Newbie looking to upgrade crossovers on my Reference RF-3 ii

ninjai18

So am I still the ******* for recommending against DIY on this?

I thought I was but I'll share the love.

How about we cool it with tearing me apart about it? Just take a chill pill guys. It's not like I messed up your personal speakers. You don't want to help? Fine. But I don't need lectures. I was aware of the risk going in. I appreciate the help, but please cool it with that. ;)

i-hate-to-say-i-told-you-so.jpg

• Like 1

I honestly don't think it is. There's stuff you can't see in the pictures. Would you mind helping me through how to connect the parts up on a piece of wood? That is the route I really want to go now. I don't have the time to wait in line to have them done for me. I also don't have old crossovers to work on. I'd like to learned how to wire them up on a piece of pine board, it sounds really fun and doesn't look too hard. I just need to know what connects to what.

Schematics are generally read from left to right.

Do you know what symbols represent a inductor coil? Or a capacitor? A resistor? If you do, you're half-way there.

The RF3/RF3II crossover network is two circuits on one board. HF for the tweeter, and LF for the woofer/woofers. If you can follow through a schematic, you won't have to ask what connects to what...it will be obvious.

Do a net search on basic passive crossovers...things like first order high-pass, low-pass, etc...it should give you an idea how things connect and work.

Look at some of Deans work on his site to help understand the process.

Here's a image of a crossover network for Adire HF12.1 coaxials that I lashed up a couple of days ago...if that helps...

It may look somewhat easy, but it can be a real PITA.

post-4542-0-77740000-1426646830_thumb.jp

I'm going to keep beating you up because it's for you're own good!

You have the same problems you started with.

1) You probably don't know how to solder. What do you think, and be honest.

2) You might be using the wrong type of solder. What are you using?

3) You aren't generating enough heat to get the solder to flow. So, your iron is not reaching the melting point of the solder, why? Is it because the iron doesn't have enough wattage -- what are you using for a soldering iron? What kind of tip do you use? How old is it, and what kind of shape is it in? Could the tip be too big, or is it too small? let's see a picture of that thing!

New problems:

You now want to build on wood, but you have all of the above issues plus a few new ones.

You have a schematic but you're still asking for help. That means you don't know how to read a schematic. If you knew how to read a schematic, you could print it out, lay it out in front of you, and start building! A schematic is a logical drawing that shows you all of the parts, their values, and how they connect. You can actually lay the parts and wiring out exactly how the schematic shows.

You will need standoffs, a pair of 6 or 8 point barrier strips, a crimper, 16 gauge stranded wire in black and red, and a slew of #8 ring tongue insulated terminals. If you had a decent soldering iron you could dispense with this stuff and just go with the standoffs for the wiring, but I don't think you have the horsepower.

You have caps that might be damaged, but you have no way of testing them -- big problem. There is a way to test them using your receiver and a driver, but I don't want to see you frying a driver while testing a $5 capacitor.

I think you should call Bob Crites and see if he wants to do this. If his shop is caught up, he can get this done relatively fast. It's cake work, I just don't have the time.

Why don't some of you just say you don't want to help instead of telling me how unskilled I am and throwing around "I told ya so" remarks? Seriously, no one is forcing you to help. Enough with the rude elitism. If you want to help me learn how all this works, great. If not, than please excuse yourself from the discussion. I did follow the advise given but obviously made a mistake in the process, it happens. Get over it, jeez. I never once said I was a pro or didn't need help, that's why I'm asking!

Why do you guys think it's such a big deal for me to ask for step by step instructions? I have looked around online and can't seem to find a step by step guide for a crossover similar to this one. I wasn't aware this was a forum on "parenting" novices who are asking for help.. It's a shame, because this thread could really help other people who have RF-3's that are new to this but could do it with a step by step guide. Guess that's too much to ask.. (funny, because I sware I've seen plenty of other posts guiding newbies through other projects)

Edited by ninjai18

Why don't some of you just say you don't want to help instead of telling me how unskilled I am and throwing around "I told ya so" remarks? Seriously, no one is forcing you to help. Enough with the rude elitism. If you want to help me learn how all this works, great. If not, than please excuse yourself from the discussion. I did follow the advise given but obviously made a mistake in the process, it happens. Get over it, jeez. I never once said I was a pro or didn't need help, that's why I'm asking!

