I'm speechless - bike chain cleaner

mustang guy

An essential tool for the avid cyclist.  Particularly the mountain biker!!!  If your chain and gearing system gets "gunked" up, at best an unpleasant ride due to missed shifts, at worst a long walk back to the trail head due to mechanical failure... 

http://www.parktool.com/product/chain-gang-cleaning-system-cg-2-2

♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

...and the front suspenders :)

20150518_075401_zps0ao8rhnm.jpg?14319537

This is a full suspension, carbon fiber framed, Specialized Stumpjumper.  My rocket :D

...and yes, I use a mechanical chain cleaner, with a phallic looking handle LOL

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

Well it might be good for minor cleaning but a good chain off cleaning is the only way to go. I did not have the Park brand but the hassle of changing the cleaning fluid was more work than taking chain off.  A chain guard does not keep chain clean it only keeps you clean. Chains are around 30 to 60 bucks now so cleaning them is good maintenance also helps keep gear wear down. A serious rider can wear chain out in about 2 years of 2000-4000 miles of riding depending on how clean he keeps chain and lubed up.  Rick

Well it might be good for minor cleaning but a good chain off cleaning is the only way to go. I did not have the Park brand but the hassle of changing the cleaning fluid was more work than taking chain off.

I don't agree with this. With the park one the top pops off, you dump it, then pour some more in. The only PITA is that if you chose to use environmentally friendly degreasers such as Simple Green, it may take like 5 times for a real greased up chain. Your choice of lubes can help with this though, the White Lightning was based lube was nice about this. Oil based lubes were worse especially if it has been awhile since the last cleaning. Harsh degreasers work better but you have to be careful about where you dump it plus you're getting it all over your hands.

A serious rider can wear chain out in about 2 years of 2000-4000 miles of riding depending on how clean he keeps chain and lubed up.

This sounds like you are a roadie though. Serious mountain bikers wouldn't wait 4,000 miles to swap a chain. This tool is invaluable for mountain biking. The brushes are great for removing caked on dirt and whatnot.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I use one of these on our Gary fisher 29ers. We spend a lot of time pedaling through swamp and sand down here in Florida so cleaning the chain is something that happens after every ride. I can say I have never looked at it like that before, wow. Looks like my wife gets chain duty from now on so I can sit back and laugh.

• Like 1

Serious mountain bikers wouldn't wait 4,000 miles to swap a chain

find me a chain that will last that long, I WILL BUY IT FROM YOU!!!

With the park one the top pops off

yup, the clips could be better.  I just hold it together with one hand while I use the other so spin the crank (saves from buying a new one at the moment)

This tool is invaluable for mountain biking

:emotion-21:  :smile:  :emotion-21:

• Like 1