Chorus fabs - pretty

Matthews

even I am drooling over these babies :tongue:

The veneer, iron-on strips were incredibly easy to apply.  Just a little patience and a few handy tools, only took about an hour each.  Front motorboards and bases secured. Sanded down to 500 grit.  2 good coats of Watco Cherry oil and now to wait :emotion-45:  (patience lil' grasshopper) 

WHEW!!!  this has been one LONG day. 

post-36834-0-05180000-1443916087_thumb.jpost-36834-0-43020000-1443916104_thumb.j

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 3

How many coats of Watco are you going to apply?

Put two coats of the Watco oil on today, have to wait several days for it to dry now.  Will finish with 3-4 coats of semi-gloss poly.

Is this your final move Matt?

Likely not a "final move", you know, this hobby thing we have going on here.  However, you will not ever see this pair for sale!!!  They are a part of the family now :)

You could use those for rears and sn*tch a bigger pair for fronts

Not much on rear sound.  Don't watch movies and pretty much strictly two channel. Well, 2.2 that is...

- Thanks for following along, Mark.  Should have these babies all wrapped up by next weekend.  A couple of surprises coming in the build :ph34r:   - they will certainly be "one of a kind" :emotion-21:  

I have no idea what you are talking about

"Likely not a "final move", you know, this hobby thing we have going on here."

I don't have any intention of making any moves, where I'm at is the end of it. Maybe upgrading the electronic end, but speaker wise I should be done. Unless that spare set of MCMs Minermark owns can find its way here. And then I would need to move, I would need to win the Lotto and buy a nice valley to set them up in.

Mark

• Like 2

Put two coats of the Watco oil on today, have to wait several days for it to dry now. Will finish with 3-4 coats of semi-gloss poly.

I suggest you carefully read the directions on the can as different companies have different recommendations.  Two coats was recommended for what I used (I don't remember the brand). 

In any case, leave at least a day and maybe two or three between coats.  The poly takes some time to cure, you don't want it gummy.  When it does dry you will want to dry sand it lightly with at least a 220 sand paper by hand to take out the bubbles.  The 220 will not take off the finish, just the tiny bubbles.  A 400 grit for the final coat is not crazy and will leave you with a fantastic finish.

I used a satin finish on my CF-4's.  It doesn't have as much as a sheen, and it looks a lot more like the stock Klipsch finish with Med Oak, which my CF-4's had.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Going with natural cane grilles ?

boy, wouldn't that look good!!! :)

Have a different plan in the works.  However, the cane grills, something to keep in mind, for the original grill frames.  Being able to change the flavor on a whim, awesome :emotion-21:

Edited by Matthews

did you unload the old cabinets? I don't see them on craigslist anymore!

Yup, a local fellow was very excited to get his hands on them - YAY.  Very happy they went to someone who will bring them back to life. 

He had some crazy ideas (to me).  Said to keep in touch...

even I am drooling over these babies :tongue:

The veneer, iron-on strips were incredibly easy to apply.  Just a little patience and a few handy tools, only took about an hour each.  Front motorboards and bases secured. Sanded down to 500 grit.  2 good coats of Watco Cherry oil and now to wait :emotion-45:  (patience lil' grasshopper) 

WHEW!!!  this has been one LONG day. 

attachicon.giffront1 (Medium).jpgattachicon.giffront2 (Medium).jpg

Where did you get the iron on veneer from? I'm looking to redo my cabs on my forte II I just picked up.

Thanks,

Jim