Anyone here use a test record for their TT/cartridge/preamp?

Chris A

Anyone use a test record or have any test results to share?  Here is one such test record that I obtained recently:

51-2i5QGAUL.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I think that you'd have a dimensional issue with loading a vinyl test record into anything that you might call "digital"... :P

I'm actually looking for anyone that's used REW, TrueRTA, or LMA, etc. to record the results of their TT/arm/cartridge/phono preamp testing using a test record.

One of the problems that you cannot avoid with turntables and vinyl is that you've got to have a test record (like the above) to see what is actually happening on your typical  multi-kilobuck "audiophile" turntable/arm/cartridge setup.  You really can't practically test these components with anything other than a test record.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

You'd be surprised at the kinds of vinyl rips you might find on certain Russian websites :P

I'm familiar with test CD's that have frequency tones, sweeps, phase adjustments, and demo vocals/drum tracks/etc. I guess I was just curious about what makes it specific to turntables, physical format aside.

I guess I was just curious about what makes it specific to turntables, physical format aside.

Actually. I was initially looking for ways to test the phono preamp separately, but came to the conclusion that an end-to-end test of the system with a vinyl test record on one end and a microphone running REW on the other end was the easiest and most apropos method to check things out.  Testing only the preamp really doesn't make a lot of sense when your focus is really on the whole enchilada - i.e., how it tastes.

With REW upsweeps, you're always assuming that your (digital) HDMI input to the preamp/DAC is the same as the output from a digital disc player (speaking HDMI and S/PDIF, that is--digital outputs to the preamp - not analog RCA connections). So you do your REW upsweeps using the HDMI bus and record the results, which includes things like system impulse response, distortion plots, decay plots and waterfalls, and phase plots. 

With a vinyl test record, all you can accomplish vis-a-vis the above is a RTA plot or oscilloscope-like display of the results, so I used RTA plots - which work pretty well.  But there really isn't a way to do upsweeps using vinyl, unfortunately. 

The author of REW has had that capability in his "to-do" queue for a few years now (i.e., recording upsweeps done externally to REW), unfortunately, and no word on when that might happen.

Edited by Chris A

I have four vintage test records. I use them every time I set up a new table.

I'd like to use the http://www.feickert.de/index.php?id=17&L=1

That link is to a cartridge/turntable protractor - not a test record.  Is that what you intended?

Any test data/plots?

Edited by Chris A

I have four vintage test records. I use them every time I set up a new table.

I'd like to use the http://www.feickert.de/index.php?id=17&L=1

That link is to a cartridge/turntable protractor - not a test record.  Is that what you intended?

Any test data/plots?

I need it for perfect placement of tonearm.  Then I use records and tonearm / cartridge templates for setup and testing. No plots but visual setup measurement and then the ears. That is what the records are for. It doesn't take long to figure out if something is out of whack. I need a bit of refinement on mine.  

I heard mixed results from folks using these test records based mainly on the fact that most home LP's have to deal with arch issues when manufacturing is done linearly.

I have test records and have played them, but mainly I used the one I have to back up the set up and tuning I had done by ear.

I don't have electronic test equip myself.

• Like 1

I too use test records, primarily for setup or when I'm switching out gear. I don't use measuring equipment.

My favorite is the Omnidisc from Telarc.

I also have test records from Popular Science, Shure, Micro-Acoustics , CBS Technical Series, Ohm, a Fisher Quadradisc, and two mono Vanguard Demonstration Records. Most of these have the usual test for balance, various tones etc., and a couple have a "Standard Pitch A" for checking out tape deck speeds with the use of a tuning fork.

Oh, I also have a Cardas Sweeper Record that may be of interest to you. Contains a blank track, system degausing frequency sweep, plateau for tone arm adjustments, and a inverted frequency sweep.

Be happy to send any to you could use except the Omnidisc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...