Need direction for HT heavy WAF

rockhound

Ok been wanting do this for awhile finally got the green light to build a modest 5.1 HT system. I will attempt to add as much detail as possible, unfortunately I will have to stay within the boundaries of WAF. I can't really complain to much as I have dedicated 2channel room in the house so I have to play nice with this one...happy wife happy life as they say. This system will be 90% movies/TV and 10% music/gaming.

WAF

1. No BIG floor standers I did manage to convince her to keep the Hersey 2's but not sure if they will suffice as mains? These will soon be my sons so I should probably plan on new mains.

2. No BIG box seen that goes boom (sub), I will need to figure a way to have a sub hidden was thinking of hiding it in the media cabinet center14"x14" or possibly have one made to resemble a peace of furniture coffee table?

Room

1. See pics for the layout it is a 20'x20' with a cathedral ceiling

2. Transition from crown molding to ceiling is 9'

3. This spring carpet will be removed and hard wood floors installed

4. 13' from TV to seating area

Budget

Would need to stay below 2.5k, I already have the components needed except for maybe another amp not sure the Marantz SR5005 will cut it or not.

That about covers it the way I see it I have 3 options all 3 will have to figure out what to do with the sub. Speaking of sub I would need recommendations on that also. I can't think of anything else to add. All opinions besides divorce appreciated as its much cheaper to keep her lol!

Option 1

Keep the H2's as mains and add surrounds and a sub

Option 2

Purchase an in wall or ceiling mountable solution

Option 3

Some sort of satellite system/soundbar

post-40775-0-03160000-1418928066_thumb.j

post-40775-0-80440000-1418928168_thumb.j

post-40775-0-73720000-1418928210_thumb.j

post-40775-0-95280000-1418928241_thumb.j

• Like 1

I would probably go with the RB-81 II setup sans sub or at least RB-81 II's, RC-62 II and like RB-52 II or RB-42 II for surrounds if you want to cut cost some.  I would think this would be pretty WAF and its easier to install and more versatile than in-wall IMO.  You got a big *** room so bigger speakers are going to help.  You can also do in-walls for surround duty which in most cases are extremely capable IMO, hell i have them in my ceiling and ive been extremely pleased with them.

You can keep the heresy's if she'll tolerate them and they would cater best to your size room because of their larger driver size.  I had a pair and they had a great sonic sound and a big sound.  Problem would be matching a center that sounds good with them.

Both of these cases you have a subwoofer issue which is hard to solve when you cant have a box.  IB as suggested is a great WAF option but tons of DIY.  The only other option i would think could be OK might be to get a sub and put it under the heresys...  You can also look at sunfire and def tech who usually have more compact high out subs.  They sorta bend the laws of physics in my mind and dont compete with subs with actual big box volumes but that doesnt mean those compact subs sound bad.

• Moderators
I would probably go with the RB-81 II setup sans sub or at least RB-81 II's, RC-62 II and like RB-52 II or RB-42 II for surrounds if you want to cut cost some.

So your thinking the RB anything would be better than the Heresy ll for filling a large room ?  :o

I would probably go with the RB-81 II setup sans sub or at least RB-81 II's, RC-62 II and like RB-52 II or RB-42 II for surrounds if you want to cut cost some.

So your thinking the RB anything would be better than the Heresy ll for filling a large room ?  :o

don't you pick and choose what to quote :).  so out of context.  From a WAF point of view, the RB series is much more acceptable in my mind, if i were a wife and hated speakers than a hersey

Idk the Heresys are a great looking speaker. They look great in that room imo.

You can put a sub right between the wall and the couch and use it as a end table. Leave the heresys and add 2 side speakers. Have a phantom center with the heresys as your center channel as well. Some rs-52ii would work great and look pretty nice also if you can hide the wires in the wall. If they are to big look at the rs42ii. 

Keep in mind this is what I would do with the least amount of adding more stuff in the room. With a nice sub in that corner you will have a great sounding ht with not much added. 

Edited by Cinema_head

My suggestions would be thus;

1) Consider picking up two more pair of used Heresies and running 5 of them total, this is cost effective and will sound better than ANY of the new Klipsch surround sound systems.

2) Heresies NEED a sub, can you swing a table Tuba horn sub with your master?? (Couldn't help myself, I have a wife and don't need or ask permission!)

Roger

• Like 1

Meh!

We never question anything they do with the Kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom, why the heII should we need permission on what to do in a room WE paid for! TURN IN YOUR MAN CARD! probably try to reason with your kids instead of disciplining them too, there is a reason todays kids have NO respect! Off my soap box now...

Roger

Meh!

We never question anything they do with the Kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom, why the heII should we need permission on what to do in a room WE paid for! TURN IN YOUR MAN CARD! probably try to reason with your kids instead of disciplining them too, there is a reason todays kids have NO respect! Off my soap box now...

Roger

Easy on the assumptions, Sport. ;)

The pictures were very helpful.  I see a couple of things.

You have a very clean setup.  No visible wires, TV is wall mounted over a hutch, speakers are mounted low and below the visual size of the cabinet.  I also see nic-nacks on the cab just below the TV.  If your wife doesn't mind the nic-nacks, she might not object to a center speaker.

I know there are those here who like a phantom center, but I am the exact opposite.  The center is the most important speaker in the setup because it centers the sound (especially voice) to the TV.

Others here can give you specific suggestions on speakers, and there have already been some good ones, directly upstream.  I like your Heresy's for L/R, then add a strong center channel like a MTM with 7" drivers, sitting under the TV on the hutch.

Add the two surrounds of your choosing, but check with your wife on whether or not she approves of speaker stands, as the sats should be slightly above ear height.  Maybe connect wirelessly for that clean look, I'll let others comment on wireless.  I would also suggest a sub.  I have a Klipsch RW-12d which is about the same profile as your Heresy, and my highly WAF driven environment, no complaints so far.  Others can advise you on a suitable sized sub.

Edited by wvu80