Alabama police brutality

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Yes, I know we just had a discussion about whether our nations police force is acting in an irresponsible manner after killing a man throwing rocks.  Yes, I know there is a divide in the nation and even here in the forums about this. Some question whether our political leaders are militarizing the first responders. Others defend the actions of officers, saying that until you experience what they experience then we cannot know their minds.

I've attached a video.  I did some background on this so that I could know everything I could before posting it. The man detained by the officers is a 73 year old grandfather visiting relatives.  He is from India. He was walking around the neighborhood but I suppose that was just a bit too suspicious for the brown shirts and so 911 was called. After all, he was a skinny 'black man.'

In swooped the saviors of the world who attempted to communicate with this dangerous 73 year old perp. That proved difficult and so the officers arrested the man.

This is where the video begins.

As you can see, this 'dangerous' 73 year old man was simply standing there as the officer detaining him violently threw him to the ground by taking his legs out from under him. Since the elderly man's hands were behind his back, he had now way to break the fall and it looks like his head violently hits the ground. It is being reported the man is now paralyzed and cannot walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_SSGa7-6BQ#t=161

Guest Steven1963

So....is the forum now a bulletin board for police violence, I have a tv...

The forum has a lounge. It is up to the viewer as to whether they wish to click on a post unrelated to music.  Those not interested in the apparent decline of America can remain in their insulated world if they so choose. Change the channel.  But I am sufficiently disturbed by these happenings that I will occasionally comment on them here, as long as the rules allow it.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

So....is the forum now a bulletin board for police violence, I have a tv...

So, is the tv a bulletin board?  I have the Klipsch forum.  I find it a bit comical that people complain about what they find when they surf the internet.  Get real; it's mostly wasting time anyway.  It's not like what goes on around here is real, real important.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Yes, I know we just had a discussion about whether our nations police force is acting in an irresponsible manner after killing a man throwing rocks.  Yes, I know there is a divide in the nation and even here in the forums about this. Some question whether our political leaders are militarizing the first responders. Others defend the actions of officers, saying that until you experience what they experience then we cannot know their minds.

I've attached a video.  I did some background on this so that I could know everything I could before posting it. The man detained by the officers is a 73 year old grandfather visiting relatives.  He is from India. He was walking around the neighborhood but I suppose that was just a bit too suspicious for the brown shirts and so 911 was called. After all, he was a skinny 'black man.'

In swooped the saviors of the world who attempted to communicate with this dangerous 73 year old perp. That proved difficult and so the officers arrested the man.

As you can see, this 'dangerous' 73 year old man was simply standing there as the officer detaining him violently threw him to the ground by taking his legs out from under him. Since the elderly man's hands were behind his back, he had now way to break the fall and it looks like his head violently hits the ground. It is being reported the man is now paralyzed and cannot walk.

Try sharpening your story telling skills when you have the spare time.

"He was walking around the neighborhood but I suppose that was just a bit too suspicious for the brown shirts and so 911 was called. After all, he was a skinny 'black man.' "

A neighbor called the police and reported a suspicious person walking in the neighborhood and described him as a skinny black man.

One bullet Barney has been fired and charged with assault.

Keith

• Like 1

Try sharpening your story telling skills when you have the spare time.

"He was walking around the neighborhood but I suppose that was just a bit too suspicious for the brown shirts and so 911 was called. After all, he was a skinny 'black man.' "

A neighbor called the police and reported a suspicious person walking in the neighborhood and described him as a skinny black man.

One bullet Barney has been fired and charged with assault.

Keith

What a shame , , the 53 year old man is paralysed  - you could see litterally how he was made to hit the ground like a hammer - all he was doing is walking around -

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/indian-in-us-partially-paralysed-after-police-brutality/article1-1315902.aspx

Edited by Randyh

Well to me he didn't look like a real threat. I watched it a few times.......It's not good...... Now the cop is being charged. I to would have liked to know what was going on before the video started.

As I grow older and look at whats happening around me........I don't like it......

As some of you my know I just became a citizen of this country last year, so lets just say i'm "up" on the laws and constitution of this land. IMHO we are told this is the land of the free......but we are only as free as the government allows us to be.

MKP

• Like 1

My son had something similar happen to him in Huntsville. Police ran his tag because he looked suspicious.  Saw that he had a LTC, asked him to exit his vehicle - exited his vehicle and hit him with a taser.  Well, to the officers surprise - they just held up and shocked a US Military member in the deportment of his duties.  Officer said he was suspicious because no young African Americans that he knows of in that area drives a nice, new Buick Regal, and he had a Florida tag so they thought it was a drug runner.  Officer is up on charges and dismissed from the force after the JAG got involved.  

