Hoping someone can help with Cornwall decision...

sb001

I went to a pawn shop today and found a pair of immaculate Klipsch Cornwalls sitting in the corner. Oiled oak finish (I think), they had the nice vintage cane grilles, and even had corner protectors screwed into them. I checked the date on the back tag, and it said 1980.

But, when I got home and researched them, I discovered that according to most everything I have seen, the original Cornwalls had rear-mounted drivers on the baffle. The speakers I had seen at the shop had flush mounted, like the Cornwall IIs (which according to Klipsch's Cornwall timeline did not come out until 1986.)

I am SURE the speaker tags said "Cornwall" NOT "Cornwall II," and that they said 1980. That would seem to fit, except the drivers were all flush mounted!

Can someone please help me figure out what exactly these are? Did Klipsch go through a transition period during this time where they moved to flush-mounted drivers on the original Cornwalls? Help!! Thanks!

Welcome and stick around cause someone here will help with the answer.

Meanwhile, I guess someone could have remounted the drivers from the outside/flush as you say.

Thank you-

I am going to have to go back there tomorrow and see if I can take pictures of these, while trying to explain to the owner why.... :D

Oh BTW, they also had the recessed cup terminals in the back, again like the Cornwall IIs. Very confused... :unsure:

Edited by sb001
  • Like 1

a lot of the labels klipsch used were printed with the year 1980 on them but had nothing to do with the year they were built. to correctly identify the year you have to read the serial number.

the type should read C-11 OO or Cornwall-11 Oak Oil and the serial numbers should start with 85 or 86 or 87 and so on

cornwall 11's came out in late 1985 and the serial number will start with the year they were built

Thank you- that would make sense then- and I will double check the serial numbers.

However did the labels differentiate in wording between "Cornwall" and "Cornwall II?"  I am going to give myself the benefit of the doubt by saying these MAY have said "Cornwall II", but I am almost certain they just said "Cornwall."

If you're considering buying these, you might move quickly, they might sell in the mean time, and that would be a shame.

I might, however from my research it seems there is a bit of a value difference between the Cornwalls and C IIs-- if they turned out to be original Cornwalls i think their asking price is fair, however if they are the Cornwall IIs I would have to do some further research to see whether they were a fair price.

ebay completed items page of a pair of cornwall 2's        check out the label and at the very bottom it says 1980 but are clearly 1987's in the serial number starting with year they were built 1987

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Klipsch-Cornwall-II-Loudspeakers-Oiled-Walnut-PERFECT-CONDITION-/301298271959?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4626c6c6d7&nma=true&si=e%252BXsrX%252B6Gjm3A8PyOIJ7fUHlNIs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That must be what they are then- and I just missed the "II" in the model designation on the tag.

I'll go double check them again tomorrow, appreciate everyone's help.

Edited by sb001

immaculate?  Go get them and sort out the details later. 

I'd admit... that attitude has caused a problem or two for me in the past but I have no regrets.

No one on ebay selling the Cornwall IIs with an asking price above what the shop wants for these has sold them... thus my hesitation-- I would buy them to keep, but I want to make sure I am not getting ripped off.

If they're at a pawn shop, his asking price is probably double what he gave for them. Throw a lowball number at him and go from there.

My time around pawn shops has ensured me no shop ever ONLY asks for double what they gave -- triple or quadruple more like it :D

Playing the devil's advocate here.....OK, slow down....lots of "go get them"... but no one has asked how much they are going for...Secondly, are they willing to play them for you?  "Immaculate" speakers with bad components are no bargain at all.   Take a little bit of speaker wire with you, perhaps an interconnect for your phone, and ask to use one of their receivers.  Listen to them before you leave the shop if possible.  Would be wonderful if you got a bargain and a nice pair of Cornwalls.  Let us know.

• Like 3

there is minimal difference in value between cornwall 1 and cornwall 2, if the price is considered fair it should be fair for either

800 to 1000 is considered a decent deal on a clean pair of either 1 or 2 models............................they sound very much alike and are  / were built with the same attention to detail in the same factory

If it is a good price they wont set long, it only takes 1 knowledgeable buyer to walk in

also as stated pawnshops typically barter as they will triple + mark up items from what they paid,  floor space is also a premium in most pawn shops and they like moving the larger items

Good Luck 

Nobody has ask what pawn shop are these at and what time does it open, he, he.

Haha, I was waiting for it though ;)

The suggested price range posted above is EXAACTLY in line with what they are asking-- $900.  Would really want to get at least $100 off of that.

I would definitely test them out before buying.

The suggested price range posted above is EXAACTLY in line with what they are asking-- $900.  Would really want to get at least $100 off of that. I would definitely test them out before buying.

Then offer $700.00 CA$H.

Bill 

The suggested price range posted above is EXAACTLY in line with what they are asking-- $900.  Would really want to get at least $100 off of that. I would definitely test them out before buying.

Then offer $700.00 CA$H.

Bill 

That's exactly what I was thinking.