1920s version of the 4wd SUV

tube fanatic

Awesome.  :)  What they didn't show is that those got hung up all the time. :)  Even on your daily commute people would have a hi-lift jack on them, that's what they heavily relied on to get unstuck. Nowadays people in jeeps trot them around as a fashion accessory for dire emergencies but they got heavily used back then. 

My grandfather collected Model A's before he passed, he was in the movie "A League of their Own" (Tom Hanks, Gena Davis, and Madonna) multiple times.  We still have two 1929's and one 1932.  In the movie you can see his car when the real ugly chick hit a home run out of the gym, it pans away to the parking lot and there it sat.  On one scene when they were hitting, he was behind home plate in the crowd.  The best one though was when the 14 year old boy was driving Gena Davis to the sock hop, pulling up and asking her if she'd jump in the back seat and make a man out of him, that was his car, and my uncle was laid down in the back seat telling the boy how to drive it and ready to jump up and take control if necessary. 

The car that was in the movie was actually bought for farm use, he paid $50 for it.  It was a convertible so he would put it in low gear and throttle it down real low and let it drive itself across a field.  The whole family would follow beside it and dig up potatoes and throw them directly into the car, then he'd drive it to our stable and empty it out and do it again.  Eventually he restored it then turned down $20,000 cash for it. 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Awesome.  :)  What they didn't show is that those got hung up all the time. :)  Even on your daily commute people would have a hi-lift jack on them, that's what they heavily relied on to get unstuck. Nowadays people in jeeps trot them around as a fashion accessory for dire emergencies but they got heavily used back then. 

My grandfather collected Model A's before he passed, he was in the movie "A League of their Own" (Tom Hanks, Gena Davis, and Madonna) multiple times.  We still have two 1929's and one 1932.  In the movie you can see his car when the real ugly chick hit a home run out of the gym, it pans away to the parking lot and there it sat.  On one scene when they were hitting, he was behind home plate in the crowd.  The best one though was when the 14 year old boy was driving Gena Davis to the sock hop, pulling up and asking her if she'd jump in the back seat and make a man out of him, that was his car, and my uncle was laid down in the back seat telling the boy how to drive it and ready to jump up and take control if necessary. 

The car that was in the movie was actually bought for farm use, he paid $50 for it.  It was a convertible so he would put it in low gear and throttle it down real low and let it drive itself across a field.  The whole family would follow beside it and dig up potatoes and throw them directly into the car, then he'd drive it to our stable and empty it out and do it again.  Eventually he restored it then turned down $20,000 cash for it. 

Awesome story, My Dad had a 1929 Model A also, all original. He was born in 29 so that's the year he wanted. He drove it in a few Indy 500 Parades.

• Like 1

Awesome story, My Dad had a 1929 Model A also, all original. He was born in 29 so that's the year he wanted. He drove it in a few Indy 500 Parades.

Thanks. And that's awesome.

I'm set to inherit this one, it's the 32. My mom and uncle get the 29's. My grandfather claimed it was owned by someone in Al Capone's gang. Of course who knows, maybe, probably not. What I do know though is that it was found at the bottom of a lake near Chicago, in horrible condition. My grandfather and his best friend did a frame-off restoration years ago and brought it back to life. Unfortunately he let them all sit too long in a humid garage that did little to stop UV rays so they still went downhill after their restores. That's two of my kids and a neice in the back seat.

37907_411405051953_4605330_n.jpg?oh=8004

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters