Flashlight app is really spyware!

tube fanatic

Luckily my phone came with a flashlight so no need to download. 

As far as feeling safe by clicking don't allow goes, malware doesn't need your permission for anything.  That's probably just a red herring and it's going to get whatever info it wants with or without your allowing it.

This is good information and probably is true.  The bad thing is the other 100+ apps on our phones.  I would bet many do the same or similar things, and sell the information.

Take the supposedly harmless Lowe's for instance.  Their app does something very similar and tracks users, changes phone settings, and collects personal information and circulates and sells it whether it is in use or not.  It does tons more.  Read the license agreement.  Our company started developing apps and used Lowe's license agreement (the little box where you check I AGREE) as an example of what some of these apps do.

I have the flashlight app and will probably do nothing...............because of all the others.  This is nothing new and will continue.  Bad news.

Maybe/maybe-not (check Snopes link). Seems like most of those cool free apps are extracting information for commercial purposes anyway - nothing is really free.  Maybe no crimminal aim, these things are probably used to target marketing but then again......it's kinda scary that there are so many hidden things happening on our wireless systems  I have a Google phone but still mostly use my ol' Blackberry and I'll remain a luddite - modern e-commerce seems to have evolved into such a dirty business.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp