Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

• Moderators

Yeah apparently it didn't cross the techs mind, the owners mind, Adams mind, WAKEJUNKIE'S or anyone else in this forum. Lol. I'm beginning to feel more confident in jersey Jims knowing the original tech didn't mess up the amp

• Like 1

• Moderators

I dropped the amp off at 9:30am. He said give him a few hours. Went to a few stores and got something to eat. 3.5 hrs later, I'm headed home with the amp. Hopefully I won't have any more issues with it. The repair shop were super friendly, just stinks they are 50 min one way

• Like 1

I dropped the amp off at 9:30am. He said give him a few hours. Went to a few stores and got something to eat. 3.5 hrs later, I'm headed home with the amp. Hopefully I won't have any more issues with it. The repair shop were super friendly, just stinks they are 50 min one way

spoiled! I think just about anything cool is 50 minutes away from me.

Truly, I am glad as well to hear they helped you and took care of you right away, not making you wait.  That store has been around for 30 years and they didn't last that long with bad service.

I'm sure :rolleyes:  you tested the unit with the techs before you left this time.  You didn't say it, but we all assume the unit met your expectations and worked fine on all channels?

And one thing we'd probably all like to know, what did the techs do to fix it this morning?

And now that it works, does this mean you're not driving it up here to me in West Virginia like you promised?   :unsure:    The snow will only be on the slopes for just a few more weeks.  B)

6ea94dff82964b479b7706c5df84bab1.jpg

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

Thx teaman. 

Scrappy, I haven't always been spoiled.  When I lived near Wakejunkie in Alabama, it was 25 min to Walmart, 45 to the movies and the mall.  Nothing was close when you live in the mountains.

Wvu, yes, their customer service was great.  They stood by their work and their word.  Would have no problem doing business with them again.

I did test it with the tech before leaving with it.  All channels powered on. 

As far as what specifically was done, I'm not sure.  He did find a jumper that was in the bottom of the unit.  I'm guessing he replaced another cap like the first tech did.

I love Snowshoe!  I've been taking my student ministry there for the past 11 years for some skiing and snowboarding.  . Best in the SW that is driving distance

• Like 2

• Moderators

I just got it hooked up and it's working great! The only downside is I dont "hear" a difference when I added the amp. I'm realizing the LaScalas are ridiculously efficient and 200 watts is not just overkill...its a waste.

I'm going to give it some time before I consider parting with this beast.

• Like 2

I just got it hooked up and it's working great!

Michael,

That is great.

The only downside is I dont "hear" a difference when I added the amp.

With a "cheap" AVR you might hear a difference by adding the Sherbourn but with the 5008 beast, I(we) figured you probably would not.

Bill 

• Like 2

Well, maybe this case is closed on the amp that could not be repaired, lol.  At least the amp is working and will be easier to sell.  Maybe some extended listening may reveal a difference in sound compared to the avr.

If the same preamp/DAC, ect is in place, the 200 watts most likely will not make a difference with the LaScala's.  If you sell it, you can always buy and EQ to bring up the low end of the LaScala's.  A friend of mine has one for his LaScala's.  The SQ out of his setup is outstanding!

• Like 1

• Moderators
If the same preamp/DAC, ect is in place, the 200 watts most likely will not make a difference with the LaScala's.

One thought I had was if I ever do go a different direction from the LaScala Trio and those speakers require more power, I could just pick up a 3ch amp to power the front.  Any AVR would easily power (4) RS-62ii's.

Personally if it was mine, and there was not a significant difference (meaning I or anyone else could readily hear repeatedly), I would sell it.

I know that's the "logical" thing to do but I've used power amps for so long that I'm not sure how to act without one.  LOL

• Like 2

I know that's the "logical" thing to do but I've used power amps for so long that I'm not sure how to act without one. LOL

Yes, without the power amps in the mix you feel kinda naked, so to speak, lol.  I can't let the Acurus amp go because It will leave an empty space in my console, lol.

• Like 2

Yes, without the power amps in the mix you feel kinda naked, so to speak, lol.  I can't let the Acurus amp go because It will leave an empty space in my console, lol.

I can't do without my Acurus amps because my NAD pre/pro don't have no amps on board. :o  ;)  :D

It would be tough for me to go just AVR again unless it was the behemoth NAD T787 or an Onkyo/Integra flagship AVR.

Bill

• Like 1

If the same preamp/DAC, ect is in place, the 200 watts most likely will not make a difference with the LaScala's.

One thought I had was if I ever do go a different direction from the LaScala Trio and those speakers require more power, I could just pick up a 3ch amp to power the front.  Any AVR would easily power (4) RS-62ii's.

Personally if it was mine, and there was not a significant difference (meaning I or anyone else could readily hear repeatedly), I would sell it.

I know that's the "logical" thing to do but I've used power amps for so long that I'm not sure how to act without one.  LOL

If you are dead set on keeping the amp... I would look for a AVP, and sell the Onkyo.

• Like 1

I would look for a AVP, and sell the Onkyo.

The Onkyo TX-NR5008 is almost identical to the Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro but with on board amps.  Which in turn is the Integra DHC-80.2 pre/pro. 

Performance in the above three mentioned should not vary much at all if any.

Bill

• Like 2