Long term use harmful?

Sb100

I have a tendency to put in some music at night, usually ambient or classical. Set the volume down around -35dB and I'll fall asleep and let the music play all night. I'm curious if this is harmful?

I have rf82 II's in the front, rc52 center and rb61 for surround, outlaw audio lfm1+ for sub, running off of a Yamaha rx-v871

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I put in ear plugs at night to sleep in perfect silence, I usually have ear buds attached to a radio bed side to listen at the lowest volume if I wake up early, like 4-6 am. I am turning into my grand parents. Your equipment will be fine.

Edited by jacksonbart

I have a tendency to put in some music at night, usually ambient or classical. Set the volume down around -35dB and I'll fall asleep and let the music play all night. I'm curious if this is harmful?

I have rf82 II's in the front, rc52 center and rb61 for surround, outlaw audio lfm1+ for sub, running off of a Yamaha rx-v871

Any thoughts?

You can wear out a CD/DVD/Blu-ray/SACD player. As to well ventilated electronics, we have an old Yamaha intergated amplifier we have used on the main TV (not our Home Theater) for 28 years. We had it and the TV on a few hours a day (we admit). Before we built our Home Theater, we also played movies through it a few times a week. Of course, the amplifier was made back when corporations cared about quality in budget products.

Everything will be fine.

Back in the old days of tubes they could have a finite lifetime. But many failures arose from the process of turning the equipment on and off and the resulting thermal cycling.

But with transistors, and chips, they are pretty happy to be run continuously for decades. If you run a power amp close to its limits there might be a different story. That is not the case here.

Regarding the speaker components, they'll be just fine when run at reasonable levels. You're well below that.

WMcD