Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

So what exactly did they "fix" for the $200 I paid them?

Their bank account.

I was afraid of this when you said you've been having trouble with 4 channels intermittently and they fixed 2. Just didn't seem right.  I'd really try for a refund if at all possible.  They didn't fix anything and will want to work on it again, same tech no doubt.  They'll say " That other stuff was bad we fixed last time but you'll also need this.  You pay for the part and we'll put it in for free".  I don't see a favorable outcome, sorry for your troubles.

Yeah, if you can't get a refund you might be better off cutting your losses and have your friend do the repair for you... At least you will know what was done, and that it was done right.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm making a trip after work. The owner wants to hook it up with me and the tech there so we can see exactly the problem. I will express my concerns about the fact that my amp has been down for a month and the issue still has not been fixed. I do not want them "learning" on my amp. I'm hoping the tech realizes exactly what he did wrong. Depending on how the conversation goes, I will likely give them one chance to fix the amp right. If they can't I will expect a full refund and will cut my losses on the gas and time involved. At this point, I just want it fixed.

• Like 2

It seems like you have to hold peoples hands these days to get anything done or you get treated like a McDonalds drive through if you are on the other end.  People have zero passion these days for what they do. Most don't enjoy it and they are there to do as little as possible and just pass the 8 hours so they can go home.   

The so called "Boss" should be embarrassed that his hack tech didnt even check the channels before he sent it out. He was to repair all channels right?   If things get ugly, just show them this thread and Im sure many here will spread the love throughout the net. 

• Like 2

Hey Youth,

The original problem was 'intermittent'  before you took it to the shop wasn't it? Now it seems the intermittent problem is always showing its ugly head. Perhaps this will allow a real fixing of the problem. But also it seems when they put it back together somehow they fed one input to two outputs and one input to nowhere, their bad for not checking. But they are working with no schematic or shop manual as far as I know. So give them the benefit of the doubt. Be the better man in this. I know it is a PITA running back and forth but in the bigger scheme of things(you know life,family,God,eternity) this is small potatoes. If they won't fix it this time for free(living up to their 90 day warranty) get out with or without your $200 and don't look back.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Baba, they actually took 3 weeks before they worked on the amp as they were waiting to get the repair manual / schematic.

I called to speak to the owner today to see if I could bring it by after work. He left around noon so I talked with the tech that "repaired" the amp. I explained to him what was going on and he had no idea what I was talking about in regards to both channels playing the same info and one channel playing nothing. He didn't know what might be causing that to happen.

He mentioned that I brought it in because the amp had distortion in two channels and I reminded him that was not the reason I brought it in. I had channels that would sometimes not power up. He took it upon himself to replace the caps because they were out of spec. I told him I still didn't know what that had to do with some channels not powering on intermittently. He didn't have an answer.

Honestly, I just don't have much confidence in them working on the Sherbourn. I'm sure he is a knowledgable tech. I just do not think he knows how to work on the Sherbourn.

• Like 2

The tech seems to have a memory loss problem. I don't think I would trust this shop for the additional repairs. Sad to say, this might be the result of this shop not knowing how to proceed.

Either that or the information never got to him from whoever Michael dropped it off with.  If there was some sort of mix up in the write up or the wrong info got to the tech, he might have been looking for the wrong problem.  Documentation of the EXACT problem or set of symptoms is critical to getting a proper repair. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Either that or the information never got to him from whoever Michael dropped it off with. If there was some sort of mix up in the write up or the wrong info got to the tech, he might have been looking for the wrong problem. Documentation of the EXACT problem or set of symptoms is critical to getting a proper repair.

I just looked on the write up, she put "Channel going out".  Guess what....the channel is still going out and the "fix" created another channel to go out permanently.  Regardless of how you look at it, it wasn't repaired properly and it is quite apparent it wasn't tested at all before releasing it to me. 

• Like 1

Baba, they actually took 3 weeks before they worked on the amp as they were waiting to get the repair manual / schematic.

Youthman,

I stand corrected. So double bad on them having the manual/schematic and not doing a final check to make sure all channels work. So you were not able to meet with the owner and tech last night. Will you pursue another meet up? Perhaps they could give you the manual for your $200 so your friend will have something to go by.

• Like 1

... He left around noon so I talked with the tech that "repaired" the amp. I explained to him what was going on and he had no idea what I was talking about in regards to both channels playing the same info and one channel playing nothing. He didn't know what might be causing that to happen.

