9 speakers is that to many if a avr is 9.2 and what about subs?

sully141

How many speakers to use?  Enough to get an immersive feeling when watching a movie.  It has been stated before on the forum a good 5,X is better than a bad 7.X.  Multiple things have to be considered when setting of the HT.  How close are seats to the front, back, side walls and ceiling height.  I can't give you an onpinion without more info.

FH, FW speakers deliver ambience and spatial cues.  FW should ideally be 6 ft or more from the mains and FH speakers should be at least 3 ft above the mains near the ceiling.  When all these speakers are to close, the effect of FH,, FW are lost.  Also, there are no discrete channels for FH, FW and only 3 or 4 movies with Dolby Atmos.

Sully, determine budget, avr, amps, theater layout and the answer will get easier.

Edited by derrickdj1

Sully,

When you run your speaker set up through the calibration it will calibrate the heights, so the receiver will not over power them,and they will be fine. I run my system with a 140 watt per channel AVR and my surrounds are only 50 watts with my heights being 85 watts. It runs with no issues and you shouldn't have any either.

Most good avr's only run around 80%-90% or so of their rated wattage, and it decreases with more speakers in the system. With the brick walls, there's going to be the need for a lot of "wall dressing" and it will definitely affect sound quality. I know most will agree to "step up" your speakers and run a smaller set up,but if you are money constrained, focus on the room aesthetics and then play with the speaker layouts.With the length of your room it may well sound better with less speakers, but with that distance, may need the 9 speakers to fill in gaps.

One other option for you do to width constraints may be to only do 3 subs. 1 in front, 1 in the middle, and 1 in the rear.Have the center sub facing in closer to your seating position and the others facing each other from the 2 opposite walls. 

One other option for you do to width constraints may be to only do 3 subs. 1 in front, 1 in the middle, and 1 in the rear.Have the center sub facing in closer to your seating position and the others facing each other from the 2 opposite walls.

It is best not to decide where subs go.  Do the sub crawl to find the best location.  The wrong placement and you can drastically reduce the spl at the MLP.  Room measurements can also be used to see where the subs work best.

Edited by derrickdj1

So technically there is only one LFE channel. However, how does one indicate multiple subs without indicating this in the .x nomenclature? Although it may be a misnomer according to the original specifications, I believe the higher .x number is widely accepted in the industry. Now comes Atmos which has matrix decoding, where extra channels are given percentages of the signals based on the variables sent to the DACs. You can have many many more speakers than channels, and those are indicated by specification as the x. and then for ceiling as the .z in an x.y.z configuration.

Not only that, Dolby themselves indicate in the Atmos literature, they are calling extra subs by multiples. They talk about 7.2.2 meaning 7 speakers, 2 subs and 2 ceiling or upfiring virtual ceiling speakers.

• Like 2

13.2 for me now; can go to 14.5 on this system; & still listen to Stereo Music in 2.2...

this always makes me laugh. No such thing as .5 it's still .1 no matter if you have a 1,000 subs.

LOL!  C'mon man, we know technically you're right, but my Onk 717 is billed as a 7.2 right on the box, and yes, it has two sub-outs.

You can argue with me, but you can't argue with my mighty Onkyo!    B)

this always makes me laugh. No such thing as .5 it's still .1 no matter if you have a 1,000 subs.

I have been calling it .2, .3, .4. 5 for quite some time while always knowing that there can only ".1". :o

So far I can't find a better way to convey multiple subs without always saying "multiple subs", until then it's .4. ;)  :D

Bill

• Like 1

It is best not to decide where subs go.  Do the sub crawl to find the best location.  The wrong placement and you can drastically reduce the spl at the MLP.  Room measurements can also be used to see where the subs work best.

I was using this more as a starting point, I should have clarified a little more, but I think I did clarify in an earlier comment to play with layout.

:) I knew everyone would get all riled up haha

If I'm talking to someone I just say I have 7.1

Nine out of ten people I talk to have no clue what 7.4 would even be. If they come to a demo I say I have 7.1. They listen, jaw hits the ground, then if they ask I lift the screen and see the madness behind it. If they don't ask I don't tell them, cause they prolly aren't that interested in knowing anyways. So like I said I know what you guys are trying to convey I just laugh when I see it cause I know lots of guys who would out 7.8, 7.10, man I even got a buddy who would out 9.16.2 already. :)

• Like 2