So who or where is a good source for flac or other lossless files?

Dankimus

I have a couple so far, but man are they expensive.  I would really like to start building my collection.   The quality compared to mp3's, pandora, amazon prime, etc. is night and day better.

Artists I am looking for initially are Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, Eagles, Joe Satriani, Willie Nelson, Jimi Hendrix, and well many others.....

Any help would be appreciated.

The cheapest way I've found is to:

1) get the original discs off of Amazon Marketplace (i.e., go to Amazon and look for the used CD version using the DR Database to find the discs with the highest dynamic range).  They're usually less than $5 for the entire disc (sometimes as little as a penny), plus shipping.

2) Rip the tracks to flac from the discs using something like foobar2000 or Exact Audio Copy

At this point, you've gotten what you've asked for.

You can further improve the sound of the tracks by remastering, or rather "unmastering" the tracks to recover the original performance with full bass and highs intact using the freeware tool Audacity or other audio editing tool.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

What if you could buy a 1TB drive fully loaded with classic rock FLAC already? Wonder if that's out there somewhere and wouldn't that be something........

Guys try to do that up here in Ontario all the time, selling downloaded music library's transferred over to external hard drives and reselling them.

• Moderators

izzat legal?

Yes it is, if your just holding a backup copy for a friend :emotion-55:

If someone needs a backup copy held at a different location, just for safety of course, I would be willing to store it just in case you have a fire or robbery.  To cut down on your expenses to save you files I could send a empty hard drive just to help. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I will say I have had good luck with HDtracks, sometimes they have sales.  Yes they are the cost of a new CD but hey, the way I look at it, is I don't have to drive somewhere to pick it up, or even pay for shipping.  Coarse I only do this with new albums or ones that I own that have been scratched.  As for the rest of my CDs I just rip them when I have time via EAC.  Works good and sound is great.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I have a couple so far, but man are they expensive. I would really like to start building my collection. The quality compared to mp3's, pandora, amazon prime, etc. is night and day better.

That's what I've been saying for over a decade.  MP3's suck, give me lossless or give me death.

jo56steph74, on 07 Aug 2015 - 12:02 PM, said: izzat legal? Yes it is, if your just holding a backup copy for a friend

Ding!!!  I have an idea.

The cheapest way I've found is to:

1) get the original discs off of Amazon Marketplace (i.e., go to Amazon and look for the used CD version using the DR Database to find the discs with the highest dynamic range).  They're usually less than $5 for the entire disc (sometimes as little as a penny), plus shipping.

2) Rip the tracks to flac from the discs using something like foobar2000 or Exact Audio Copy

At this point, you've gotten what you've asked for.

You can further improve the sound of the tracks by remastering, or rather "unmastering" the tracks to recover the original performance with full bass and highs intact using the freeware tool Audacity or other audio editing tool.

Chris

That's some good info, thanks for the link.

Edited by Gilbert