weight loss for old farts

Paducah Home Theater

So, I wanted to ask this here since there is an older crowd who might understand.  

Basically I've always been active, made it to nationals in track, raced mountain bikes, been in triathlons, ran half marathons, taught weight loss classes, had 6-pack abs, the whole 9 yards.  Except now I'm struggling myself.  I have scoliosis.  I tried to ignore it for the first half of my life but in doing so I have worn out my SI joint(s), basically where the spine attaches to the hips.  Due to this I have trouble sleeping, it hurts to run, doing things like squats is next to impossible without severe pain, etc.  I've stood up and instantly collapsed before due to the pain, literally on all fours on the floor.  

Anyway, just wondering if the older crowd have found regiments that help them or whatever, without incorporating an extreme amount of exercise.  I know how to be healthy when you have youth on your side.  I can't handle aging combined with a screwed up back though.  Except for my beloved "bourbon and coke", we eat as clean as possible.  My kids are skinny as can be.  My wife is running 5K's at a 6:30 mile pace.  We're a pretty healthy family.  My metabolism is so jacked up though I'm turning into the sta-puft marshmallow man.  Several years ago I was put on Cymbalta to dull some of the pain and I packed on like 40 pounds due to it within a few months and haven't been able to shed it due to not being able to exercise like I want.  

Is there anything that helps?  I guess I'm going to try weights again while avoiding full body compression movements like lunges, jumps, squats, etc.  Any other advice is welcome.  I've been around the "tough love" weight loss world for far too long though and the typical advice is quite nauseating especially since I used to dish it out so please don't go there.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

-avoid running and  weights - it is summer so take sun baths --

-swimming in a deep pool  helps with scoliosis for flexibility to the joints -cardio - toning while stretching and elongating the muscles -

- muscle tone will come back as calories are burnt and weight will drop -

you can do cycling - pedalling movements while staying OFF of the seat in bursts -work the shoulders - this will strengthen the lower back and abs muscles -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 1

Diet and exercise is the key not one without the other. One change I have made is stretching. I try to do it as often as possible and since I am not as regimented as I would like to be, I go once a week to a sports trainer to get muscles stretched that you cant do by yourself. Having a set schedule for this helps me stay on track. Since I started, I have considerably less back and leg pain and helps me stay relatively active. The pain makes you sedentary which is what you need to avoid. The low impact of the swimming pool has often been suggested to me but hard to work into my schedule (excuses are your enemy too.)

• Like 1

• Moderators

you should avoid running and weight exercices completely - and limit yourself to swimming in a deep pool as that will help with the scoliosis in giving flexibility to the joints while working on the cardio and muscles stretching and elongating rather than bulking -

the swimming will dampen the skeleton from hits and knocks so you should be pain free while excercising - your muscle tone will come back quickly with swimming and you will feel as though you did weights on a high rep level -

the weight will drop as well as swimming is great to burn calories -

you can also do some cycling - pedalling movements while staying off of the seat - strengthen the lower back and abs muscles to tighten that area - again working on the scoliosis -

the trick here is to excercise to help versus exercise to aggravate an issue - pain equals that the limit is reached -the body is sending a message , so listen and take note of the excercises that help rather than hurt -once the balance is found , all should get back in order as healing occurs and the body regenerates and cures -retroactively -

+1 on the swimming, as you already know from Triathlon training, most aerobicly intensive exercise, zero impact, and there are water exercise for low back pain and to strengthen muscles.

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/water-therapy-exercises

• Like 1

Eat less; burn more calories.  The math can't get any simpler than that.  The regimen you choose is up to you.  It doesn't have to be rigorous - just disciplined.  

aaaand... he went there.   ;)

Guess I need to give swimming a shot.  Kinda sucks though, the closest indoor pool from work is like 20 minutes in the opposite direction from home.  Adds like 40 minutes of driving every time I want to swim unless it is summertime.  I've never actually practiced in a pool, used to swim in open water on the weekends.  

I like the old Scarsdale Diet.  Exercising a dieting is best but, you can loose weight either way.  Most book stores should have a copy of the shelf. :)  Weight loos is harder as you age due to decrease in some hormone and metabolism but, it is still possible and will just take a little time.  People above 50 should get an OK from their doctor before starting any vigorous exercise program due to undiagnosised coronary artery disease.

