2.35:1 screens

Paducah Home Theater

Tried to talk the wife into at least a 120" 2.35 this morning. I can fit it just fine and the picture looks great but she didn't like the movement all that much. Tried sticking with the 100" wide screen of a 110" 2.35 and going 16.9 which is a 115" screen but it's just really tall for old school movies and TV shows on NetFlix. It did however look amazing on video games, I played the Lego movie game and it was way fun. PlayStation games are really the only reason I'd want any bigger than a 110" 2.35:1 even though I can fit larger. While I like nice stuff and refuse to apologize for it, I don't feel the need to compensate for anything by going larger than what is comfortable to us.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Yeah, having a properly setup home theater makes going to the movies a let down.  LOL

Tell me about it, I never get seats that are in the middle so I am not in the 'sweet spot' and the whole time I am fidgeting because I cant hit 'pause' and get a beer from the fridge.

While I like nice stuff and refuse to apologize for it, I don't feel the need to compensate for anything by going larger than what is comfortable to us.
 i wouldn't either. don't know anyone that would wanna spend any amount of money to only be uncomfortable in their own home. and there is also no reason to apoligize. lol you are the one stating how much you pay for stuff. i just like ruffling feathers of guys who brag about how much they spent on something. i used to ruffle michaelandklipsch because he felt the need to put in his sig his hundreds of dollars worth of audioqeust cables on a forum where most use monoprice, and the rest use lamp cord LOL. its all fun and games. 

and as far as your email to me about the screen gain, i would think that you could just turn everything down. bulb will last forever with everything down and on eco mode. although i could be wrong. i am no expert in lumens and screen and all that. all i know is my room is pretty dark, and my projector isnt forever away from my screen, and mine (even on AT) still calibrates in eco and everything to do with brightness down half way probably. 

The use of masking panels for those few films that have shifting aspect ratios (I'm looking at you the hunger games, the dark knight, dark knight rises, transformers 2) makes for a better viewing experience. I wouldn't go any other way than a 2.35:1 screen after owning one. You can always mask down to 1.85:1 and open up the ratio for the majority of your movie watching experience.

I'm curious about masking too. Like I said before I can actually fit a 120" 2.35 screen. It's a little uncomfortable for movies but playstation games are more fun. Curious as to if I should go with the 120" but mask it down to 110" if necessary. I am afraid this will have the same effect that people have with Klipsch RF-7ii's, where they seem huge at first but then seem to lose quite a bit of weight shortly afterwards. Screens are too expensive to play that game.

• Like 1

It is a tough decision. I'm in the process of having a room built with an addition remodel and I decided on a 2.35 fixed screen which should be delivered soon ( Carada 120" brilliant white). I am prepping the screen wall for a flat Tv and a motorized screen also. I figured down the road I could have the best of both worlds. 16x9 motorized and 2.35 fixed. This is my first time owning a projector with screen and its seems a bit overwhelming. But from everything I read and talked with a few people it seems 2.35 fit my needs the best since I will watch movies only ( no gaming).  Gotta buy what fits your needs. Also how close you are sitting rom screen too. I wouldn't think sitting too close with a very large 16x9 would be comfortable ( for me anyways). I don't really enjoy looking up too much during a movie and usually sit int he back row when I go to the movies, but hey thats me. You might be different. good luck on your decision.

Ive got a 110" 2.35 elunevision audio weave on the way. Picked up the latest modern warfare game and at my distances having a 41" high picture at 16:9 was about all my eyes could handle so that sealed the deal. Same with everything else really. Content that didn't move as much like the lego game was able to go higher but it was too much with action sequences and looking around quickly in a game. Hopefully this will work out well.

41" high picture at 16:9 was about all my eyes could handle

Mine will be 49" in 2.35:1 and 78" in 16:9.  If it seems too large, I can always move to the rear seats.

Yeah, I don't have a rear row though. I had this genius idea that my theater room would pull double duty as my home office and I just dont' have room for two rows plus an office. While I haven't quite figured out where else I'd have my office, I should have nixed that idea when we built, been regretting it but I don't know what else I'd do. Maybe should have planned on moving in to my daughter's room since she is already off to college and make her sleep on the hardwood floor when she comes home. :) My wife is a home based attorney so she already had dibs on a wall of the living room and she's big into sewing so my old office desk is taken up by all her crap in the bedroom, there's no other place to go.

The use of masking panels for those few films that have shifting aspect ratios (I'm looking at you the hunger games, the dark knight, dark knight rises, transformers 2) makes for a better viewing experience. I wouldn't go any other way than a 2.35:1 screen after owning one. You can always mask down to 1.85:1 and open up the ratio for the majority of your movie watching experience.

