Tubes: Amp or Preamp, choose one only...

Mallette

I have always preferred tube preamps, for their more natural, detailed, closer-to-the-actual-music sound. I lived very happily for many years with [edit] tube preamps combined with two Mark Levinson ML-2's, which were SS class A, 25-watt, 60-lb monsters.

I preferred the switch to various tube preamps after living with a number of SS pre's which were never satisfactory.

However, switching out the SS ML's for tube amps also had a pretty dramatic effect. I now have OTL's, which aren't perfect by any means, but I like the very transparent combo. So, I actually don't have a very definitive case for preferring either one. I do think, however, that I've heard SS produce a very solid, well-defined bass, and I wouldn't argue with someone preferring that.

I think it comes down to how the electronics synergize with the system. But, you have to watch out for gain-matching issues. Some otherwise fine tube amps have so much gain that some combos are very noisy.

It is often a mistake to blame the "amplifier" for the noise, when in fact, a very quiet amp is only magnifying the input pre-amp noise.

By the way, the only power cord preference I ever have had is an ESP "Essence" on tubed preamps. And I don't just say that because I have a few ESP cords left over (for sale cheap) from when I put them on many things before deciding they only made a difference on tube preamps. :rolleyes:

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

Interesting...

My choice would be a tube amp and no pre... or maybe with a passive pre.

Might be fun to play around with this idea a bit.

I also need to kick this around more since there are so many factors to consider, but I’m tending to agree with your thoughts for now.

Partly, because, while I have several solid state pre amps, I do not believe that I’ve ever had a higher-end solid state pre amp of similar quality to my tube pre amps where I could understand the different impact, if any, on my overall systems that I’ve used. Therefore, I cannot really conclude whether my tube pre amps driving any of my solid state amps are injecting the magic into the system or if the sound differences detected are due to the quality differences between the two pre amps.

I’m currently collecting parts, and have participated in a group buy for core parts, for a JFET pre amp that Nelson Pass presented at the Burning Amp Festival 2013 that uses the Linear Systems JFET devices. The circuit is described as ‘elegant’ by people knowledgeable of circuit design and from the initial builds on the forum, several have commented that it is “perfectly clear and detailed, strongly vivid, neutral and transparent but emotional and pleasant in presentation.”

Mine is a long way until I’m finished, but I may have to try a comparison to my tube pre amps, when complete. Link if anyone is interested in more information on the JFET pre amp.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/244106-lsk-pre-baf-2013-a.html

From an amplifier perspective, I’m thinking about the impedance issues that are inherent with many speakers. Essentially, I think most would agree that a speaker's impedance is not constant through its frequency response range. It seems that many speakers have a lot higher impedance at the woofer's resonance and tends to increase again in the higher frequency regions.

The engineers reading the thread may need to correct aspects that I may not describe correctly; however, I believe there is an engineering reason that tube amplifiers drive the reactive load of a speaker differently than a solid state amplifier.

I don’t know all of the technical aspects; however, I believe that a tube amplifier may follow the impedance changes of a speaker much better than a solid state amplifier. There again, I’m not sure how that works for tube amplifer and solid state amplifier of equivalent design quality since I’ve been listening to more of the Nelson Pass First Watt designs and they are sounding pretty good.

I prefer the Tube amp.

Dave

I wish they made tube sound cards with multi channels for active crossover driven systems using computers. They may but for now I am extremely happy with tube amps, especially on the high end of my two way system. I still like the SS I have for better bass IMO.

Don't recall this being discussed and I have my own opinion. However, seemed like a nice can of worms to open. Assume you can only have one tube device. Would you choose amp, or preamp, and why?

Dave

If you could only Have One Tube Device, I would pick a SET tube Amplifier. I can run it without a preamp at all. However if you were to choose a tube preamp, you could not listen to music at all without an amplifier.

I've seen plenty of system that run without a preamp, but none that run without an amplifier.

Love SET, and heard a couple of great ones on my system. Wonderful on jazz, chamber, etc. Pipe organ? No way. The owners of these noted that immediately without my help. SET isn't any good for anyone who listens to that last octave.

Dave