Eat less; burn more calories.  The math can't get any simpler than that.  The regimen you choose is up to you.  It doesn't have to be rigorous - just disciplined.  

aaaand... he went there.   ;)

Guess I need to give swimming a shot.  Kinda sucks though, the closest indoor pool from work is like 20 minutes in the opposite direction from home.  Adds like 40 minutes of driving every time I want to swim unless it is summertime.  I've never actually practiced in a pool, used to swim in open water on the weekends.  

an outdoor pool will do , forget driving - you can do this at home to unwind with a couple of beers -just go to Walmart and buy a  cheap pool -4 feet of water is enough  -

Nothing wrong with walking !  

Even if that is all you can do it will help get your metabolism back in line.  Swimming is great... it takes a lot of energy for me to just keep from drowning.  

A 6:30 mile pace?!  I hit 6:35 for around a minute a couple of weeks ago and that was a full out sprint for me.  I hadn't run for over 29 years and picked it up again last fall.  I never liked it much before but I find that training apps for smartphones do a good job of keeping me from doing too much or too little.  It makes it much easier to stick with it.

• Like 1

With this complex of a limiting medical issue you'd be better advised to approach the problem under medical management.  You do not want to aggravate a spinal problem for any reason.  Most MD's would kill to have a weight loss motivated patient.  You understand the rigors and you have family support, all an excellent foundation for a comprehensive program.  I would suggest a review of your pain management for starts.  See if something local could not work as opposed to parenteral medications.  If you live near a medical university they will have more extensive dietary and PT programs.  Pool based exercise does sound ideal.  There is good medical rationale for you to keep the weight down so funding might be possible for such treatment.  If your weight plus the scoliosis is impeding the mechanics of respiration then losing the wieght becomes a medical necessity.  A complete pulmonary function study will demonstrate this.  Getting old sucks.  I have 3 fused (and plated) vertebrae in my neck and a serious bone spur issue.  Still I keep in the best condition possible. 

• Like 1

Agree that a diet/exercise program should be initiated with medical consultation.  Restorative yoga might also help with the pain and sleep issues and yield other benefits that could help you reduce or get off the Cymbalta.  Good luck!

aaaand... he went there.  

Ha! I was wondering if saying that would be "going there."  Frankly, I don't know how else you respond to that.  Many people seeking a way to lose weight are looking for magic pills.  There aren't any.  

Ooops!  Just went there again. 

Once upon a time I fully believed things were that simple and was quite the jackass about it.  And to some extent, it was that simple.  I used to work with the head dietitian of a large hospital to devise weight loss plans.  But, we were largely dealing with mostly healthy and able bodied 30 year olds who simply chose to eat ice cream and drink a coke for breakfast, sometimes repeating that four times a day.  But, mix in an injured back and the inability to sleep properly, and things get a little more complex.  If it were a stupid simple formula that only required dedication I'm pretty sure I would have mastered it by now.  But hey, thanks for the bits of wisdom, I'm kicking myself for having never thought of such things before.  

aaaand... he went there.  

Ha! I was wondering if saying that would be "going there."  Frankly, I don't know how else you respond to that.  Many people seeking a way to lose weight are looking for magic pills.  There aren't any.  

Ooops!  Just went there again. 

Once upon a time I fully believed things were that simple and was quite the jackass about it.  And to some extent, it was that simple.  I used to work with the head dietitian of a large hospital to devise weight loss plans.  But, we were largely dealing with mostly healthy and able bodied 30 year olds who simply chose to eat ice cream and drink a coke for breakfast, sometimes repeating that four times a day.  But, mix in an injured back and the inability to sleep properly, and things get a little more complex.  If it were a stupid simple formula that only required dedication I'm pretty sure I would have mastered it by now.  But hey, thanks for the bits of wisdom, I'm kicking myself for having never thought of such things before.  

I sympathize.  Good luck to you!

Remember how it felt to feel good?  That is a motivator for me now.  I had forgotten.  Every extra pound is weighing on your spine causing you to hurt more.   That is the simple part... the hard part is doing something about it!   The kind of exercise you have done in the past has to end some time for most people.  I have a brother who spent hours everyday exercising for many years and some of his "parts" are completely worn out.  His back will never let him run again but his knees will still let him cycle for now.  We have to adapt with age.  Sorry if I'm being too obvious but I want to encourage you and let you know that we are here rooting for you!

Edited by muel
  • Like 1