He mentioned that I brought it in because the amp had distortion in two channels and I reminded him that was not the reason I brought it in. I had channels that would sometimes not power up. He took it upon himself to replace the caps because they were out of spec.

I told him I still didn't know what that had to do with some channels not powering on intermittently. He didn't have an answer.

"He mentioned that I brought it in because the amp had distortion in two channels and I reminded him that was not the reason I brought it in.

What??? That's just stunning.  :blink:

C'mon, any tech, any clerk would have written down the reason any piece of equipment was brought in for repair.  Why don't you just 'fess up and tell us what you really told the tech;

"here's my beloved thousand dollar amp, I dare you to find something wrong with it..."  :lol:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

... He left around noon so I talked with the tech that "repaired" the amp. I explained to him what was going on and he had no idea what I was talking about in regards to both channels playing the same info and one channel playing nothing. He didn't know what might be causing that to happen.

He mentioned that I brought it in because the amp had distortion in two channels and I reminded him that was not the reason I brought it in. I had channels that would sometimes not power up. He took it upon himself to replace the caps because they were out of spec.

I told him I still didn't know what that had to do with some channels not powering on intermittently. He didn't have an answer.

"He mentioned that I brought it in because the amp had distortion in two channels and I reminded him that was not the reason I brought it in.

What??? That's just stunning.  :blink:

C'mon, any tech, any clerk would have written down the reason any piece of equipment was brought in for repair.  Why don't you just 'fess up and tell us what you really told the tech;

"here's my beloved thousand dollar amp, I dare you to find something wrong with it..."  :lol:

It don't stun me.  This is how the world wirks these days so it seems.

• Moderators
So you were not able to meet with the owner and tech last night.

That is correct.  The owner went home before I could take it by after work.

Will you pursue another meet up?

Wednesdays are my busy day so I wasn't able to call today.  I will call first thing in the morning to see what we can come up with.  I'm going to ask for a refund.  From the get go, this whole thing has been messed up....simply way too many errors on their part for me to have any confidence in their tech working on the Sherbourn.  If they had followed procedure and not worked on the amp without my approval, I would have picked up the amp and took it to Adam to fix after returning from my visit to see wakejunkie.

Perhaps they could give you the manual for your $200 so your friend will have something to go by.

No thanks.  Adam says he has never paid more than $35 for a manual. 

C'mon, any tech, any clerk would have written down the reason any piece of equipment was brought in for repair. Why don't you just 'fess up and tell us what you really told the tech; "here's my beloved thousand dollar amp, I dare you to find something wrong with it..." :lol:

Here is the proof.  ;)  I explained to her exactly what was going on with the amp and she writes 3 words.  LOL  Regardless, the amp was still worked on without my approval and the amp was not tested prior to releasing it to me. 

complaint.jpg

• Like 1

babadono, on 11 Mar 2015 - 08:54 AM, said: Perhaps they could give you the manual for your $200 so your friend will have something to go by. No thanks. Adam says he has never paid more than $35 for a manual.

I meant if they refuse to give you a refund, hit them up for the manual they supposedly bought to work on your gear that didn't get fixed. You don't need a manual to not fix something. I certainly did not mean give them anymore money.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I called the owner this morning.  He has 2 other techs that can look at it on Saturday morning.  I understand they need to look at it before they can even consider giving me a refund.  Just stinks it's another trip.

Just a few minutes ago, one of the techs called and asked what the amp was doing.  As we were talking about the channels being combined, he asked if the amp has bridging capabilities.  LIGHT BULB!  LOL  I had the amp with me in the car and sure enough, channel 5&6 were set to "Bridged".  Guess the tech bumped the switch during the repair. 

When I explained the main reason I brought the amp in, he suggested that the caps may need changing.  I told him 2 caps had already been replaced.

I'm going to call back and ask if they can be prepared to work on the amp when I drop it off.  Maybe I can go grab lunch while they look at it.  I would rather not have to make a separate trip to pick it up.

• Like 1

Hey, since you're just driving that thing around for hours on end, why don't you just drive it on up here to West Virginia and give it to me, so it will quit torturing you? 

Even though it doesn't work, I'll give you back the $200 you've already spent in repairs.  :)

(wvu80 ducks and runs while a 100 pound Sherbourn amp is thrown at his head)