• Like 3

My son had something similar happen to him in Huntsville. Police ran his tag because he looked suspicious.  Saw that he had a LTC, asked him to exit his vehicle - exited his vehicle and hit him with a taser.  Well, to the officers surprise - they just held up and shocked a US Military member in the deportment of his duties.  Officer said he was suspicious because no young African Americans that he knows of in that area drives a nice, new Buick Regal, and he had a Florida tag so they thought it was a drug runner.  Officer is up on charges and dismissed from the force after the JAG got involved.  

That is not good....and that's the kind of crap that seems to be happening to often!!

MKP

Truly sad story. Glad they fired the officer in question and are charging him criminally. For the vengeance minded if it helps, if one thinks child molesters have a difficult time in jail, the only ones who have it worse are dirty cops in jail.

I was a police officer for almost 8 years and got out of it in great part because I like to win in life, and it is increasingly difficult to do so as a cop. Damned but the clientele, damned by the court of public opinion who saw "Bruce Willis make a sniper like leg shot falling from three stories so it must be possible" and too often damned by politics in respective depts. no thanks. Not paid anywhere near enough to come help for that bump in the night outside your window.

I have thoughts on the rock thrower, but minds are made up and it wouldn't change anything. It looks very bad, I get that. This case with the Indian man imho is a real travesty and there's nothing I hate more than corrupt policing or excessive force.

All of that said, after watching the way Ferguson, MO played out this summer, I couldn't be more glad to be out of the field. When those headlines came out the lines were drawn, the verdict was in. "White cop guns down unarmed black teen." What else do we need to know? Case closed. The cop was wrong right? Well then we find out facts related to the case and it at least made more sense (and it almost always does!). The unarmed black teen was 6'5" almost 300lbs. He's an nfl lineman! He approached the officers vehicle and slammed the door shut as he tried to get out. Who does that? What reasonable person does that? Then he proceeds to struggle for the officers gun and a round or two go off in the car. This is a fight for life. It happened and ended in the time it took you to read my first two sentences. We all get the luxury of taking time to think about "what would I do?..." Well I'd probably stretch first, call for some help, get my mind in the right place and articulately ask this citizen why he's refusing to get out of the middle of the street? I certainly wouldn't shoot him! Until you've been in those situations, it truly is difficult to understand. The moments aren't reasonable. They aren't coherent, they don't make sense and you can die if you choose wrong and you have a blink to decide.

(Enter rock thrower whose back wasn't to the video camera but was to the officers when he turned and brought up his hands in a position as though he was holding a gun. Did he have a gun? A: he did - don't shoot - cop dies, suspect lives. Shoot suspect dies, cop lives. B: he didn't - don't shoot, cop lives suspect lives. Shoot - suspect dies, cop lives. As the cop you may not have time to tell in a blink, but someone who has been throwing rocks in traffic has at least indicated they are willing to do harm if they did have a weapon. We have the luxury of time and resource gathering. LE doesn't in the moment)

Back to ferguson - in fairness, with a few hours of fact gathering the headlines could have just as easily read, "6'5" 300lb strong arm robbery suspect gunned down after struggle for officers firearm". CNN reports it that way and this young man probably still has his career and doesn't have to live in hiding. Both headlines are accurate after all. Additionally we don't have race war fuel on the fire and fewer people have headache with it, fewer buildings burn down, etc. imho this coverage was akin to someone yelling fire in a crowded theater. It's irresponsibile and dangerous. There is no accountability to CNN for stoking the fire. Even the presidents top man came to town and had to quietly leave because it proved to be a legal shooting.

This Indian man is a great example of police brutality, but cases like Ferguson show why cooler heads and less sensational - rush -journalism would benefit our nation. Then, at least in that case we could see why that "discrimination" was 100% behavior based.

I realize I am wide open to cross shred (examination) for sharing this. That's fine, I'm not a defensive person, fire away. I just want to offer a different perspective of my view of this mountain.

• Like 3

I to would have liked to know what was going on before the video started.

The story I recall hearing most frequently, was the she (the lady vagabond) was reportedly wondering along and on the interstate highway, which in turn caused some traffic to back-up. The CHP got out of hand while trying to subdued her.

Edited by Gilbert