Why do you guys think it's such a big deal for me to ask for step by step instructions? I have looked around online and can't seem to find a step by step guide for a crossover similar to this one. I wasn't aware this was a forum on "parenting" novices who are asking for help.. It's a shame, because this thread could really help other people who have RF-3's that are new to this but could do it with a step by step guide. Guess that's too much to ask.. (funny, because I sware I've seen plenty of other posts guiding newbies through other projects)

I don't know, maybe some are having a "Bruce Jenner moment" in their lives and feeling a little emasculated by Kardashian-like women and see this as an outlet to beat the dead horse?  Let's just hope we don't see any announcements of another kind of "crossover" in the lounge section.  :o

dead horse.gif

I see the cranky-solder-covered-one recommended Bob Crites.  Here is a link to Bob Crites site with contact information.  Bob is typically fairly easy to reach, easy to talk with and it probably wouldn't hurt at this point to talk with him and evaluate options. I've bought a lot of parts from Bob over the years and he seems to generate lots of praise on his crossover work too.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Here are a couple of threads where people have extensively praised Bob and his work and the fast turnaround times.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155859-crites-service/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151505-crites

Good luck getting everything back up and running.

post-36163-0-57380000-1426669509_thumb.g

Edited by Fjd

The most important advice given throughout this thread is that you should not attempt this project without having some intermediate soldering skills (at a minimum) and that you should take the time to acquire some basic tools and experience before proceeding.

What sonic characteristics in your speakers do you find problematic enough to warrant crossover work? If none, there's no real point in doing this, other than some soldering practice. I'd suggest getting a Chinese class d amp off eBay and have fun swapping out capacitors and inductors, etc on one of those.. Most likely you'd have more dramatic effect on what you hear.

you ignored that and proceeded anyway, and now you're begging for help to fix your ignorance.

i'd offer to help, but I don't want to be on the hook for you taking a half-listening approach, messing it up further and blaming me in the process. i certainly don't want to try and clean up your mess.

you've ignored anything that doesn't fit precisely in your stubborn goal, even when it was the help you needed most (protecting your crossovers from yourself) ...so i mock you instead.

Oh and make sure you fully disclose your handiwork to any future buyers of your speakers.

Enough with the damn lectures man! Why on earth would you "be on the hook"? This is a forum correspondence, I'm not paying for information, thus I would never "blame" you for anything I messed up. I am not blaming anyone for anything, I am asking for assistance in wiring things up. Seriously, you are getting really annoying now. F**k off with the damn lectures, dad. Good god. Didn't know this forum was so full of lecturing a-holes ready to throw any mistakes you make on a project in your face. F**k me.

Edited by ninjai18

If you want to help me learn how all this works, great.

The best thing you can do at this point is order a replacement pair of crossovers from Bob.  This will instantly get your speakers up and running.  While you're waiting, supply Dean with all the information he's requested regarding your gear.  He'll let you know what to purchase.  Start practicing soldering.  Once you're competent, use Bob's crossovers as a template as to what yours should look like as Bobs will come mounted on a board similar to what you're thinking about doing.  This way your speakers will be up and running, you'll have honed your soldering skills and you'll see how to wire your crossovers correctly as you'll have a properly wired example to follow without having to learn how to read a schematic.

If you want to help me learn how all this works, great.

The best thing you can do at this point is order a replacement pair of crossovers from Bob. This will instantly get your speakers up and running. While you're waiting, supply Dean with all the information he's requested regarding your gear. He'll let you know what to purchase. Start practicing soldering. Once you're competent, use Bob's crossovers as a template as to what yours should look like as Bobs will come mounted on a board similar to what you're thinking about doing. This way your speakers will be up and running, you'll have honed your soldering skills and you'll see how to wire your crossovers correctly as you'll have a properly wired example to follow without having to learn how to read a schematic.
I've already inquired with Bob about it in the past, it's just way too expensive. I just want to try my hand at wiring up the components on a piece of wood. I did blow one cap but I have a replacement. (also, I confirmed the circuit board is dead) I did some testing, I'm certain that's what it is.

I'll try to figure out the wiring on my own. Everyone seems keen on lecturing me as if I was their 10 year old son working on a pinewood derby car. Thought this place would be a lot more helpful, oh well. Thanks to those that actually helped, minus the lectures.

I'm out.

Edited by ninjai18

If you are still around, how many crossovers/speakers do you have?

Just a friendly tip... You can sometimes replace parts by clipping the leads and attaching new parts to those leads. The way you don't have to pull the old leads off the boards.

I'll try to figure out the wiring on my own.
The schematic IS a wiring diagram. You can lay out the parts in the exact same way, but it's usually not as efficient/clean a layout.

Bruce

So am I still the ******* for recommending against DIY on this?

I thought I was but I'll share the love.

How about we cool it with tearing me apart about it? Just take a chill pill guys. It's not like I messed up your personal speakers. You don't want to help? Fine. But I don't need lectures. I was aware of the risk going in. I appreciate the help, but please cool it with that. ;)

and

i-hate-to-say-i-told-you-so.jpg

you want to be a moderator? snicker and sneer to order. somebody who is a moderator shut this thread down please.

You got the help you needed, but your lack of experience prevented you from seeing it. I gave you just about all of the reasons that might have been responsible for your solder not taking, told you what you would need to build on wood, and explained what was on a schematic and how to use it to make a physical layout. You didn't answer any of my questions, and I kind of needed those answers before I could take you any further. If you don't have the right tools and at least some experience, you're not going to get very far. It's people like you that stop people like me from wanting to help others. You won't do anything to help us help you, and then blame everyone else when they don't satisfy your idea of what "help" is -- which in this case would have required a two hour YouTube video.