Solid state

Schu

The proposal on the table is for a solid state amplifier forum.  I suppose that other requests could be made for other forums, but in reality, that obfuscates this request.  Recommend creating another thread for that subject. 

In no way is this a request to see any changes to the content of the tube-amplifier subforum.

Chris

• Like 1

Guest thesloth

I don't think it's a bad thing to have a solid state section, but pretty much everything today is solid state. Tubes on the other hand are not so common so it is just nice to not have to sift through the majority of stuff to find info about a particularly rare and misunderstood technology. 

Edited by thesloth

All reasonable arguments. 

There are many discussions on SS topologies and measurements that are not typically performed that lead to many of the differences heard in SS amplifiers, which on the whole haven't been discussed in detail on the Klipsch forum.  A SS amplifer forum would help those looking at different SS topologies (A, AB, D, etc.), the number of cascaded gain stages, and feedback schemes and levels involved to understand why there are such audible differences in SS amplifiers.

Additionally, there are a lot of, well, low-cost SS designs that use good marketing but otherwise poor engineering implementations, resulting in cheap but not so good results. Class D designs used in the most inexpensive "HT in a box" receivers immediately come to mind, but also class AB and even class A designs can be in this category. 

There are also many ""chip amplifier" designs that run the gamut of sonic quality that need to be discussed here in relation to high efficiency Klipsch loudspeakers.  Also worthy of note are JFET and other FET amplifier configurations that are making a comeback to the market, driven by the development of SiC and other high-operating-temperature technologies and the SET-like characteristics of these devices.

All of these subjects have been discussed on the Klipsch forums but I note that they all are eventually cut short due to devolving "tube vs. SS" arguments.  A "Solid State Amplifier" subforum would provide a needed container for those discussions and help to those contemplating those kind of products or kits to power their Klipsch loudspeakers.

Chris

• Like 2

Guest thesloth

I am really sick of the whole "Tubes vs. SS" argument threads.................we all know tubes are so much better ;) 

...except when they aren't, but we don't need flaming anymore.  I like productive and focused discussions, not drive bys. The Lounge area is for that sort of thing.

Put up a SS Amplifier subforum and it will be much easier to deconflict with the tube guys and keep the discussions on track and productive.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

I was kidding. I use both SS and Tube gear. They both have their ups and downs. I really want to try some of Mr. Pass' designs, I have not built one yet.

It's been my experience that all the most serious flaming knock-down-drag-outs have been started by "kidding". 

"No kidding."

There have been many advances with regard to solid state over the last 40 years or so. In fact, most of the advances in electronics since then have been with solid state devices. The engineering periodicals announce new SS devices monthly, HEXFETs, IGFETS, SICs, along with high performance Opamps and other large scale integrated circuits (non-digital). Having a solid state forum will provide a place to discuss the leading edge technologies that most people here are using, or may soon be.

• Like 3

"Put it right next to the Pics of Tubes PWK used in his home"

You mean his BGW 100 that he loved?

PWK remarked in a Dope from Hope that it had the lowest TIM distortion of any amp he had measured to that date.

ozg5tvbn4opeh9zmbj6y.jpg

The BGW Model 100 is the most advanced dual solid state power amplifier available.

The basic design criteria used are those which are applied to present day computers and other related equipment.

The mechanical construction of the Model 100 features an all steel, welded chassis for maximum strength and rigidity.

The unit has an internal switch which instantly converts it from a two channel stereo amplifier to a bridge-connected monaural amplifier.

Specifications

Power output: 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 80W into 8Ω (mono)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

The Crown D60/75 was similar, but the µA 739 opamp they used had a blinding 1V/µS slew rate. The BGW used the LM318 in inverting mode with its 70V/µS slew rate.

Edited by djk
  • Like 2

Where do the TUBES go?

"Put it right next to the Pics of Tubes PWK used in his home"

You mean his BGW 100 that he loved?

PWK remarked in a Dope from Hope that it had the lowest TIM distortion of any amp he had measured to that date.

ozg5tvbn4opeh9zmbj6y.jpg

The BGW Model 100 is the most advanced dual solid state power amplifier available.

The basic design criteria used are those which are applied to present day computers and other related equipment.

The mechanical construction of the Model 100 features an all steel, welded chassis for maximum strength and rigidity.

The unit has an internal switch which instantly converts it from a two channel stereo amplifier to a bridge-connected monaural amplifier.

Specifications

Power output: 30 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 80W into 8Ω (mono)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

The Crown D60/75 was similar, but the µA 739 opamp they used had a blinding 1V/µS slew rate. The BGW used the LM318 in inverting mode with its 70V/µS slew rate.

• Like 1

...except when they aren't, but we don't need flaming anymore. I like productive and focused discussions, not drive bys. The Lounge area is for that sort of thing.

Put up a SS Amplifier subforum and it will be much easier to deconflict with the tube guys and keep the discussions on track and productive.

Dido what Chris says, there is nothing wrong with different ideas. I am always learning and the best solution is to hear with your own ears...

Actually, I would like to know the ratio between Tube and SS amp owners who power their Klipsch's. We would be talking 2 channel, I imagine.

Actually, I would like to know the ratio between Tube and SS amp owners who power their Klipsch's. We would be talking 2 channel, I imagine.

I would guess about 1:10 or maybe less.

Bill

.....and then there are those of us that run both tubes and SS in our two channel systems.......

tc

IIRC, this is a request thread for a SS forum (...the title gives it away....).

Perhaps you should bump your Heritage subforum request threads(s)?  I promise to vote for it if you do.

Chris