Cornwall Vs La Scala Vs KLF-30 Which is more desirable?

Zappa Freak

Let me put the KLFs on layaway. :-D

Smart Idea for anyone that has actually examined the guts KLF-30 vs. Heritage, drivers and crossovers.  Their major drawback is the cabinet needs to be finished better.  Some also say the tweeter diaphragm but having the Ti will be a taste thing.

I do like the LaScalas dressed up though unless you have a really good set of subs and crossovers, they don't go low enough.  

Personal opinions YMMV.

• Like 1

I REALLY LIKE MY THREE LASCALAS UP FRONT AND KLF 30'S IN BEHIND. 30.S ADD SOME DEPTH TO THE BASS NEEDED WITHOUT SUBS. IF YOU HAVE 7.1 AND CAN BRIDGE THE REAR SURROUND TO THE 2ND LASCALA TRY IT BETWEEN THE TWO 30.S ON THE BACK WALL. HOPE YOU HAVE A BIG ROOM, GOOD LUCK. OH, THIS WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO SELL THOSE BEAUTIFUL LS'S OR LOVELY SKINNY BLACK 30'S.

using an academy as a center have the K-horns in the back and the Cornwall's as fronts only have one corner in the front.

Yes i should reconfigure the room.........

But room or no room it's all about the quality of the overall sound

If you ever reconfigure and put the Khorns up front, you'll not keep the Academy there for long.  I once had an Academy between two LaScalas and it was an epic fail.  It simply can not keep up with those larger speakers.

I'd personally sway away from having a Cornwall between two Khorns/LaScalas but I guess some do and seems to work fine.  (I've never heard a Cornwall as center between the others, just the Academy)

Do the plank test....whichever pair crushes and turns to toothpicks when you plank on them, is the pair to go. 

You can ask Scrappy any questions on technique.

Hey all, dont post on here much but read alot,I just came accross some heresey II's and have a pair of cornwall II's sooo i decided to use both heresys and wired them in parallel so its a 8 ohm center.I laid them down long ways.I am no expert but it matches up nicely.I had klf 30s with a klf 7 center with sf2 rears and ss5in rear too.I did move the klfs to rear corners with cornwalls and wife wants to kill me.i am in the same boat.thinking of getting rid of the klf 30s and klf 7.I been moving things around every other day.Hope this helps.

• Moderators
I had Khorns and KLF 30's. I kept the 30's. I listen to rock music from the 70's to the present and feel they do the better job for my musical tastes

I had a pair of KLF30's and I can easily see how they excel for rock music.  They absolutely pound in the bass dept so you really feel the kick drum in your chest.

Khorn Bass is lean and accurate

I use a PASSIVE bi-amplifier arrangement with a low-power (rated for 22-watts, peaks at 60) Class A solid-state monster powering the bass bins and 2A3 tubes (rated for 3-watts, peaks at six) powering the mid and upper range horns. The cross-over sounds a full range signal to the bass bins, but eliminates the bass from the metal horns. His give my bass a solid feel. I also use a steep 24-dB slope dual crossover on a 1,500-peak Class A/B sub-woofer. 

Keep the Cornwall pair and LS's as they will sound good and last almost forever, the KLF's are built on a more "disposable" design like a lot of the towers out there.  Besides, the KLF's could have glue turn loose in the future and then develop a good rattle or reso. which might turn into a PITA to fix.  I still own a pair of the KLF 30's and I like them, but they are set up at my moms house for a reason.