The Bully Got More Than He Bargined For

derrickdj1

My experience with school fights, is that mere fighting is not the biggest problem; it's beat downs. 

If you haven't seen a Youtube sneak attack where it is planned, all the kids get out their cell phones to record the event for Youtube, and then the victim is ambushed, then pummeled while defenseless, it's disgusting.  And then to the victim, it's mentally traumatizing long past the physical recovery.

And girl on girl beat downs are way more common than you think.

Internet has caused info overload in the past two decades and really it has mushroomed in the past 10 years.  Nothing has really changed, we are just so connected now we hear about everything in the news whether on our phones, apps and ultimately the local news, CNN or FOX news.  Time to unplug from it all and just talk about the weather. 

• Like 2

Too many violent video games as kids.

bullXXX. this behavior existed before video games.

The profanity is unnecessary, even the "bull" part.  But my comment would address your point, after that.

I am a mental health professional.  I have gone to adolescent residential facilites and talked with the kids who do violence to others.  I even had one youth who was locked up because he was going to blow up his high school and was specific about which kids he was going go kill.  He was discovered and locked up in a locked mental health facility BEFORE that happened.  This is something which would not be in the news, because it never happened.  He had specific plans, a method, and a date for this.  This was more than ordinary fantasy.

One of the glaring characteristics was that he would spend nearly ALL of his time not in school in his mother's basement playing violent video games.  I mean 18 hours straight, all night on weekends, very extreme.  This goes to character development of his personality, his learned values, and his warped sense of reality.  I can't give you more detail without violating confidentiality which might identify him.

I know that is an anecdotal story, but there really is something going on with these video games and kids developing an anti-social personality.  I'm not exactly sure what is going on with the violent video games and the addictive qualities of video games in general, but this generation of kids IS different, and I think the video games is influencing it.  In what ways and to what extent has yet to be fully defined.

Please understand Mr. Smith, I did not mean to make this a personal argument, but I thought if I shared some of my personal experiences as a professional that does NOT make the news, that perspective might be helpful.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.  Agree, disagree, it's all OK with me.  You won't hurt my feelings.  B)

Video games didn't cause that behavior - I would argue that the individual(s) have underlying environmental, psychological, or emotional conditions which are exacerbated by full immersion in the violent video games. There are plenty of children/teens/adults that play those games without any adverse consequences whatsoever.

To simply dismiss bullying behavior as a product of violent video games is ignorant and lazy. I was bullied heavily in junior high and high school - i was a smart *** an easy target because i preferred not to fight back, but it doesn't mean i deserved it. and it certainly doesn't mean the bullies were psychotic violent video game nuts (this was early to mid 90's). hazing has existed long before my time.

Kids are just dicks, boys and girls alike, and they pick on individuals they perceive to be inferior and weak. i blame poor parenting and poor social accountability as a universal cause for such behavior, not video games.

and if "bullshit" is acceptable here for audio snake oil, it's acceptable for social snake oil.

• Like 2

Kids are just dicks, boys and girls alike, and they pick on individuals they perceive to be inferior and weak. i blame poor parenting and poor social accountability as a universal cause for such behavior, not video games.

This^^^^^^

Kids are plain mean.  Pack behavior magnifies it.

and if "bullshit" is acceptable here for audio snake oil, it's acceptable for social snake oil.

dude, relax, I wasn't being that serious. It's the upbringing and lot of other stuff. In junior high I fought back the school bully and heard he committed suicide before 18. Some kids come from f....ed up households.

My son was bullied by a kid because he was jealous, having come from a broken home, he had issues with his dad. I'm just happy to see kids defend themselves when pushed past a certain point. This kid's death was a freak accident, not the punishment he deserved.

Maybe he was raised with Bose in his house and was jealous cause the other kid had Klipschorns who the heck knows?

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Too many violent video games as kids.

bullXXX. this behavior existed before video games.

The profanity is unnecessary, even the "bull" part.  But my comment would address your point, after that.

I am a mental health professional.  I have gone to adolescent residential facilites and talked with the kids who do violence to others.  I even had one youth who was locked up because he was going to blow up his high school and was specific about which kids he was going go kill.  He was discovered and locked up in a locked mental health facility BEFORE that happened.  This is something which would not be in the news, because it never happened.  He had specific plans, a method, and a date for this.  This was more than ordinary fantasy.

One of the glaring characteristics was that he would spend nearly ALL of his time not in school in his mother's basement playing violent video games.  I mean 18 hours straight, all night on weekends, very extreme.  This goes to character development of his personality, his learned values, and his warped sense of reality.  I can't give you more detail without violating confidentiality which might identify him.

I know that is an anecdotal story, but there really is something going on with these video games and kids developing an anti-social personality.  I'm not exactly sure what is going on with the violent video games and the addictive qualities of video games in general, but this generation of kids IS different, and I think the video games is influencing it.  In what ways and to what extent has yet to be fully defined.

