Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

• Moderators
Consider the cost of a new 7 channel amp.

Don't really need to consider that because I won't be buying a brand new 7ch amp. 

Not an easy decision for you.

This is true.  That's why I'm seeking some input.

Another used amp may need some work in the next year or two and more money spent.

Agreed but for what I pay for used gear, I can repair it several times before coming close to the cost of a brand new 7ch amp.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Play around with the 5008 and then decide what direction to go.

Yes, the good news is I don't "require" an amp to run my 7.2 setup.  It sounds great with all 4 receivers I've compared over the past week.  I may just get the Sherbourn back and use whatever channels that do work consistently for the front soundstage.  I have several options and no time constraint to make a decision. 

• Like 1

I don't know how much you have in the amp but I'm sure it was a youthman bargain. Just have to ask yourself if that plus the cost of repair, if you can recover your cost if you decide to sell it.

What type of warranty will the repair be?

• Like 1

• Moderators
I don't know how much you have in the amp but I'm sure it was a youthman bargain.

Very good possibility

Just have to ask yourself if that plus the cost of repair, if you can recover your cost if you decide to sell it.

Yes, easily.

What type of warranty will the repair be?

That I do not know.  Probably should ask that anyways on the Onkyo TX-NR5008 that I just had them repair.

• Like 1

Consider the cost of a new 7 channel amp.

Don't really need to consider that because I won't be buying a brand new 7ch amp. 

Not an easy decision for you.

This is true.  That's why I'm seeking some input.

Another used amp may need some work in the next year or two and more money spent.

Agreed but for what I pay for used gear, I can repair it several times before coming close to the cost of a brand new 7ch amp.

Are you disappointed in the AVR... Otherwise I see no need to get another power amp.?

Play around with the 5008 and then decide what direction to go.

Yes, the good news is I don't "require" an amp to run my 7.2 setup.  It sounds great with all 4 receivers I've compared over the past week.  I may just get the Sherbourn back and use whatever channels that do work consistently for the front soundstage.  I have several options and no time constraint to make a decision. 

I think you are fine the way you are... You have the La Scalas for the front 3 channels which are the most demanding channels and they don't need amp power. What you have is already overkill IMO.

• Moderators

I think you are fine the way you are...What you have is already overkill IMO.

Says the guy with 2 Danley subs and a 15' wide screen!!! Haha.

No I'm not disappointed in the Onkyo TX-NR5008. It sounds great so far with my limited time with it.

I may not have much choice to get the amp fixed. If I keep it, I want the channels working. If I choose to sell it, having it in perfect working condition is much easier to sell.

• Like 1

I think part of the problem is that you like this amp, I know you do.  :)   You are using emotion to make what should be a financial decision about putting good money into what may be a lost cause. 

I suggest you determine its current value, and if it costs more than a third of the value to fix it up, it's better to cut your losses and move on.

+++

You alluded to this, and I agree with you, it bothers me too that you have had more than two channels go out (and I think they came back in and maybe went out) and now the repair guy says you need two caps replaced.  I don't know if its one cap per channel, but if there are more than two caps, my common sense says the rest are about to go. 

I wouldn't do a repair in that way for the same reasons you don't replace only two blown pistons in your car, the others will not last.  You only do the cheapest repair if your are spending just the minimum to be able to sell the thing.

I'm not an electronics guy, that's just what my common sense is telling me.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with common sense. I'm not sure I'm emotionally attached to the amp. What makes it difficult to decide on whether or not to have it repaired is due to how much I have in the amp. As far as financial investment, I have none. I bartered with a friend who is in the audio business to redesign his website. The only "cost" I have in it is hours of my time and 11years of experience in website design.

If I pay $280 to have it repaired, I have $280 in it. I'm guessing the amp is worth around $800-$1000 in good working condition. My LaScalas probably do not "need" and may not even benefit from 200 watts/ch.

Even Youthman doesn't come across Free 200 x 7 amps too often which is another reason I'm tempted to keep it.

