Winston Ma's listening room

tube fanatic

... But do tell, what's so magical about them?....

Tweeter – Accuton 1” C12 Ceramic Dome – approximately $190

Midrange – Accuton 3.5” C90 Ceramic – approximately $280

Woofer – Eton 11” Hexacone – approximately $275Total cost of drivers per pair = $1490

Make me a pair and I'll give them a listen. Oh, rosewood would be nice so it matches my Heresys.

They're on their way. Just close your eyes and you will never hear the difference :)

116_1687.jpg

I certainly hope your tongue was in your cheek.

• Like 1

... But do tell, what's so magical about them?....

Tweeter – Accuton 1” C12 Ceramic Dome – approximately $190

Midrange – Accuton 3.5” C90 Ceramic – approximately $280

Woofer – Eton 11” Hexacone – approximately $275Total cost of drivers per pair = $1490

Make me a pair and I'll give them a listen. Oh, rosewood would be nice so it matches my Heresys.

They're on their way. Just close your eyes and you will never hear the difference :)

I certainly hope your tongue was in your cheek.

Hey i sent the ducks too, just to seal the deal !   Although, I still haven't gotten that $24K Paypal from Russ yet

I wont be able to A/B until I get your pair. I'm out by the curb, are they coming soon? Hey, wait a minute that's not rosewood.

Edited by russ69
  • Like 1

I don't believe that's Winston's ma's listening room and stereo set up. I think it's Winston's himself. His ma may have picked the carpet colors though.

That's what I saw, too.

Clearly, we all could benefit from the room architecture shown and described.  It sounds as if the construction details probably doubled the cost/unit-of-area alone.  I'd be happy to have that room. :wub:

But like tromprof - I'd move the tube amplifiers heating the room out of the way to place the Jubs/TADs in the corners with really good horn-loaded subs and a large flat screen and surround loudspeakers (no offense intended to the non-Klipsch direct-radiating loudspeaker manufacturer shown).  Why have a room like that and then not place the best loudspeakers that you know of in it?

:)

Edited by Chris A

Save that for the home theater rig, it has no place in a serious music system.
Does that also include Klipsch loudspeakers?

Not everyone wants a flatscreen and surround speakers to muck up the musical experience. Save that for the home theater rig, it has no place in a serious music system.

Shakey

Not sure how a well set up surround system with quality gear mucks up the musical experience. A crappy one, sure. But that is also true of stereo.

I don't understand the knee jerk response to surround sound. I just finished a performance of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony 45 min. ago. Tuba on my left, 2nd trombone on my right. Trumpets in front, tympani behind. Basses front left, woodwinds front right, the rest of the strings front. Surround sound.

"The listening room must be coupled to mother earth to diffuse acoustical energy."

tried to sell this to the wife when we bought our house.......she wasn't buying it!

It's OK angusruler......our acoustical energy is good here in Mt Airy.......our listening rooms do not need to be coupled to mother earth..... lol lol

My acoustical engergy is just fine when I'm pushing 300+ watts of Carver power to my Chorus II's :-)

• Like 1

His ears, his money, and im sure he has found the sound that pleases his him.

I dont much care for the equipment that is IN the room, but how can anyone not love the fact YOU BUILT IT just for your hobby.

Speaking for myself, id just like to have a friend with the first name of "Winston".

• Like 4

Not everyone wants a flatscreen and surround speakers to muck up the musical experience. Save that for the home theater rig, it has no place in a serious music system.

Shakey

Not sure how a well set up surround system with quality gear mucks up the musical experience. A crappy one, sure. But that is also true of stereo.

I don't understand the knee jerk response to surround sound. I just finished a performance of Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony 45 min. ago. Tuba on my left, 2nd trombone on my right. Trumpets in front, tympani behind. Basses front left, woodwinds front right, the rest of the strings front. Surround sound.

