Objectionable phrases/words

Hornmiester

Self will running wild always has a price to  pay, even if granted by a government.  This fourm has and still is better than most because people respect each other.  Our common bond and,  fellowship strikes at the core values of the members of the Klipsch community.  Those that believe this show respect and those that don't...............

• Like 1

As a society we are becoming far too comfortable allowing the PC crowd to dictate what is acceptable speech - it is ALL acceptable,
 acceptable; but, never without accountability.  Whether it be a slander or libel lawsuit or a punch in face -- freedom from the consequences most likely has never been guaranteed.  If one knows something will offend another and they say or print it anyway … well, i won’t exercise my freedom by saying what i think of that person. In all honesty, I feel sorry for the person that wants to offend someone. Life must really suck if one has to be like that. Personally, I think life is much more enjoyable when we’re being cool to each other. 

Self will running wild always has a price to  pay, even if granted by a government.  This fourm has and still is better than most because people respect each other.  Our common bond and,  fellowship strikes at the core values of the members of the Klipsch community.  Those that believe this show respect and those that don't...............

The idea here in the usa is that we hold these truths to be self evident, not that our free speech is"granted."

If it were different settings and lets say 50 of us Tailgating at a football game, sipping some suds, having a good time and you heard someone say that phrase, would you be man enough to confront him there and then? In front of everybody and make a scene? And possibly trigger an outright fist fight? Or would you shrug it off and just let it go?

All here should expect that something is going to be said that will offend someone. Cant be avoided. If that phrase bothers you, substitute the G as already discussed. Maybe Gosh, or Goodness or Grapes ............  Its all good man. :D

Agree with the original post/point.

Admittedly, have not read all the responses, running the gamut from on target and specific to disinterested to dismissive and to flippant.

However, may we not want/expect/aspire to decent and respectful talk and conversation among ourselves?  Especially when we knowingly or disrespectfully refer to the greatest of Holy of Holies--our God, Lord, Savior, Creator of us all, and sure hope of all who love Him?

It is not cute or amusing, or "accepted" or of no import when I hear the name of our Lord tossed about so mindlessly, so absently, so casually--and worse yet, as a pejoritive ("God damn". when God so wants us to know Him and love Him and relate with Him.  He sacrificed Himself to save all who will know and come to Him, not to "damn" us to hell.).

So, thank you for the initial and post, because this is something that needs expression, discussion, and understanding--NOW.

To provide even a modest scale of reference . . . how much reluctance would we impose upon ourselves to substitute very worldly terms and names in the place of "God".  Ethnic names? Murderous religious names? Racial names?

But we do for the One who created and loves and provides for us so?

Thank you all for the opportunity to express my thoughts about this!

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 4

Admittedly, have not read all the responses, running the gamut from on target and specific to disinterested to dismissive and to flippant.

However, may we not want/expect/aspire to decent and respectful talk and conversation among ourselves?  Especially when we knowingly or disrespectfully refer to the greatest of Holy of Holies--our God, Lord, Savior, Creator of us all, and sure hope of all who love Him?

It is not cute or amusing, or "accepted" or of no import when I hear the name of our Lord tossed about so mindlessly, so absently, so casually--and worse yet, as a pejoritive ("God damn". when God so wants us to know Him and love Him and relate with Him.  He sacrificed Himself to save all who will know and come to Him, not to "damn" us to hell.).

So, thank you for the initial and post, because this is something that needs expression, discussion, and understanding--NOW.

To provide even a modest scale of reference . . . how much reluctance would we impose upon ourselves to substitute very worldly terms and names in the place of "God".  Ethnic names? Murderous religious names? Racial names?

Baal?  Would you dare defile forsake blaspheme and speak in vain of Baal?  Who is this "One" you speak of?  The one who sent his only son to save us all or the same one who didn't really do that because he is a jewish God?  Look folks this can go in circles until-----yes you guessed it---thread lock and/or deletion.

It's a shame I can't respond to this without getting the thread locked.

It's a shame I can't respond to this without getting the thread locked.

Don't worry I think I took care of that.

^ I don't know about all of that.  I do know, as a hard-core atheist of 22 years, just how merciful and loving my God has been to me, saving me from my arrogance, vanity, self-confidence, my delusions and stupidity, and my "self-sufficiency".

My gratitude brings tears to my eyes every time (which is frequently) I consider His work for me and with me and in me.

I do pray that understanding for others, too!

• Like 2