This couldn't possibly have been real, but one never knows!

tube fanatic

Actually , what is that silver residue?
I copied this from an amswer on a tube site, but it's accurate:

Tubes have a Getter. The Getter is "cup", sometimes round, sometimes square or even triangular. The purpose of the getter is to hold getter material, commonly its barium or magnesium.

During the manufacturing process, in order to degass the tube after the tube has been sealed off, the tube is "flashed" by an electrical heating process (RF). What's left of the getter material usually ends up on the inside of the tube glass appearing as silver (most commonly seen), red, pink and sometime orange.

Of course, the location of the remainants of the getter material after flashing depends on the actual location of the getter itself.

I'm not talking about the silver on top, if that's what you mean. I'm asking if it appears on the bottom or somewhere else in the tube. I have 2 tubes that are getting a silver spot on them towards the base. Is that the same thing? And if so, is it just condensing it to one spot? I just want to see if this is normal.

Yea very sad.. especially when you realize those tubes were worth $100 each... I have to figure this was a prank...could anyone really be that dense?

Like the guy who, in the early '80s, wrote Stereophile to say he had bought one of the new Compact Disks and whenever he put the needle down on it the tone arm just zipped over to the center.

I'm not talking about the silver on top, if that's what you mean. I'm asking if it appears on the bottom or somewhere else in the tube. I have 2 tubes that are getting a silver spot on them towards the base. Is that the same thing? And if so, is it just condensing it to one spot? I just want to see if this is normal.

Some tubes have multiple getters ..Some have them on the side only, some have on the top and one or two on the side, some have them near the bottom with or without the top.