New Klipsch REFERENCE Speakers (link)

Sancho Panza

• Moderators
You can buy the rf82-ii for around 850.

I'm guessing through a dealer?  Looking online, they are showing around $550 each.  Either way, there isn't much difference (if any) between the two lines.  Wonder if the Reference II pricing will go up as a result?

The big Synergy speakers (F-3 and F-30) were priced pretty much just like the R-28F's are; I'm not sure about the Icons.  However, then the differences between the speaker lines were pretty clear.  What's now confusing to J6P is that he sees one Reference speaker (the R-28F) for $100 less than another Reference speaker (the RF-82II) and can't tell by looking what the differences are.

I could easily see the prices of the next-gen Ref II speakers going up, but if they do, I hope there's real change, not just a cosmetic update.  I remain skeptical though -- look what happened to the SB-1 relative to the R-20B.  Those soundbars are virtually identical but the R-20B costs 2x as much.

Oh well -- I'll be sticking with my RF-7II system for a long while so it'll be interesting to see this shake out from the sidelines.  :)

I dont know if this is fair to klipsch but part of my rant is the rest of the audio world. Klipsch gets bashed on forums for this very thing. Coming out with cheaper built speakers with lots of unrealistic claims. I have fought many many battles defending klipsch on this very topic. So I guess when I see them do it. It stings a bit.

• Like 1

You can buy the rf82-ii

I guess I tend to forget there are other Reference speakers then RF-7's, and RF-5's.  These where the speakers that first got me to notice Klipsch.  When they replaced them with from what I felt was a down grade, I guess I felt the same as you.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

You can buy the rf82-ii

I guess I tend to forget there are other Reference speakers then RF-7's, and RF-5's.  These where the speakers that first got me to notice Klipsch.  When they replaced them with from what I felt was a down grade, I guess I felt the same as you.

I always thought the last two lines were improvements from the first ones? I guess I dont know. Just seemed that way from reading peoples posts.

You can buy the rf82-ii

I can relate to this, I've always thought and do still think that the 3's, 5's, and 7's were better.

The most unsung hero of a speaker is the rf5. Why they don't bring it back to close the gap between the 82's and 7's is beyond me especially if they refine them as they have done with the first 2 incarnations.

It's important to keep in mind the difference between refinement, improvement and difference in sound reproduction. They all are similar and can be intertwined yet are separate and independent of one another.

The consensus I feel in general is we are all a little butthurt because klipsch removed the glamour we all had and still have if you are in the know...

• Like 1

would be interesting to see a factory 2 way lascala

Just curious on your thoughts of why the 2-way would be an upgrade to a 3-way design. 

or your blueprint of the 7iii ultra though

Ha, I'm not sure that design has any potential of being a great speaker combined like that.  It was fun compositing it in photoshop though. 

Now, that would be amazing, but me thinks not too likely.

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

Missed your post...

2 way lascala with 510 built in to top hat maybe factory split rather than on top mounted the way a couple or few people have done around here. That could actually end up being somewhat economical and would be the best 2 way speaker in production from any manufacturer imo...unless we go into the $12k range or use pro audio gear...Just a thought...Im sure it would get a ton of good attention, or attention regardless if good or bad and that's good in the long run normally...I have never heard this combo that im aware of but not being a 2 way person unless you go with good bookshelves basically and a descent powered sub id love to hear and consider buying.

At that point id love to see a 2 way cornscala type speaker redone with direct 15 and the 510. sort of like a 904 with a single 15 and maybe a passive like a chorus ii...Or even a dual 12 with the 510 sort of like the cf4...there are so many combos klipsch would really take leaps with putting pro gear together for home use that this forum and others would take attention to. And if they were to offer the pro style it would save cost for people who cannot or wont pay for fruitwood veneer(fruitwood is the most interesting if you can find it, and costly)or birch, oak etc...

Your photoshop 7iii is totally feasible. I hate saying it but I don't see the klipsch engineers of this day taking something like that on...and id say it would be more a pro rf7 and cost too much for any particular spot in the audio market but it would be sweet

A 3 way reference is a sure bet with great odds for klipsch imo and from many others from what I read...Not all the way palladium but 3 way klipsch reference is a homerun without doubt...

I gotta be real with what we see...

There is already a new reference soundbar and the rebadge icons is without doubt following voxx fashion. A great new speaker is below an option in the future with klipsch. We gotta be happy with what klipsch has already produced imo...and I hope im wrong....It is a tough world for audiophile production these days...but that's no reason to flop the already flops. Even if klipsch would make a new speaker for many audiophiles to buy may take a year or likely longer...unless its a real good speaker

You can buy the rf82-ii

I guess I tend to forget there are other Reference speakers then RF-7's, and RF-5's. These where the speakers that first got me to notice Klipsch. When they replaced them with from what I felt was a down grade, I guess I felt the same as you.

I can relate to this, I've always thought and do still think that the 3's, 5's, and 7's were better.

??? The RF-82 is clearly an upgrade from the RF-3, however slight it may be. True, the RF-5 remains unmatched in its price range and had seen no successor, but the real Reference line has only gotten better.

I'm still trying to figure out the upcoming marketing strategy here though. Is the new true reference line going to be renamed?

Or will we have the new Icon/Reference line sitting under a continuing Reference II series?

• Like 1

I've done A/B listening between the 82's and the 3's before and hands down I always selected the 3's on their own.  The 82's seemed tinny to me.

To each their own, but I can say the same for the surrounds and centers too.  I may own some new reference stuff, but if I was given an option I'd go back to the single digits in a heartbeat.  But again, that's just me.

I've done A/B listening between the 82's and the 3's before and hands down I always selected the 3's on their own. The 82's seemed tinny to me.

To each their own, but I can say the same for the surrounds and centers too. I may own some new reference stuff, but if I was given an option I'd go back to the single digits in a heartbeat. But again, that's just me.

I totally get that. The RF-35s sound much like the RF-3s with a strongly pronounced midrange and very "forward" voicing. True Klipsch signature sound that some people hate. I think if I had to choose, I'd let the 82s go and keep my 35s.

However, I'm positive that the recessed midrange on the 82s is actually more accurate and neutral. Combined with the deeper reaching bass, it is technically the superior speaker, our preferences aside.