harley davidson owners

Scrappydue

I sold my Road King Classic last year. I liked the bike, but unfortunately the riding position hurt my back on long trips. I ended up buying a bike with a more upright riding position. The trade off is that the seat on the new bike is smaller, and basically tortures my posterior. I have ordered a new Corbin seat, which is supposed to be way more comfortable.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your bike.

• Like 1

Hi Scrap!

I used to race dirt bikes and rode all my buddy's bikes on the road till I bought my first road bike, a Yamaha V-Max.

Don't go with the thinking that that has prepared you for riding on the road every day or you will get complacent. There are cagers out there that are trying to kill you!

My mother got rear ended in her car while sitting at a stop light by a guy who was going 45 mph that never looked up while he was texting. This A-hole was in his 40s

Take as many riding courses as you can, you will learn things that you never thought about.

Be safe! Keep the rubber side down! and watch out for the cagers.

Rog

There are cagers out there that are trying to kill you! My mother got rear ended in her car while sitting at a stop light by a guy who was going 45 mph that never looked up while he was texting. This A-hole was in his 40s

That's why I sold my last Harley. I've been in 4 vehicles that have been totaled out. None of them were my fault. The last one I totaled was my daughters car. I was doing 60 (in a 60 zone) and going through a green light at an intersection. A lady sitting at the red light said her foot "slipped" off the brake and she came out into the intersection. Traffic turning left veered right to miss her which put them in my lane. There was no where to go and no time to stop. I barely got my foot on the brake pedal. I wouldn't have made it through any of the rest of the accidents I've been in if I were on any of my previous bikes. I've ridden street bikes for 40+ years but after my last wreck, I have no desire to get back on.

Carl,

Really sorry to read about your accidents but, I would not have let that been the decideing factor in my decision to ride or not. Riding my Low Rider is what I do with my wife she loves to ride, and yes other drivers scare me a little sometime. I am just more aware of where they are when riding and stay extra alert with my wife on board for that reason. I do understand you choice just the same!!!

post-18877-0-33160000-1406303795_thumb.j

post-18877-0-74260000-1406303811_thumb.j

Really sorry to read about your accidents but, I would not have let that been the decideing factor in my decision to ride or not.

If you don't enjoy something any more, it's hard to continue. I was a little apprehensive after the 3'rd one but the last wreck put me over the edge. 2 times I've been totaled out while sitting still or barely moving. 2 times I've totaled out by hitting someone who's pulled out in front of me and I had no where to go. I was hit broadside once by a lady in the rain who had no lights on. I didn't count that one as it wasn't a total but had about $15,000 worth of damage. When you tense up at intersections in an automobile, you have no business on a bike anymore. I know my limitations.

• Like 2

Cagers are definitely what to watch for. If you know defensive driving, and you look at every car or truck as a potential threat, you will be OK. It is a matter of concentrating when cars and trucks are around.

The other thing to watch for is loose gravel, leaves, and wet spots in turns. Always remember to look where you want to drive. Do not look down, look far out in front of you. If you have ever ridden dirt bikes, it's like when you are riding in bad ruts. Choose your path, and don't look down. You will feel the bike doing exactly what you want and going exactly where you looked.

• Like 1

Bike has been bought! Ill post a pic soon with info. For now you'll have to wait......

Grrrrrr..... :mad:

:tongue:

+++

I am helping a guy sell of some vintage speakers and receivers, and in the corner of his garage is your Sportster! It is a 1971 and it has the 2 gal tank, kickstart only! :blink: He also has a 'Glyde of some type he also needs to sell, as his riding days are long behind him.

I know the feeling, it's hard to get rid of that last bike, even if you don't ride any more.

post-58280-0-90660000-1406347100_thumb.j

The Road Glide has a frame mounted fairing. It's a more stable bike in windy weather...though while at the dealer last week I saw the new fairing design and they claim the new fairing designs with pass through venting is supposed to help make the fork mounted fairings more stable.

To me though...the traditional Harley engine design is a little past it's prime.

My next Harley will be a V-Rod. Liquid cooled Porsche designed motor with power that will makes the bike competitive with crotch rockets.

If I were to get a traditional HD I'd consider the Breakout...it's a cool looking softail framed bike.

Edited by Sprags

I have ordered a new Corbin seat, which is supposed to be way more comfortable.

I hope you have a better experience than me. I bought a Fatboy with a Corbin seat on it once, and it was the most uncomfortable seat I have ever ridden on.

Shakey

This is what may have happened to you. The warranty of the Corbin seat:

Warranty: Basepan, foam and hardware of Corbin saddle is warranted to the original
owner for life. Cover materials, heaters and workmanship warranted for one year.
Corbin saddles require a break in period of approximately 2000 miles. The seat feels
firm initially, but with use will break-in to conform to the individual. Product
will only be authorized to be shipped back, freight pre-paid, for refining of shape
or to replace / rectify defective parts. In cases where the rework requires a new
cover, a recover charge will be applied. Under no circumstances will cash or credit
refunds be offered. All goods being handled for customer service consideration
purposes must be accompanied by a Corbin invoice and a Return Material Autorization
Number (RMA).
In other words, it was fit for another person's a$$. :)
Edited by mustang guy