Please understand Mr. Smith, I did not mean to make this a personal argument, but I thought if I shared some of my personal experiences as a professional that does NOT make the news, that perspective might be helpful.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.  Agree, disagree, it's all OK with me.  You won't hurt my feelings.  B)

The Profanity does not bother me.  I worked over 10 years in mental health.  I have watched as the support for the mentally ill has pretty much left the area for non-service connected people.  The nearest mental health hospital for civilians is 75 miles north.  A lot of people needing mental health do not have the resources to travel.  Nor do they seem to want to go the the ED.  I really can't blame them.  Being admitted to a mental health hospital can be degrading experience.  such as;  you have to empty all your pockets into a locker, take off all your clothes so they can also be searched.  2-3 people watching to make sure you don't hurt yourself or do anything you are not suppose to do.  Then you get paper scrubs in some Hospitals.

When you get out you may find that your wallet has been gone through and everything is out of place which causes anxiety.  Where I worked we went through the patient's belongings with the patient present.

I always told my patients that having a mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of.  No more then someone with a heart condition.

As I said, I worked on a Psych unit for over 10 years, before my Dr. said no more and pulled me out of work.

I got to see a mental health hospital from the patient's perspective.  A hospital that rates much better in my mind then the one I worked at.  It was a real shame the quality of care given to our Veterans.

While I was a patient, one of my former patients was admitted.  I about lost it, as I did not want him to see me, and I was working on getting discharged.

Then I really had to look at myself.  Was I man enough to stand up to what I had been telling my patients all these years or not.  So I approached my former patient, and he recognised me from my job.  Over all I think it was good for myself and my former patient.  For the duration of my stay we ate meals together as equals.

The telling of being on a mental health unit is difficult.  But as I said, I believe mental illness is no more to be ashamed of then a heart condition.  You got it, you need to take medication for it.  If the meds you are on are not working, you need to talk with your Dr.  

If you are doing better while taking your meds that means that the meds are doing what they are suppose to.  Unfortunately so many feel better and stop taking their med because the don't feel ill anymore.

Others don't like the side effects of the meds.  There are severe side effects to some of these meds.  I have seen people die due to side effects of the medications.  

I agree that the violence on TV and Video Games does affect some people.  Not all thank God, but some people carry their emotions from the fantasy world to the real world. 

"I think that too many parents use the television and video games as a babysitter.  Things must be doing alright, the kids not bothering me."

I hope I did not Hi-Jack this thread,  That was not my intent.

John

• Like 2

Video games didn't cause that behavior - I would argue that the individual(s) have underlying environmental, psychological, or emotional conditions which are exacerbated by full immersion in the violent video games. There are plenty of children/teens/adults that play those games without any adverse consequences whatsoever.

To simply dismiss bullying behavior as a product of violent video games is ignorant and lazy. I was bullied heavily in junior high and high school - i was a smart *** an easy target because i preferred not to fight back, but it doesn't mean i deserved it. and it certainly doesn't mean the bullies were psychotic violent video game nuts (this was early to mid 90's). hazing has existed long before my time.

Everything was well stated TS, you made some good points.  I can see your points of view much better, all perfectly valid.

I think what some other posters were commenting on is the escalation of school violence, and maybe wondering if the violent video games are having some influence on that, a correlation between vid games and school violence. 

I don't know the answer, because the research hasn't been complete, but I can tell you from my perspective on the front lines, there is something going on, and it scares the heck out of me.  I see a specific segment of the new generation of kids who have no conscience or moral center. 

That is the 1% that is scaring the crap out of the other 99% of us.

Edited by wvu80

my pure opinion is that nothing has really changed over the years in schools. i think culturally we have become hypersensitive to all degrees of violence in schools, and the instant worldwide availability to report even the smallest of incidents.

20 years ago I went to a high school with heavy gang violence and half a dozen super beef cake security guards that would break up large fights, discipline teens, and maintain order. In the 3rd grade I used to watch GI Joes and draw pictures of imaginary fortresses with laser canons on turrets.

The kids haven't changed but now we have armed police officers and expulsions for even the slightest representation of a weapon, regardless of how innocent the child's intent.

it's the adults that have twisted things into the way they are now. don't believe me? look at trends related to standardized testing over the last decade.

they pick on individuals they perceive to be inferior and weak

Or at least individuals they perceive to be weak.  I once asked one of our psychology faculty who has worked in the area what was going on with people who beat up (or kill) the elderly, young children (even babies!) or the generally weaker.  He said that the perceived weakness may indeed be a factor because the bullies/killers of the weak/etc. can't stand to see weakness, and want to stamp it out.  They may be deathly afraid that they are weak themselves.