What heavy do you turn to when it's time to ?

joessportster

• Moderators

"What heavy do you turn to when it's time to ?"

Don't care for metal, (or whatever it is called as it changed) although I liked a couple posted here.

Maby some Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, or some good blues, OK I'm old time.

And of course the old standards of rock.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Don't care for metal, (or whatever it is called as it changed) although I liked a couple posted here.

Maby some Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, or some good blues, OK I'm old time.

Metal has definitely changed . What we considered metal in the 80's and 90's would be considered no more than hard rock now . No longer do you have to be a vocalist in metal . These days it's all about these guttural pig noises or vomiting sounds . I like some of the hard rhythms and riffs but whatever it is that the vocalist are doing just turns me off . It seems they just don't even try anymore .

Then again I'm closing in on 50 so maybe I'm just old .

I'm a 70s child, so head banging is Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush.

I am a child of the 60's, but seems I can get into almost any music, I really like alot of the alternative rock stuff, and a small amount of the metal.............hell I even like Kid Rock, Limp Bizcuit, Korn etc...

Yep, Chili Peppers, NIN, Beck, Jimmy's Chicken Shack

Metal has definitely changed . What we considered metal in the 80's and 90's would be considered no more than hard rock now . No longer do you have to be a vocalist in metal . These days it's all about these guttural pig noises or vomiting sounds . I like some of the hard rhythms and riffs but whatever it is that the vocalist are doing just turns me off . It seems they just don't even try anymore .

50 isn't old!!!

• Moderators

I would say your right, They can play hard but it almost seems like the talent has somewhat been removed, scream, grunt and of course shake your head up and down as you jump around and you have a bunch of bands covered ? Still better than rap, I could like some rap if they didn't rap.

One thing you can say, these days promoters are really talented people.

But I am old and probably sound more like my dad did when I was younger.

• Like 2

VH1 use to have a top 100 metal bands. Every time it was Zepplin, and Sabbath. I still consider those bands heavy metal, though Zepplin is more of blues to me which ever. I feel if you say metal or heavy metal it can give a different understanding of the type of music.

Pantera is metal

Black Sabbath is heavy metal

Then it seemed in the early 2000's when hardcore was coming around (which to most its just another style of heavy metal), there was this no we are hardcore not metal. Then the fights would break out if you had a metal band and hardcore band at the same show. I like the "hardcore music" like Hatebreed, Throwdown, Walls of Jericho, etc etc.., but when they would play at a show with let say Slayer. The fans for some reason hated it, things would heat up and fights would break out. I never got it, I just enjoyed the different music.

VH1 use to have a top 100 metal bands. Every time it was Zepplin, and Sabbath. I still consider those bands heavy metal, though Zepplin is more of blues to me which ever. I feel if you say metal or heavy metal it can give a different understanding of the type of music.

Growing up in that time period, I would have thrown Deep Purple into the bucket with Zepplin and Sabbath. I believe that those three may have been among the first to amplify guitar distortion, have long guitar solos, really beat on the drums, and present music with an overall loudness while accumulating large followings of fans. After these three I used to listen to a lot of Judas Priest, Motorhead then Malmsteen.

I recently resurrected an old laser disc player and bought an old laser disc of a Malmsteen concert (starting to develop into a side hobby in casually looking for the old concerts on laser disc from a variety of the old bands that cannot be found on DVD). Here is a link to one of the Malmsteen classics, Rising Force and a couple from Motorhead.

Malmsteen - Rising Force

http://youtu.be/paHugvyOZZ4

Motorhead

Overkill

http://youtu.be/EDB0dUWZUK8

Iron Fist

http://youtu.be/JcS4fKwN3k0

Ace of Spades

http://youtu.be/eBIa0o36pPo

Not one of the Motorhead metal classics, but one that could make a Saturday night play list called "whorehouse blues."

http://youtu.be/uJ7Voy9YK1I

Edited by Fjd

Nightwish, Ayreon, Tool, Godsmack, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Lacuna Coil, Rammstein....

I'm not a big fan of the screamo or growling, but love the intense rhythms. And bands like Nightwish and Ayreon have loads of musical complexity that I think some classical heads might enjoy if they approach it with an open mind. Maybe when I'm on a computer I can post some links to YouTube.

Edited by DrWho
  • Like 1

I have an appreciation for most genre's, but can't do rap. Lat night, Ice Tea was on Jimmy Fallon with a band called Body Count...a repeat from last week. The band rocked and was almost tolerable rap, because of the band. Then again, it may not have been classified as rap. The band kind of reminded me of Living Colour. Vernon Reid is a great guitarist. My heavy side has mellowed over the years, but when the time comes, Creed, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Metalilca, Soundgarden, STP, but some of these may not be classified as Metal, more just hard rock. Possum Kingdom by Toadies is a song that will always get the volume knob up there for me. Heavy, I don't know, but damn good.

• Moderators
, I could like some rap if they didn't rap
Me too. On second thought....no,pretty sure I'd still hate it. :P

The key word should have been highlighted and larger SOME, really very little, don't really consider talking fast a talent innless your an auctioneer, and most of the lyrics are terrible, what you can make out at least.

Edited by dtel

Nightwish is generally considered prog. There is a great lyrical parody on youtube using Wishmaster. The original Nightwish female vocalist is an opera singer, not exactly what you might call heavy metal even using Plant as a standard.

Prog? Really? I'm not sure I'd use that category at all. I think they call themselves Symphonic Metal. Bands like Yes and Genesis would fit into Prog. I know Tarja was a classical singer and that kinda hurt the music, but their most recent singers have certainly not been classical at all...

This is more of what I had in mind:

or...

I'm really looking forward to their first album with Floor Jansen.