Objectionable phrases/words

Hornmiester

No one has a right to not be offended; it simply doesn't exist.  The Constitution GUARANTEES me the right to offend and to use the F-word specifically.  See Cohen v. California.

In his opinion Justice Harlan famously wrote "one man's vulgarity is another's lyric."

As a society we are becoming far too comfortable allowing the PC crowd to dictate what is acceptable speech - it is ALL acceptable, any one person's or group's sensitivities be damned.

An example of the aforementioned stupidity is this story where a bi-racial guy was fired because he made unflattering remarks about Michelle Obama.  The PC crowd erroneously claimed it was racist.  He didn't even use a racist word but now apparently if you use ape in a sentence it is verboten.  When unflattering equals racism, we have a problem.  Personally, I found some of the apes in Planet of the Apes quite attractive.

Then you have Universities with their panties in an uproar and want these words banned because they are deemed offensive: illegal alien, crazy, insane, retarded, “tranny,” ***, gypped, “***,” ghetto, and “*******,”

Where does it stop?  It doesn't once you start catering to every Tom, Dick, and Harry so as not to offend.

I would vigorously defend your right to use the f-word, but just because you have a right, does not mean you have to exercise it.  If and when you do exercise that right  common courtesy should be the order of the day. Would you use that word in front of your Granny, pastor, or one year old daughter? If the answer is no then you already understand the word is offensive to some and you have the decency to keep it in check, if the answer is yes, don't expect to be invited to any social gathering on my deck...;) This is nothing to do with the much over-used "political correctness" it is to do with common courtesy. BTW I don't assume for one minute that you use the word prolifically, if at all..

• Like 1

I'll be taking copious notes of everyone's vocabulary in April.

Why take notes? If something is said that bothers you should take the offender outside and express your feelings. I believe that is what you stated should be done.

mostly, i'm just feeling like an ******* today.

This is nothing to do with the much over-used "political correctness" it is to do with common courtesy. BTW I don't assume for one minute that you use the word prolifically, if at all..
Exactly! We have the right but common courtesy should prevail.
  • Like 1

I would vigorously defend your right to use the f-word, but just because you have a right, does not mean you have to exercise it.  If and when you do exercise that right  common courtesy should be the order of the day.

Absolutely - but you don't legislate courtesy nor should it be imposed.

BTW I don't assume for one minute that you use the word prolifically, if at all..

You may assume.  As an adult, I don't limit my language in articulating ideas; the f-word is one of the most versatile words ever.  That said, I choose my language based on audience.  Offending someone doesn't lead to their receiving your ideas very well.

And, by the way, I hate seeing the term the OP originally objected to as well but for different reasons; it is just inane and I find I am not particularly interested in reading whatever was posted.

This is nothing to do with the much over-used "political correctness" it is to do with common courtesy. BTW I don't assume for one minute that you use the word prolifically, if at all..
Exactly! We have the right but common courtesy should prevail.

Social situations call for common courtesy, other situations can be used for the exercising of rights.  Has it come to the point where people do not understand the difference, FFS?

• Like 2

Foul language must not be tolerated and offenders should be banned from the Klipsch forum!!!!!

bullshit_zpssnopqmjh.jpg

IMO, there is a difference between a scatological word (the button above) or one beginning with an "f" -- a good old Anglo-Saxon word originally referring to sexual intercourse, and now with several other meanings, and an expression trivializing or insulting someone's religion or Deity.

Edited by garyrc

We could start fighting about anything. The guy simply said that using the F word in conjunction with "god" was offensive to him. That is understandable. So why the big discussion? Why not just respect his need to not have God dishonored from his perspective?

Geez!

• Like 2