Does that help clarify why the decision is hard?

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

Not to me.  You have no investment in this amp monetarily so every dollar of repair is going to be an expense.  There's the question of 2 channels being repaired when 4 are suspect.  To me that would be another $280 in the future.  Now we're at $560 invested in a repaired amp.  Maybe you can sell it then and make $200-$400, who knows.  The amp is certainly not going to be appreciating in value.  I just don't see the upside. Would you sell it as is for 2-400?  If so, I'd do that. 

• Like 1

(respectful snip)

Yes.  If you got it for free and you will use it, I'd pay the $280.

It's right on that fine line I use of 1/3 of the value vs repair costs.  If you have nothing in it, that tips the scales for me in favor of  doing the repair because now you can put $280 in it and sell it for more than double that.  That's what I would do.

It's always easy to give advice to others when it's not your kid.  :P

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I am not trusting the diagnosis of the amp.  The problem you describe and the fact that it is intermittent on some of the channels leads me to believe the switching relays are the cause.  Most relays/solenoids can be cleaned.  Two caps seems suspect.  Are they in one module or a single cap in each faulty amp module?  I would certainly pose that question as to what the cap's function in the circuit is. 

It should not cost more once you have the amp apart to replace all the same caps on each module as preventive maintenance.  Shame it would be difficult to get a second opinion.  I would certainly get it repaired and put it back into use.  A receiver only has a single power supply for all the channels and it WILL run out of gas when pushed even with highly efficient speakers.  After having separates for so long I could never go back to a receiver.

I sold two DBX BX-1 Reference 2,3,4 channel configurable amps ($5K/each new) once I was comfortable that the Sherbourn was a worthy replacement.  I hope you get it sorted out.

• Like 1

I am not trusting the diagnosis of the amp.  The problem you describe and the fact that it is intermittent on some of the channels leads me to believe the switching relays are the cause.  Most relays/solenoids can be cleaned.  Two caps seems suspect.  Are they in one module or a single cap in each faulty amp module?  I would certainly pose that question as to what the cap's function in the circuit is. 

It should not cost more once you have the amp apart to replace all the same caps on each module as preventive maintenance.  Shame it would be difficult to get a second opinion.  I would certainly get it repaired and put it back into use.  A receiver only has a single power supply for all the channels and it WILL run out of gas when pushed even with highly efficient speakers.  After having separates for so long I could never go back to a receiver.

I sold two DBX BX-1 Reference 2,3,4 channel configurable amps ($5K/each new) once I was comfortable that the Sherbourn was a worthy replacement.  I hope you get it sorted out.

I disagree that he is going to run out of steam with the La Scalas in his HT.... Now if he was going to be powering them outside it would be another matter. I would bet you he is using no more than 10wpc (and that is stretching it) on peaks... More likely less than one wpc and that is if he is listening close to reference level.

Edited by ellisr63
  • Like 2

A receiver only has a single power supply for all the channels and it WILL run out of gas when pushed even with highly efficient speakers.

Under most circumstances I would agree with you 100%.  In this case, the Onkyo TX-NR5008 is a 55LBS beast that will not even break a sweat with Michael's LaScala trio and RS-62's.  My buddy is running a 5008 with a full RF-7 rig in a room(18'W x 27'L x 8'H) with an open stairwell, that is larger than Youthman's  theater room and it never seems to run out of steam with very dynamic action movies.  He is also running a single RSW15 and it definitely isn't bass shy either.

Keep this in mind, these comments are coming from an outboard amp kind of guy. ;)  :D

Bill

• Like 2

.  A receiver only has a single power supply for all the channels and it WILL run out of gas when pushed even with highly efficient speakers.  

I disagree... I am pushing my horns with a 25wpch T chip amp and they will not run out of steam, and it is using a wall wart... Granted my horns are 8db  more efficient than the La Scalas, but neither one of the situations is going to be using more than 10 wpc, and there is no way you are going to run out of steam with such a small amount of power needed.