Lounge Post

Tarheel

Jim, I was really pissed when the subwoofer section went away.  People expressed their opinions and lo and behold it came back.  Since then, I've taken changes with a grain of salt and an open mind.  It's just a forum.  Check out the "There is no music left at my home" thread for something that's worth getting emotional over. 

Edited by CECAA850

Jim, I was really pissed when the subwoofer section went away.  People expressed their opinions and lo and behold it came back.  Since then, I've taken changes with a grain of salt and an open mind.  It's just a forum.  Check out the "There is no music left at my home" thread for something that's worth getting emotional over. 

I really hated the new forum format compared to the old one for a very long time also.

Tarheel, on 23 Feb 2015 - 8:19 PM, said: and no heads up about your experiment?     ... do I really need to run every change we do by a committee first?   

The forum is a complicated communications system subtle interrelationships not apparent to an outsider.  Some changes seem to be on whim and without apparent purpose.

We originally had forum categories that had become logical and functional in the minds of the members because most had gotten used to what would be posted in "General Questions", etc.  These are ways of thinking, and changes take a while to adjust to the new thinking patterns.  It does seem that these have settled into place in spite of new, not entirely self-evident and sometimes confusing categories like "Lounge".  Members have had to work at figuring out what gets posted in new categories, and where to look for posts in mental categories in THEIR minds.

What you're seeing is members trying to struggle with changes that are not self-evident and don't necessarily work in the way intended by the designer.  The ins and out of the Forum are too complicated for unexplained changes that aren't fully worked out.  

So, IMO, the answer is "yes" to the question do you need to run changes by a committee.  My suggestion is to tend to leave things alone unless there are pressing needs to revise.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

If I'm tracking the logic, it seems like "hot" threads might not have been so "hot" were it not plastered at the top of of the front page for all to see. Rather, those who are really interested in hammering out an off-topic post would navigate to the appropriate section and the people with nothing to offer but snarky useless commentary (such as me) would be less inclined to chime in. I post in all sorts of conversations simply because they are at the top and it's convenient.

I don't see anyone bitching about RTM's absence from the top this whole time. That thread has WAY more value to the perpetual health of the forum than any general lightning rod thread.

you are safe from my abuse of power (or whatever conspiracy you are thinking of)

Really appreciate that incredibly rude comment and accusation.  Thank you.

I think he was being mildly humorous.  At least that's the way I took it, but you've got to remember, I always post with a smile on my face.  B)

+++

Edit:  I just saw Chad's response which I hadn't come to when I wrote my comment, just above.  Chad is the authority on what he means, and his comment was "Just trying to lighten the mood."

That's what I was guessing, and it sounds about right.  :)

Edited by wvu80

I think this resulted from my commenting on a post that claimed to not be political in the posts heading. IMO the post was indeed political. A conversation followed during which a few posters discussed what their interpretation of the "no political posts" actually meant. I suggested that if the purpose was indeed, as some posters believed, to exclude posts that included personal attacks we should just revise the policy to make that clear. I also suggested that to a Moderator.

I think this followed.