Grilling Steaks

homeskizzle

For Christmas this past year, I got a Charbroil Infrared grill. As a male, I feel it's a right of passage to know how to use a grill...IMO. I've been using some olive oil and McCormick's Steak seasoning to marinate the steaks before grilling. NY Strip is my personal favorite. I've tried cuts from Publix and Fresh Market, with my nod going to Fresh Market. I always use A1 when eating steak.

Do you marinate your steaks? If you don't mind sharing the recipe, let me know.

Cut garlic cloves in half and wipe the steak all over. Then poke all over with a fork. A little black pepper with just a drop or two of olive oil. Salt each side generously after its first char.

However, your approach works just as well.

Soak 'em in worcestershire sauce for a while then grill for 6 mins per side (slightly longer or shorter depending on temp and thickness). Simple and delicious recipe that gives the meat a real buttery flavor.Favorite cut is good rib-eyes but works with NY too. If you really like NY, try to whip up a good peppercorn sauce to go with it, you'll never go back to table steak sauce.

• Like 2

I have the same grill! Not gonna lie. I rarely grill steaks. Ribeye is my favorite cut. I follow this recipe when I spend a descent about on moolah on meat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe.html

A good read also.

http://gearpatrol.com/2012/10/30/mob-ribeye-three-ways/

I am a firm believer in a good steak only needs salt and pepper and should never need sauce.

Now if we are talking flank steak or something? Bring on the marinade, seasonings, fajita fixings and a margarita or two!

We all agree at my house, we are eating the best steaks ever right now and here is how we are doing it.

1) Buy good quality meat. We prefer Black Angus Ribeyes.

2) Salt and pepper steaks and bring to room temperature.

3) Sear steaks 3 to 4 minutes each side flipping only once. A very hot grill is a must on this! Grate 2" off a hot bed of charcoal will work.

Enjoy!

Cooking the steaks this was actually kinda caramelizes the outside yet the inside can still be rare or medium. Try it.

• Like 1

marinate... it depends.

carne asada, yes... definetely marinate with citrus, onions, salt and cilantro and olive oil.

steaks... never. only salt and pepper.

my favorite cuts (for grilling) of equal qualities and desirability are the Tri Tip, the Brisket and the Rib Eye.

the Brisket
Ah the Brisket. Ever tried right on the coals? Got the idea from Alton Brown. Always wanted to try it.

no I have not... I always use indirect.

Low and slow I take it. As a man from Memphis who has cherished the art of indirect slow cooking I need to get the EQ to do it right.

I lived in Shelby county (germantown/cordova area) for a number of years
Wow... who knew? I lived in Mid town, a couple blocks from Southwestern at Memphis... and a couple other areas around Memphis.

Bruce

Turn grill to high. Pull steaks out of freezer and immediately put them on the grill. Make sure you press down firmly with a spatula as they cook/thaw. Flip when cooked through 2/3rds, finish cooking until tough. Add hideous seasoning to taste, and then add some more. Serve immediately off the grill.

You can now cook a steak like 90% of the "BBQ" population.

Turn grill to high. Pull steaks out of freezer and immediately put them on the grill. Make sure you press down firmly with a spatula as they cook/thaw. Flip when cooked through 2/3rds, finish cooking until tough. Add hideous seasoning to taste, and then add some more. Serve immediately off the grill.

You can now cook a steak like 90% of the "BBQ" population.

That's ok. Some people think Bose is Hifi.LOL

We all agree at my house, we are eating the best steaks ever right now and here is how we are doing it.

3) Sear steaks 3 to 4 minutes each side flipping only once. A very hot grill is a must on this! Grate 2" off a hot bed of charcoal will work.

Enjoy!

Cooking the steaks this was actually kinda caramelizes the outside yet the inside can still be rare or medium. Try it.

same as my recipe. searing is the key to a juicy steak! wether it be in a pan or on a grill

Edited by Scrappydue

Enjoy!

I would add a number 4.

4) Let the steaks rest before serving them.

During the cooking process do NOT pierce the steak. The whole reason for searing is to lock in the juices. If you cut the steak before you allow it to rest, all the juices will run out with the first knife cut.

See http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatrest.html

Edited by mustang guy

I usually use salt, pepper, and EVOO as some of the others do. Sometimes I get a craving for this, though. Its the seasoning they use at Charlie Palmer's.

Ingredients

1/2 C light brown sugar

1/2 C kosher salt

1 T cayenne pepper

2 T ground cumin

2 T granulated garlic

2 T granulated onion

1 T dry English mustard (like Coleman's)

1 T finely ground black pepper

Of course, mix together and pat into the meat. I've tried both regular dry mustard, and Colman's. Using Colman's is pretty much crucial. Its a little pricey (about $6-$7 for 4oz here) but well worth it. Plus, it lasts forever.

When I'm grilling steaks I'll occasionally also grill a slice of yellow onion that i've brushed with olive oil and s&p. Once the onion has gotten good grill marks and softened; I'll then brush it with bbq sauce (sweet baby rays) and grill for another minute or so on both sides.

Once the steaks are also done, i'll top them with the grilled bbq'd onion and sprinkle crumbled blue cheese on top.

Couple of tips:

You have to cut the onion slices pretty thick so they don't just completely fall apart when grilling. It also takes some practice to keep the onion from falling through the grill grates. The olive oil also can flare up so you'll have to babysit the grill.