My experience with surround has been that while it seemed pretty cool at first it was still gimmicky and not what I want to hear long term.  I have had a thought about this that might explain why some people like it and others don't.  You are a performer and quite used to being "surrounded" by sound from all directions.  That is an experience that you are used to and enjoy. Others might really like that immersed feeling too.  I haven't been a performer since jr. high school and I'm used to sitting in the audience.  The only need for surround for me would be to add audience noise and whatever other ambiance is to the sides or back of me.  Anything beyond that is not natural to me and is a distraction.  I have experienced a good room with a good setup that completely transported me to the venues where the recordings were made. There was no need for surround.   It was quite amazing and I hope to someday replicate that!  

• Like 2

My experience with surround has been that while it seemed pretty cool at first it was still gimmicky and not what I want to hear long term.

from Toole's book (pg. 34):

"Apparent Source Width (ASW): a measure of perceived broadening of a sound image whose location is defined by direct sound. In live performances, it is the auditory illusion of a sound source that is wider than visible sources, this is considered to be a strongly positive attribute of a concert hall. Perhaps because they lack other pleasures of live performances, many audiophiles have come to think that pinpoint localizations are measure of excellence, so there are opposite points of view. It is a perspective also cultivated by the bulk popular recordings, many of which are directionally uncomplicated: left, center, and right.

Listener Envelopment (LEV) is a sense of being in a large space, of being surrounded by a diffuse array of sounds not associated with any localizable sound images. This is regarded as perhaps the more important component of spaciousness, differentiating good concert halls from poor ones. Envelopment was absent from monophonic reproduction and only modestly represented in stereo reproduction, so music lovers have experienced decades of spatial deprivation. Through multichannel audio systems, moviegoers have occasionally been exposed to better things for many years, and now, finally, the capability can be extended to the music repertoire."

This second attribute of loudspeaker performance that is generally accepted nowadays is said to be the most important of the two listed above.  Note the comment that Toole makes about the fact that stereo just doesn't get you there.

I still subscribe to the "Turing test" for loudspeaker arrays ("Klipsch's test") which says that the standard by which loudspeaker arrays should be compared to...is live acoustic (non-amplified) music.  I have a theory that there are a lot of "stereophiles" that probably don't go to many acoustic (non-amplified) music performances in good music halls and remember what it really sounds like.  Recommend visiting your local college/university wind or string ensembles/orchestras to recalibrate your ears.

I also believe that many home surround sound setups that people think are good are probably not really that good in the final analysis.  The result of these experiences is that many people form their opinions on surround sound based those less-than-ideal setups.  I'll also say that there are some very good surround sound arrays at movie theaters that can be used a point of reference for home systems. 

Because home surround sound loudspeakers are in small rooms, good implementation I believe is actually much more difficult--based on my experiences setting up my 5.2 at home (see profile for loudspeaker types and hardware used).  I've learned a lot of things in the last few months working to get my system tuned up, many of those revelations are those that I've never read anywhere.

YMMV.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I plan to share but I still have a couple of things to do this week matching FR and phase between loudspeakers, retesting, and checking the results (which by the way takes a little time I've found).

My MO hasn't changed: I'm still trying to share things that I've learned from the school of hard knocks so that others don't have to.  But it seems that the further that I go down this road, the more that I find that "common knowledge" isn't so common, and many rules-of-thumb that I've seen just seem to fall apart once I begin to examine more closely.

I'll warn you though: most of the things that I've found aren't related to brands or branding (i.e., "brand X" vs. "brand y"), "matching components", or plug-and-play on anything having to do with loudspeakers and room acoustics.  Some of the items cost real money to fix--but in places that most people I find aren't paying attention to.  Others take almost no money at all.  I find that many folks are paying money for things that just don't make any real difference.  And "looks before performance" definitely has never borne out.  It's never been about physical beauty or "coolness" or even "glow in the dark", I've found.

It's the story of "The Chronicles of Audiophilia", I afraid.

Edited by Chris A