New TV's - what say the Forum

richieb

I don't pay all that much attention to the TV makers industry, but I couldn't help see so many ads for 4K TV. So, I looked into what content is out there in 4K. Skimpy would be an overstatement. It seems the broadcast side isn't even standardizing it yet. And on Over the Top [most of our viewing], you need 35MB/s internet speed to see a few Youtube clips and whatnot. I'll probably look into 4k again in a couple years. A nice high end 1080 might be useful for me though. My current screen has a "darks persistent" issue, that I don't like much. The blacks get very blotchy looking. 

Some great deals on a few TVs right now. 

Frys has the Samsung 50" un55js7000  $647 they pay the tax, they also have the 55" for $800 and the 65" for $1100

And Ebay has 2 really good deals rights now, the Sansung UN55JS8500 for $1200 and the UN65JS8500 for $1800, each from authorized dealers. 

Move quickly, these are really good prices, no tax and free shipping. 

I've been on the fence for a few years now and finally got new TVs for the entire house. 

http://deals.ebay.com/5002384484_Samsung_UN65JS8500___65_Inch_4K_240hz_Ultra_SUHD_Smart_3D_LED_HDTV?customid=b22a836a958611e5a17d1a5021a7d42e0000&pub=5574652453&campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

Thank you Slick Deals.com

MrCatsup

Internet/cable speed will be no issue as Google fiber has gone live in my area - 1000/Mbps.

Tiger

I think I'm going to bite the chit sandwich and go all the way with LG 4K OLED technology. I don't seem to hesitate spending $$$ on hifi so TV entertainment should be on the same level. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

• Like 1

I don't seem to hesitate spending $$$ on hifi so TV entertainment should be on the same level. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

Just read the chart before investing unless you have money you don't care to waste.  As opposed to the issues we in audio perceive that cannot be proven one way or the other the issues with perceptible effect of various video levels isn't open to opinion as it's measurable. 

Dave

MrCatsup

Internet/cable speed will be no issue as Google fiber has gone live in my area - 1000/Mbps.

Tiger

I think I'm going to bite the chit sandwich and go all the way with LG 4K OLED technology. I don't seem to hesitate spending $$$ on hifi so TV entertainment should be on the same level. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

Ebay has the LG 9100 for $1400 shipped.  I looked at that but wanted the Samsungs to match.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-55EG9100-55-Inch-Full-HD-1080p-Curved-OLED-TV-w-webOS-2-0-3D/331664814127?hash=item4d38c3702f

This is by far the lowest I have seen from an authorized reseller.

Just my opinion, but I would go to the store that has the largest display of the units you are looking at, level the settings out on all the units and pick the one that you think looks the best and is within your budget and then check around for the best price on that unit.  Your opinion is the only one that counts regarding this purchase and "best picture, best value" is subjective. 

Just my opinion, but I would go to the store that has the largest display of the units you are looking at, level the settings out on all the units and pick the one that you think looks the best and is within your budget and then check around for the best price on that unit.  Your opinion is the only one that counts regarding this purchase and "best picture, best value" is subjective. 

Not a bad idea to check them out, but each TV has an optimum calibration.  You would need to take over the entire area and set each TV to your liking. I'd be miserable doing this.  Like a non audio person listening to several speakers. 

If you take a smartphone with you, you can search for the most advantageous settings on the web while visiting the store, and update the picture of the TVs of interest on the spot, comparing the pictures.  Note that the ambient light around the TVs is usually a harsh fluorescent lighting, which will affect the look of the screens, unfortunately.

Here is one website that publishes those kind of settings for many brands and models: 

http://www.cnet.com/forums/hdtv-picture-setting/

Chris

• Moderators

No. There's a difference there. Don't confuse the two.

Soap Opera Effect is not from improved pixel response time or reduced image latency.

Rather, it's from either a change in source frame rate, or a distortion of the source frame rate using an interpolation filter (motion enhancement).

IOW - Even at maximum frame rate, a moving picture can still suffer ghosting or image persistence. The problem is in the screen itself, not the signal.

True, I turned it off since initial setup, with a native 240Hz I seen no motion blur, so it will stay off. I notice some of the black Friday Tv's go all the way down to 60 hz, not good.

• Like 1

These may be worth waiting for..............                                        

P R E S S   R E L E A S E

Panasonic Announces First U.S. Line of Value-Priced 4K Ultra HD Smart TVs

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/flatscreen_news_story_853.htm?em

……..I notice some of the black Friday Tv's go all the way down to 60 hz, not good.

Agreed.  Great deals on the surface (pricing), but specs on these discounted sets are underwhelming.

CNET offers a plethora of information for those doing research, but it can be a daunting task to wade through all the information.

Personally, I'm looking at a 55" due to my space constraints, and my seemingly wasted time in going through so much specification data points me in the direction of the Samsung model #UN55JU7100FXZA  

My conclusion is based mostly on 4K, all the HDMI inputs being both 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 compliant, and 240 hz refresh rate(ok 120 X 2).

Currently $1099 - http://www.tvsuperstores.com/Samsung_UN55JU7100FX_4K_UHD_JU7100_Series_Smart_TV_-_55_Class_54_6_Diag_52.html?refid=gshop&gclid=CPvv76K0uMkCFQ2HaQodJ-gF1A

Crutchfield has it for $1199 and has provided a quick look spec run down:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30555J7100/Samsung-UN55JU7100.html

Edited by Arrow#422

I spent 30 years in Home Audio/Video/Automation and the last 10 of it as a Manufacturers Rep/Distributor.  We rep'd TV companies like Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer.  It cracks me up about all this new video hype and the crap they keep trying to come up with to sell TV's.  Look at 3D...pretty much a flop.  There's no excitement in video and no margins in it that places really care to sell TV's.  I could care less about 3D, 4K, or BR549 video.  1080p looks great and OTA broadcast looks great.  If you need something better than that, you spend too much time watching tv.  ;)

But that's just me...  Too many years in the industry gave me a don't give a shard attitude.  They can build crap TV's that won't last long and expect us to buy new ones every 5 years.  Nah...

• Like 5

I spent 30 years in Home Audio/Video/Automation and the last 10 of it as a Manufacturers Rep/Distributor.  We rep'd TV companies like Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer.  It cracks me up about all this new video hype and the crap they keep trying to come up with to sell TV's.  Look at 3D...pretty much a flop.  There's no excitement in video and no margins in it that places really care to sell TV's.  I could care less about 3D, 4K, or BR549 video.  1080p looks great and OTA broadcast looks great.  If you need something better than that, you spend too much time watching tv.   ;)

But that's just me...  Too many years in the industry gave me a don't give a shard attitude.  They can build crap TV's that won't last long and expect us to buy new ones every 5 years.  Nah...

I agree with the 1080p versus 4K observation, and many of the other features being included on the new sets.  My response wasn't based solely on video appearance.   But, if one is trying to assemble a HT that is somewhat future proof with HDCP 2.2 compliance & offers HDMI 2.0 throughout the component structure, there aren't many offerings.  This arguably causes consumers to overbuy just to get the features needed - or thought to be needed.  Personally, I'd like a TV to last 10 years minimum.  Honestly, I'm having a difficult time nixing my Toshiba 36", 185# tube television.  The picture is great for being non-HD and it's - 15 years old.  If a replacement TV is going to die in 5 years +/-, then sure, maybe buy the cheapest POS one can find.  4K is really not needed in most situations, and wearing glasses to "experience" 3D is laughable.  An occasional visit to an IMAX theater could scratch that itch if necessary.

• Moderators
I agree with the 1080p versus 4K observation, and many of the other features being included on the new sets.  My response wasn't based solely on video appearance.   But, if one is trying to assemble a HT that is somewhat future proof with HDCP 2.2 compliance & offers HDMI 2.0 throughout the component structure, there aren't many offerings.

It was one of the things I was looking for also, I wanted HDCP 2.2 if possible, the 4K thing was not important, because by the time 4K was standard the TV I picked would probably be outdated anyway. Also was not interested in 3D or a curved screen, I avoided that to start with. I was just looking for good spec's at my price and size, and your right very few sets meet good all around spec's. I really don't think I could have found a better set than the Vizio m65-c1 to meet what I was looking for.

or BR549 video

Your age is showing ;)

Even the AV magazines that are financially supported by the manufacturer ads have admitted that 4K is over the top--as a way to increase flagging sales of TVs and their associated profit margins. 

When the price gets much lower, there are a lot of 4K Blu-Ray video discs that go for next-to-nothing on Amazon Marketplace, and my current TV goes TU, I'll consider the 4K upgrade.  The problem is: I'll have to move my room around to get close enough to see the difference.

Or perhaps my wife will relent and allow a projector on the ceiling and a really, really tall and wide screen at my current watching position (about 10-12 feet from the current TV screen).  Even then, I'll probably have enough loss of visual acuity that it won't matter - it'll just be there to impress my neighbors.

But I'll still easily be able to turn up the Klipsch loudspeakers to compensate for advancing presbycusis. :emotion-21:

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I spent 30 years in Home Audio/Video/Automation and the last 10 of it as a Manufacturers Rep/Distributor.  We rep'd TV companies like Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer.  It cracks me up about all this new video hype and the crap they keep trying to come up with to sell TV's.  Look at 3D...pretty much a flop.  There's no excitement in video and no margins in it that places really care to sell TV's.  I could care less about 3D, 4K, or BR549 video.  1080p looks great and OTA broadcast looks great.  If you need something better than that, you spend too much time watching tv.   ;)

Straight and to the point!  it's like audio manufacturers coming out with speakers that tout a frequency range that only dogs can hear and people running to the store to buy them and then claiming that they can hear it.  :P

I don't seem to hesitate spending $$$ on hifi so TV entertainment should be on the same level. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

Just read the chart before investing unless you have money you don't care to waste.  As opposed to the issues we in audio perceive that cannot be proven one way or the other the issues with perceptible effect of various video levels isn't open to opinion as it's measurable. 

I've read a little research on the perceivability of pixels, but I think one thing missing in charts like that is how image processing handles the data inbetween the pixels - and I'm thinking more about color, than an actually perceived pixel. The color steps from the display are finite, but if the pixels are small enough, then you can mix adjacent pixels together to get a better blend. There is all sorts of stuff like that happening in the displays. 

Or maybe something else is going on entirely - like some other specs that naturally improve with the 4k badge. Keep in mind these are marketing terms...the actual engineering is way too complicated for the general public. So what may be associated with "4k" (as in pixel depth) is really something else - like maybe color or image speed, whatever. I'm not a video guy, but I've had to read up on a lot of this when trying to identify the specs for a big projector install at my church.

The whole "Videophile" world is like another version of "audiophile"....they even have their fancy cable crowd too.

Yes, but unlike the audio world these things are measurable.  My understanding is that these charts are very solid and based on a lot of test data.  Given they go against the flow of sales, that is even better support for their accuracy. 

As in audio, I'll go so far as to say I can't know what another sees and if they are getting some unmeasurable improvement not accounted for by this chart, great. 

Dave