Khorn Glass Tops

ZEUS121996

I'm interested in putting smoked glass tops on my Ks, but really don't know what a fair price is. The local glass company quoted me $265 each for 1/4 inch and $540 each for 3/8. Does anyone know of a company online, and do these prices seem high or is it just me being cheap?

TY

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

Is it a high quality glass--is some glass made better than others?

Shatter resistant?  Also you have to contend with vibrations from the speakers.

it might cost a few bucks to get the right glass--cut just right.

Edited by rebuy

Is it a high quality glass--is some glass made better than others?

Shatter resistant?  Also you have to contend with vibrations from the speakers.

it might cost a few bucks to get the right glass--cut just right

Now I know why you go as Rebuy

It's tempered, yes some glass is better than others, vibrations are dealt with by using the soft rubber "feet" and it would be custom cut to each tophat. Unless there is a company with a template for Klipschorn tophats

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

I would look into polycarbonate or acrylic sheets. Both can be cut with woodworking tools. I have made several things using polycarbonate. I have only used acrylic sheets s few times. What I like about the acrylic is how easy it is to clean the edges after it's cut: just give it a whiff from a small torch and it flows out like it's been polished.  They come clear or colored.

In this case, I would go with the acrylic. Neither one is cheap from a supplier, but there are a few deals on ebay.

Polycarbonate

Acrylic

If acoustics are important, I actually recommend something absorbent across the top of the Khorns due to the collapsing polar design of their wide and short midrange horn mouths. 

If you try putting something fairly thick (at least 1 inch) and fuzzy/absorbent covering the tops of your Khorns, and have a listen, I think you'll find a significant change in the sound occurs--and I think that you'll like that change.  Carpet in front of the speakers helps a great deal, too, if there isn't carpet there already.

YMMV.

Chris

• Like 1

I'm interested in putting smoked glass tops on my Ks, but really don't know what a fair price is. The local glass company quoted me $265 each for 1/4 inch and $540 each for 3/8. Does anyone know of a company online, and do these prices seem high or is it just me being cheap?

TY

Mark

They are ripping you off at that kind of money. The last ones I bought 1/4 inch were a little over $100 a piece because they could do that here locally but prices go up fast with thickness because that has to be ordered and ground. I bought two 3/4" tops for my Velodyne HGS 18IIs and those tops were a little over $400 a piece.

Also of note is that Klipschorns, while looking pretty, are not perfectly symmetrical. I put together some trace paper and pencil shaded to get exact copies of both my tops of my 1998s and my brother in laws 1989s and there are variations in the dimensions from speaker to speaker even in the left and right matched sets and the glass is not exactly interchangeable between them, so take the time to get tracings of BOTH tops! It is still some CHEAP insurance to keep them nice and looks great! :)

Roger

• Like 1

TY

Mark

Are you putting glass on there so you have a place to put knick knacks ?

• Like 1

TY

Mark

Are you putting glass on there so you have a place to put knick knacks ?

No, it's when I people over, they have a place to put their drinks, why would they use a table?

Roger, I was going to take the tops in and have them do the tracing, but I think I will try Chris' idea 1st. 2 reasons, It's a interesting idea and I'm getting cheap (er)

Thanks to all

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996