No more Blu Ray discs?

K5SS

I am wanting to get rid of the 150 or so Blu Ray discs I have accumulated over the past couple years.

I would like to copy the discs on a hard drive before I sell them. I would only consider this if there would be absolutely zero loss in video and audio quality. Ideally, I would have the collection saved on one large HD and have that HD connected one of my HDMI for easy playback.

What are my options and what are you guys using?

I personally can't fathom not having discs. What if hard drive fails and you lose them all? Only way I would ever do something like that would be based on a server something elsewhere where their are backups upon backups. For now I'll just stick to building custom shelves for next to nothing that hold as many as I buy.

• Like 3

I personally can't fathom not having discs. What if hard drive fails and you lose them all? Only way I would ever do something like that would be based on a server something elsewhere where their are backups upon backups. For now I'll just stick to building custom shelves for next to nothing that hold as many as I buy.

That's how I feel also. I guess I'm old school. I still want the CD or DVD disk. I even make a copy of the original so I have a backup!

I have all of mine on my media server along with the originals being in a cabinet. When I was the rep for MediaMaxx (based out of Phoenix I believe), they were using up to 14TB RAID 1 systems and were big on letting end users know that they MUST keep their original software to legally use th media on their servers. The laws are very big towards the movie studios and record labels for the hardware side.

I never even thought about the legality aspect. I don't mind keeping them, I mainly wanted an nice looking menu with easy access to all the Blu Ray discs that I purchased legally;)

Thanks avguytx, I will look into MediaMaxx.

I don't think it's against the law to sell your "used" Blue Rays, it's different if you are selling "copies". There's no law against selling your own personal property,and once you buy the blue ray it's yours. Where the issue is, is where the copy is sold. You are allowed to make copies of your own things.

I am wanting to get rid of the 150 or so Blu Ray discs I have accumulated over the past couple years.

I would like to copy the discs on a hard drive before I sell them. I would only consider this if there would be absolutely zero loss in video and audio quality.

Blu rays can be 50 gigs. You're potentially looking at eight 1-terabyte hard drives. It's cheaper to keep her.

• Like 1

There's no law against selling your own personal property,and once you buy the blue ray it's yours. Where the issue is, is where the copy is sold. You are allowed to make copies of your own things.

Technically I'm not sure you are. The laws that allow you to make copies were made back in the day when you had dual cassette decks. There was verbiage in the law that states the machine you make it on has to be solely for making copies. The reason everybody got in trouble with mp3's is because it was done on a computer, which could be used for other things than making copies.

And when movies/music is put on a "server", it was their/our understanding that legally one was supposed to retain the original hard copy original of it somewhere. Whether or not everyone does that is up to their own conscious. You definitely can't sell the copies though. Funny that you see burned CD's at thrift stores, etc, for sale.

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

I would like to copy the discs on a hard drive before I sell them. I would only consider this if there would be absolutely zero loss in video and audio quality. Ideally, I would have the collection saved on one large HD and have that HD connected one of my HDMI for easy playback.

What are my options and what are you guys using?

I copy all of my Blu-Rays to the HDD using DVDFab... I convert them to MKV files with no loss at all. The only thing that it cuts off are the multiple languages, subtitles, misc adverts, menus, and trailers.

I would like to copy the discs on a hard drive before I sell them. I would only consider this if there would be absolutely zero loss in video and audio quality.

Blu rays can be 50 gigs. You're potentially looking at eight 1-terabyte hard drives. It's cheaper to keep her.

After ripping my Blu-Rays the average size is 20-25GB so it is a substantial savings in size. I copy all mine to our NAS.

If you like to have a nice Media catalog and are to lazy to get up and change the disc (like me)... Look at XBMC, or Plex for a media server and UnRaid for a NAS. If you get a powerful enough CPU for your NAS you can use Plex directly on the NAS. I went with a Atom CPU, and it is not powerful enough to do the Transcoding and NAS work on the NAS, so our NAS is just a NAS... Although I might upgrade the CPU to a more powerful one to integrate the Media Server on it and also to allow more streams of media at the same time.

• Like 1

The whole thing with mp3's derived from how they were "obtained" from the so called "free" sites.

If you are on a server,you have to follow their rules, as they want to protect themselves from you selling copies and it coming back to them.

If what everyone is saying was true, how is it that there are record stores and other stores that can sell used cd's or dvd's and vinyl? You also wouldn't be able to sell them at yard sales either, or on Ebay type sites.

The piracy law is for illegally obtaining the stuff and then selling it again for a profit. You are not doing that when buying the product and then selling it for a loss,and making a copy for yourself prior to doing that is not illegal. Only issue could be is the IRS wanting to get money for the tax side of it if you sold more than $4,000.00 worth of stuff.

The OP didn't say he was looking to go on a server in his initial question if I'm not mistaken.

Jim its a good question - the issue is keeping the "intellectual property" in the form of a copy and then selling the original. Book stores can get away with that bc the understanding is they have the original.

The way we purchase the legal right to listen/watch something is to pay for the disc/download. If I then make a copy of that and sell my disc, the property is technically no longer mine and I (technically) waive my right to my copy. (It is legal to copy your own music for your own use - CD to cassette for use in the car in the olden days :) or blu ray to hard drive as long as you still own the original).

The record/movie company would be out if I bought a movie, downloaded it, sold it and my neighbor did that and his neighbor did that and so on until thousands of people now have the ability to watch this movie whenever they want and the studio only made $20 on the original purchase. (We can all argue they have enough, etc) but that's why the laws are the way they are for intellectual property.

I hope that made any sense. I'm calming a 3 month old as I'm posting this. :-)

Edited by akdave

Jim its a good question - the issue is keeping the "intellectual property" in the form of a copy and then selling the original. Book stores can get away with that bc the understanding is they have the original.

The way we purchase the legal right to listen/watch something is to pay for the disc/download. If I then make a copy of that and sell my disc, the property is technically no longer mine and I (technically) waive my right to my copy. (It is legal to copy your own music for your own use - CD to cassette for use in the car in the olden days :) or blu ray to hard drive as long as you still own the original).

The record/movie company would be out if I bought a movie, downloaded it, sold it and my neighbor did that and his neighbor did that and so on until thousands of people now have the ability to watch this movie whenever they want and the studio only made $20 on the original purchase. (We can all argue they have enough, etc) but that's why the laws are the way they are for intellectual property.

I hope that made any sense. I'm calming a 3 month old as I'm posting this. :-)

I knew a kid in my dorms in College that had a Netflix account and he would get a DVD then copy it and sell the copies to all his buddies then send back the original and get another from Netflix. I dont think he ever got caught but it was pretty shady.

You guys are bringing up excellent points. I am not trying to be shady in any way, i am just lazy and was trying to avoid getting off my couch.

I also thought a menu with all the titles and their covers would look pretty sharp.

i am just lazy and was trying to avoid getting off my couch.

I also thought a menu with all the titles and their covers would look pretty sharp.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-CX960-Blu-ray-MegaChanger-Black/dp/B002M78J70

I've demo'ed one of those or very similar, it was sweet, interfaced to an iPad where you could scroll through all the titles graphically.  Of course that's considered old school now I guess.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters