La Scala appearance repairs

notboating

My La Scalas have not been treated very kindly by their previous owners. I have thought about a few things to make them look more presentable and looking for feedback (pro's con's) from those who have traveled down this road.

Option 1 Veneer

Option 2 Shell replacement (top bottom left and right sides)

Option 3 Add a layer of plywood around existing box.

Thoughts?

My La Scalas have not been treated very kindly by their previous owners. I have thought about a few things to make them look more presentable and looking for feedback (pro's con's) from those who have traveled down this road.

Option 1 Veneer

Option 2 Shell replacement (top bottom left and right sides)

Option 3 Add a layer of plywood around existing box.

Thoughts?

I intend on going with your option 3.  It will make them heavier but, will help kill the side walls from resonating.

Once you tame the sides, you will think & feel like you've gained more bass.  It's already there but it's getting torn up by the vibrations of the sides.

• Like 1

I'm awestruck by their sound and have wanted a pair forever. This pair presented itself and was affordable. I can deal with the cosmetics.This is the worst of it, 1 speaker only. I like the veneers I've seen but I also want to try the bass box option (that LS sits on) so I'm more inclined to overlay a nice finished plywood.

post-58810-0-62140000-1410309526_thumb.j

post-58810-0-82820000-1410309543_thumb.j

post-58810-0-11620000-1410309559_thumb.j

post-58810-0-13740000-1410309575_thumb.j

They definitely need some TLC. 

Veneer can turn La Scalas into near works of art. seriously. The only problem with veneer is that inside the bass bin only the front portions of the surface are accessible. The doghouse and sides can be done for a large portion. a lovely solution to this is to add some Belle Klipsch style grill covers inside the bass bin to cover the unveneered  surfaces. I would also suggest matching the HF section with grill cloth, if they do not already have grill boards. Some raised trim work will be required to make this look right, unless they came that way from the factory. 

Another option, which is pretty easy and can make for some very nice cabs would be to have a nice black finish after patching up the cabs. 

Can't find the pic i am looking for, but this is an example of a LaScala which has had cabinet mods to match the Type B Khorn cabs

Hope you can post some pics of your project as you go along. 

NJkhorn31.jpg

They definitely need some TLC. 

Veneer can turn La Scalas into near works of art. seriously. The only problem with veneer is that inside the bass bin only the front portions of the surface are accessible. The doghouse and sides can be done for a large portion. a lovely solution to this is to add some Belle Klipsch style grill covers inside the bass bin to cover the unveneered  surfaces. I would also suggest matching the HF section with grill cloth, if they do not already have grill boards. Some raised trim work will be required to make this look right, unless they came that way from the factory. 

Another option, which is pretty easy and can make for some very nice cabs would be to have a nice black finish after patching up the cabs. 

Can't find the pic i am looking for, but this is an example of a LaScala which has had cabinet mods to match the Type B Khorn cabs

Hope you can post some pics of your project as you go along. 

NJkhorn31.jpg

Yes….that is one terrific photo. All the colors and grain match, looks like a brochure picture.

• Like 1

If you decide to wrap them in 3/4" ply....  then think ahead a bit....  you could make the wrap about 3/4" deeper than the LaScala box.  This would make the front horn mouth 'stepped'.

You could then perhaps use this to make some grills which would fit inside the edge of the new outer wrapping and have it fully supported by what is currently the front face of the speaker.

(I never know if I describe that well enough to make sense)

If so, it would allow a partial or full grill on the front and it would be flush with the outer wrapped plywood.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I am skilled at working with wood and am comfortable with any of the paths.

The LS i have are circa 92 from what I can tell by the S/N.

They are not the split type.

I like the look of Pancho's LS, very nice!

I'm leaning towards adding a layer of plywood. I think I can achieve the split look by doing this as well as the wrap around cover for the tweeter/squawker box as Coyote suggests.

WMcD, I do not quite understand what is meant by the collar and when you speak of improvements would that be aesthetic or audible or both?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming!