B.B. King not in good shape....

jimjimbo

I actually saw his daughter Claudette live last summer at Blues Brews and BBQ's at Snowshoe WV. She is quite good. She's makin' her daddy proud!

BTW, anybody looking for a hell of a good time, the Blues Brews and Barbecues festival at Snowshoe is on Saturday, August 1, 2015. It starts July 31, but it sucks until Saturday. There are plenty of places to stay, and the temperature is 10 degrees cooler up on the mountain. The best place to rent is Rimfire, and say you want the Village side. You will need to call them to get a village side. There is no way online to specify!  That way you can actually sit on your deck and watch stuff, or go down and eat, drink, and be merry. Trust what I say. This is a great time.

I will be there... 

Edited by mustang guy

he became somewhat a self-parody late in his career.

You see that with sports figures as well although it happens earlier in their lives due to the nature of their profession.  Athletes will hang on and play till they're pretty much forced out of the game.  It's sad to watch their diminished abilities when their former prowess is still fresh in your mind.  It's a subtle reminder, to me at least, of the way time ravages us all. 

Guest Steven1963

I'm not a fan so I have no opinion.  I only remarked because you seem a bit direct and well....brutal.  More so than normal. :P

EDIT: especially of Hooker.  Nope, not a fan of him either.

Edited by Steven1963

I am sad that B.B.King is coming to the end of his illustrious career and that his health is failing him. I saw him several times when his playing was still impeccable his voice as strong as his stage presence. always had a tight big band. A couple of triple bills come to mind for me, 1.) with Robert Cray & Etta James, 2.) with Buddy Guy & Little Feat, 3.) Delbert McClinton & The Neville Brothers. Those B.B.King shows stood out for me. That is how I will choose to remember him.

You folks should buy his CD 'Let The Good Times Roll". BB King plays the music of Louis Jordan, just a great party disc.

I have seen bb about 20 times over the last 25 or so years. I've never been disappointed with his performance. His guitar work has made me such a fan of Gibson. Sure his endurance has faded over the years, I guess I'm just an understanding fan. I've never questioned his love for his music and bet he doesn't need to keep playing, but does because guys like me will continue to enjoy his work.

• Like 1

"When my brother Stevie and I were growing up in Dallas, we idolized very few guitarists. We were highly selective and highly critical. Johnny 'Guitar' Watson was at the top of the list, along with Freddie, Albert, and B.B. King."

High praise well deserved.

I'm not the subject of the thread. Read the title. Read the posts. This is about BB King.

Yes, it WAS about BB King....Guess what?  I started the thread.  I created the title, I posted the initial post.  As has been the unfortunate recent trend on this forum, a very innocent statement and praise for a great musician has been corrupted by those that apparently have nothing better to do.  If you are to form opinions about the performances and merits of those that are at the end of long and illustrious careers, whether it be musicians, athletes, or others, then I guess you are quite sad due to being constantly disappointed. 

I'll have to claim here that "or so" covers a couple years either side of 2002.

I'm not entirely certain he wasn't already dead when they carried him out on stage -- whichever year it was.

I appreciate the correct information.

I just looked it up because I mixed him up with Buddy Guy. I thought I had seen him much more recently than that and he appeared to be pretty healthy. Nope, was Buddy Guy. I'm obviously not a big blues fan. It all sounds the same to me. Except for ZZ Top maybe. It's like blues for white people.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

B.B. King's restaurant in Nashville is fun as hell. There is a band that sometimes plays on weeknights. The lead guy reminds me of Austin Powers. They have some go-go dancers in long sequinned miniskirts that just mesmerize you. And of course a horn section. Just stupid fun, well worth the price of an overpriced steak. On weekends it is stupid crowded though, takes all the fun out of it.

• Like 1