St. Louis SET amp shootout on Nov. 7th and 8th

sheltie dave

WE are getting ready to rummmmmmmmbbbbbblllle.

In one corner, we have Erik Mandeville's JFL Horus inspired 2A3s, joined by a pair of 211 based Opera Consonance 211s(duh), a pair of Handmade Audio WE 91A knockoffs with 300Bs, a Sean Casper 5998 amp with a WE 421 twin triode, a Sun Audio SA2A3, and a Flip's Stereo homebrew 2A3,

VS

Mike Stehr's Maggotbox EL84 SEP amp.

To even the sides out, Willie will be bringing his old school 26/45 integrated SET stereo amp, Scott might show up with a pair of Welborne DRD300Bs, and Mark may drag over his Yamamoto AO8 stereo amp. They will join the Maggotbox.

We will be listening to the victims on a pair of Altec 19s, DeanG modded RF7s, and some IMFs and LS3/5As upstairs.

Cajan jambalaya and cornbread will be provided, along with some growlers from Schlafly's Micro brewery. We urge you to bring something as well, as all the battles create a powerful appetite.

Please ring me at 314-651-9396 with any questions.

Saturday 3 pm to 9 pm

Sunday 12;30 pm to 6 pm

Thanks,  Dave

image_zpsdg4ghkan.jpg

Edited by sheltie dave
  • Like 1

Mike, I'm building it up big...hand selected parts....built by a Buddhist in the eastern high desert land of Washington state...using only 9 zeros silver solder....with a select hardwoood sourced for specific frequency tuned response.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Edited by sheltie dave

We have a 1500 sq ft house. The vinyl was given away 15 years ago.

Between cooking, eating, hosting, swapping out ten amps in three systems, sampling microbrews and a single malt or two, cleaning up, and being music director, I won't generate comments. This is why I invited folks over, tho there arent any klipschsters at this point.

I already know how these amps sound, the goal here is to get others over. We will have about twenty locals, was just hoping to pick a few more visitors up here.

Edited by sheltie dave

In the living room we ran a Ming Da 6SN7/6DJ8/EL34 voltage regulated/2A3 final stage bling bling preamp with a custom Sean Casper WE 421 triode based SET amp though a pair of IMF Reference 80MKII speakers, or Grant Fidelity LS3/5A speakers. Most of the attendees were quite enthusiastic about the sound, especially when the IMFs were in rotation.

image_zps4fntu2jq.jpg

Edited by sheltie dave
  • Like 1

In the downstairs kitchen, we ran a pair of Altec Model 19s with a Juicy Music Merlin linestage through a custom push pull 6BG4 based stereo amp, and then later a ToolShed Audio Genesis 6 tube amp with some neat pressed hieroglyphics and gold plating.

image_zps7tvt6iyh.jpg

image_zpsmco3a79g.jpg

Edited by sheltie dave
  • Like 1