I'm curious about masking too. Like I said before I can actually fit a 120" 2.35 screen. It's a little uncomfortable for movies but playstation games are more fun. Curious as to if I should go with the 120" but mask it down to 110" if necessary. I am afraid this will have the same effect that people have with Klipsch RF-7ii's, where they seem huge at first but then seem to lose quite a bit of weight shortly afterwards. Screens are too expensive to play that game.

When my wife bought me the 134" diagonal 16x9 screen she thought it was going to be too big, but when we got it she loved it. When I decided to move the HT to a dedicated HT room I told my wife we were going to go 150" , and I ordered a 195" diagonal Scope screen. Guess who loves it, and prefers to sit in the front row... My wife does! I am a firm believer of going the max you can on screen size as you will want bigger later. We were watching at 180" diagonal and have now moved the speakers back one more foot (max we can go), and moved the screen back so we now are at around 188" diagonal. My wife still prefers the front row. :)

Edited by ellisr63

Still giving me crap about my cables ay? LoL I still have my audioquest speaker cables because they run through my walls to my speakers but I sold most of them and switched to monoprice xlr and totally happy with them. I wouldn't put money towards copper again just as long as it is thick enough awg. Live and learn that's all. Monoprice makes excellent quality cables etc.

• Like 2

The height bothered us more than the width.  At first we were watching at over 56" tall, or 117" in 16:9.  I could have easily fit it, just too much up and down movement, especially since your eyes have to refocus since the top was further away than the bottom.  Lots of eye strain.  Of course that's exaggerated because my black walls are already straining your eyes due to not being bright enough, but still, it felt like a disorienting workout.  If I was just visualizing the screen and guessing it would be one thing but we have watched several movies from multiple sources, sizes, aspects, and heights, just by shining it on the wall.  We kept coming back to the 110" 2.35:1 size as feeling "right".  I probably would have went 120" but admit it was uncomfortable, and my wife definitely didn't like it, so whatever, 110" is still big at our distances and it's already wider than maximum THX recommendations.  

My wife likes it higher than I do though, not sure how we're going to compromise there.  I like it maybe 26" off the ground and she likes it about a foot higher, maybe more.  Of course if you make her happy but then sit up straight and play a video game, the taller height is pretty uncomfortable, plus being lower sounds more realistic with my towers and center.  

I have a 52" high DaLite Model C High Power pull down screen (132" diag. for 2.35 and 106" diag. for 1.78)  the screen wall is 8'x11'  the room is 11'x16'.  The front row is about 9' away and the back row is about 13' away.  The picture is like sitting in the middle of an average movie theater and from the front row the picture is BIG.  :)

I have attached some screenshots in honor of The Force Awakens teaser release.  Screenshots are with the lights on and off.

post-4836-0-23760000-1417644523_thumb.jp

post-4836-0-86560000-1417644540_thumb.jp

post-4836-0-96920000-1417644563_thumb.jp

Laters,

Jeff

• Like 3

Ive got a 110" 2.35 elunevision audio weave on the way. Picked up the latest modern warfare game and at my distances having a 41" high picture at 16:9 was about all my eyes could handle so that sealed the deal. Same with everything else really. Content that didn't move as much like the lego game was able to go higher but it was too much with action sequences and looking around quickly in a game. Hopefully this will work out well.

Just for the record, our image, since it is common height, is 55" high in both 2.35 and 16:9.  We don't do any gaming, and view movies only.  For us, 55" is not too high (nor is 130" wide in 2.35:1). 

• Like 1

The height bothered us more than the width.  At first we were watching at over 56" tall, or 117" in 16:9.  I could have easily fit it, just too much up and down movement, especially since your eyes have to refocus since the top was further away than the bottom.  Lots of eye strain.  Of course that's exaggerated because my black walls are already straining your eyes due to not being bright enough, but still, it felt like a disorienting workout.  If I was just visualizing the screen and guessing it would be one thing but we have watched several movies from multiple sources, sizes, aspects, and heights, just by shining it on the wall.  We kept coming back to the 110" 2.35:1 size as feeling "right".  I probably would have went 120" but admit it was uncomfortable, and my wife definitely didn't like it, so whatever, 110" is still big at our distances and it's already wider than maximum THX recommendations.  

My wife likes it higher than I do though, not sure how we're going to compromise there.  I like it maybe 26" off the ground and she likes it about a foot higher, maybe more.  Of course if you make her happy but then sit up straight and play a video game, the taller height is pretty uncomfortable, plus being lower sounds more realistic with my towers and center.  

One thing I have noticed... By going way larger my picture is not as bright (as my BenQ W1070 was), and I now have less eye strain.

• Like 1

Stayed up until 2 AM installing and watching Transformers. Ugh, the picture is so pretty and my subs are so ugly. :)  

As others fully expected, video quality is an absolute non-issue.  I can't even tell it is a weave at all until I get very close to it.  Maybe should have went with 120" though, the eye strain seems to have been amplified by shining it on the black wall.  

1540552_10152655363319401_48963987675007

• Like 3