Klipschorns - $500 - Richmond VA

Arrow#422

Do your neighbors like how they sound?

:D

Not yet, but I dragooned my next door neighbor into helping me unload them and haul them inside.  He didn't look particularly happy. Since it's a townhouse community, and we share a wall, I can understand why.

The trip was surprisingly smooth.  No rain in the forecast so I saved a few bucks by renting a pickup.  Tucked them up behind the cab and with a couple of bungy cords, they were ready to go.  The cab broke the windstream, and with their massive weight, it was happy sailing all the way.  Presented the seller, Alan, with some goodies, he let me look through his reject pile where I scored some soul tunes.  Judging from a barcode on the back, these particular decorators spent their life in some small rural college.

I'm missing a cord on one of them that runs over to the upside down connector box, so I have to solder in something tomorrow. Haven't had a chance to hook them up yet.

Do have a couple of questions, though. 

The drivers for the K400's were loose in their screw mounts so I hand tightened them.  Does this effect things in anyway?

Those big honking bass bin caps.  Should they be replaced and what is their value?  This does have a Type AK 2 xover, and given their age I'll definitely be replacing those caps after the holidays.

Here' some pics.  Even though the camera angle puts the khorn up front, in real life they make my mighty Cornwalls look tiny indeed.

Oh and if you look real carefully you'll see my $50 Marantz8b in the background. 

post-12696-0-01560000-1450130064_thumb.j

post-12696-0-34120000-1450130075_thumb.j

post-12696-0-85720000-1450130084_thumb.j

Edited by thebes
  • Like 1

Great score Thebes!!  There's an o-ring in between the K55 and the K400, should be replaced, then hand tighten down.  If it were me, I'd replace all of the caps in the crossover.  Go to the Tech section to find the crossover schematic.  Are you going to paint them, or?  Have fun!

Thebes, I'm thrilled you scored these K-Horns!  If it were me, I'd go to eBay with the AK2's and see what Al, Dean, or Bob can do for you. Depending on what he has, I believe Al has been willing to lend a pair of networks at a very reasonable cost.  If you eBay the AK2's, be sure to offer International shipping. 

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but first I have to see if they work!

Jim, these things are truly butt ugly.  They are like the "date" you find in a bar 15 minutes before closing.

Eventually I'll fix them up, but I'm primarily interested in sound, not aesthetics, so we'll see.

Edited by thebes

I was regularly advised by older mentors to "go ugly early", that way you don't go home alone.

You know, a 10 @ 8pm slowly deteriorates to a 3 @ 2am - or worse.

Take care of business as you see fit, and please enjoy my find.

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 2

They should fit in a mini-van fairly easily.  Here is a photo I took inside of a 4Runner.  It was a bit of a puzzle to get them to fit, but I still had enough room for two people to ride in front!

rqwxt1.jpg

Are those Decorators?

Opus can make a pair of Ks with collars fit in a Prius LOL

Mark

No, they were B-style.

please enjoy my find.

Finally got the chance today. Had to do some rewiring, hooked them up, fired up the $50 Marantz8b, and wallah, sound in all six drivers!

Even sitting in the middle of the room, they sound better than my Cornwalls, although the bass and soundstage are obviously affected.

Lots of work to do to get them properly situated and  may have to enclose the backs, but I'm truly thrilled by what I'm hearing.  What a treat to have the beasties in my own domicile,

Yeah for me and thank you Arrow!

• Like 1

Eventually I'll fix them up, but I'm primarily interested in sound, not aesthetics, so we'll see.

Congratulations! Microwatt tubes and vinyl!

Khorns set-up proper can sound rather amazing.

You could eventually sand the black off the fronts, maybe re-veneer with something nice...

Edited by mike stehr