone Joe. My USB driven DAC will be pushing two preamps (mine and the wife's). iv seen these headphone thingy's everywhere and they seem to be very popular.

Headphones have there place in audio, they do thing a free air speaker cannot, However speakers do things headphones cannot IE...Soundstage.., If you are like me now with no space and no money for a full stereo setup, and poor hearing Headphones can fill the gap nicely

Carlooch, I will never let a poor experience with a lone nut change me or how i deal with people, This forum is the only place i would make that offer, I have learned tons here and have met nothing but good people, (even the one person i crossed swords with a few times, turned out we became cool with one another and i drove to vermont and bought his K-Horns)

• Like 1