Hiding exposed wires

hydro_pyro

I hate exposed wires, so I tackled the problem. I wall-mounted my display, and dropped some boxes into the wall behind the TV and the equipment below. The boxes are chopped out at the back to fit a large volume of wires. The covers are plain cover plates with a 1" hole hogged out in the middle.

1EFAB8A6-2AEE-40A8-A985-F4812C972490-426

This took care of any hanging wires, but my cable modem and wireless router are also in here, so there's a lot of wires below, as well as the ugly covers and outlet visible through the inside of the rack.

1A3061C6-B63C-4017-B774-0FF754422A5C-149

I fashioned a curtain from some black fleece fabric, and stapled it to the back of the rack.

07603FE3-9773-4F94-ADBF-3EC7CE196C94-117

Now it looks clean. The curtain "blacks out" the rack, and even hides the few wires that are still in front of it, since I replaced all the 5' yellow CAT5 cables with 2' black ones.

91D40710-9E77-4318-A058-2B08BFC4C1E6-117

I'm happy with the end result. :)

Edited by hydro_pyro
  • Like 4

...and before someone asks, the RB's are hooked up to my zone B front channel outputs. I add them in only when I listen to music. They have a nice strong midrange that really helps fill the room. I have the RS surrounds on stands in the rear corners. The speaker cables for those are also in the walls and under the floor, out of view.

• Moderators

Looks super clean!  Nice job.  Love the blackout out fabric.  Excellent idea. 

What I found that works well for the rats nest of wires is to roll the extra length of cables into loops and secure them with velcro straps, zip ties or even twist ties.

I hate exposed wires, so I tackled the problem.

1A3061C6-B63C-4017-B774-0FF754422A5C-149

Any issues with how it sounds?

The reason why I ask is that I see several issues in this picture.

Chris

Very nice job on the wires.  What role do the bookshelf RB's play?

His third post, eight minutes after the OP;

...and before someone asks, the RB's are hooked up to my zone B front channel outputs. I add them in only when I listen to music. They have a nice strong midrange that really helps fill the room. I have the RS surrounds on stands in the rear corners. The speaker cables for those are also in the walls and under the floor, out of view.

eh... exposed wires never bothered me.

what bothers me more is a rats nest behind devices. I try and route all that stuff so it's clean changes are easily made.

nice work though OP.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 2

Most of the rat's nest is from 7 channels of speaker wires left long enough to pull away from the wall when needed, and various power cables. There's two power strips screwed to the back of the rack. I need to add a few tie bands to clean things up better.

I know the issues... My living room is an irregular shape, and some of you are wondering why there's a subwoofer in the middle of a wall. It's because, as strange as this sounds, I get less phase cancellation and "dead spots" around the room with it located up front, and it doesn't tend to drown out the recliner seat in the back corner, where it would logically go. Even more strange, is there's stronger punch with less cancellation with the sub phase reversed. Weird, huh?

The hole on the back of my entertainment center "accidentally" got bigger when trying to fish wires through one day. I thought about doing the same thing with a piece of black cloth. Since you closed off the back have you noticed any significant increase in heat?

Edited by comay