Heritage pricing?

jimjimbo

"The markup is very high just like anything else,"

So what do you think a fair profit is?

A dealer with low rent, low wages, always able to order enough to qualify for free freight, always able to take the prompt payment discount, can do OK with a 30 point profit. Most months of the year he will lose money at 30 points, but with a couple of high volume months he will survive.

• Like 1

• I may have never seen Klipsch speakers discounted until about 15 years ago.  I always wondered if the Good Guys did something to annoy PWK -- like discount his speakers -- because they (in Berkeley, in the very early '80s, at least) ripped the Klipsch labels/logos/badges off of the Klipsch speakers on their sales floor, including an elegant set of Khorns.  I wonder if PWK revoked their right to sell them ...

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

There are a  lot of workers in the factory at HOPE and their output has never teetered  - if the quality can be maintained - the prices will keep going up to reflect the high end product -

keeping the jobs here in the USA is crucial for the factory and the clientele of Klipsch which see a link between the 2 - a loyal bond , -

PWK had a definite friendship with all the factory workers and that is the spirit that still drives Klipsch today - from the bottom to the top , the goal is the same , to maintain a high quality product that is not high end robbery -

• Like 2

MANY moons ago, I had a close friend who was well acquainted with a Klipsch dealer and had spoken with PWK a number of times. The story I got was that Klipsch would pull its franchise from the dealer if it caught the dealer discounting Klipsch speakers. True? I dunno and it appears that has changed.  Both the dealer and my friend have long since passed away. I just know that for the present I'm pretty well priced out of the picture for new KHorns or LaScalas and certainly Palladium.

• Like 2

I never knew the Khorn list for almost twice the price of a LaScala.

Used they are about the same.

Aren't you thinking of the Belles being about the same?

Actually all three used are about the same price these days, depending on location. Yea new the Belles were almost as much as a Khorn, but the LaScalas were about half the msrp as a Khorn.

• Like 1

I would like a pair of Khorns someday….the Big Daddy of heritage. But there's something about the Belles that I like….just a classy looking speaker.

If you have good corners, or can build them, or can build very firm artificial corners, the Khorns are distinctly superior, IMO, not only because of some more bass extention, but also in the midrange.  Also, the tweeters, although identical, are more nearly at seated ear level (for people who are 6 feet or >).  It is harder for some object (e.g., a knee with crossed legs) to get between your ears and the tweeters, causing a treble shadow.

I have Khorns right and left, with a Belle center.  They are all good.

• Like 2

MANY moons ago, I had a close friend who was well acquainted with a Klipsch dealer and had spoken with PWK a number of times. The story I got was that Klipsch would pull its franchise from the dealer if it caught the dealer discounting Klipsch speakers. True? I dunno and it appears that has changed.  Both the dealer and my friend have long since passed away. I just know that for the present I'm pretty well priced out of the picture for new KHorns or LaScalas and certainly Palladium.

Many of the better companies used to be that way.  They didn't want their stuff to end up in junky discount stores with inferior associated equipment.  Those of us who lived through those times know just what kinds of stores those were.  One mentioned an ocean in its name.   Much later there was one with the initials "CC," and there is still one with the initials "BB."  In later years (post PWK?), when Klipsch started selling through those stores, I don't think they gave them Heritage.  In fact, somewhere on the forums, someone reported they went into one of the above mentioned stores, one that carried Klipsch, and asked something like, "Do you carry Klipschorns?"  And the sales person said, "All Klipsch speakers are Klipsch horns."

I remember a Klipsch advertisement that went something like, "The dealer will have good demonstration facilities. His price will be fair but firm."  I had mixed feelings about such policies.  I could see keeping good products out of cheap stores with ignorant sales staffs, but, I didn't have much money then, and sure would have liked to buy Klipsch at a discount.  Some stores would not discount "fair traded" items, but would double and triple discounts other items if you were buying a complete system. 

Last time I checked with my dealer friend, there were still some companies that will not let online dealers discount their products (or they risk having them taken away).  When I was buying my Marantz pre-pro, I was amused by some catalogs listing it at a "great price" -- it may have been at a great price, but it wasn't discounted.

And, yes, Heritage is worth every penny.

^^^ 1997 Dealer Pricing & Brochures, someone please post in plain text; don't know how to do that...

I have access to Acrobat at work. So I may be able to split it up into individual pages... and either convert it to a high res jpg or plain text.

• Like 1

I own a pair of 1972 K-Horns makes them 43 years old. I have yet to see many other brands that are 43 years old that still work like these do. I am sure these will still be enjoyed by my kids and then grand kids if the oil companies do not pollute us all to death. In 1972 I was 14 my dad brought home about 98 bucks a week so it is all relative.

So if new Ks in 1972 cost around 1500 it would take 15 weeks of my dads  pay. Now if you make 500 a week it would take you about 18 weeks so not that much difference.  Rick

• Like 1

Look at speakers in the same price range from other manufacturers.

Heritage is hand made in the USA.

USA - Union made - and that is what we want more off - people in this country do a great job and put out a great quality product -hand made , and good for several generations -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 1